cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tires date ????

steppinstone
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have been reading through the forum and keep coming across tire date's . The 1988 gulfstream coach I purchased a year ago the tire's look great no cracks or wear on the tire's they look brand new. So today I went out and looked at (1) tire driver's front the date code on them was 169. If I'm reading them right is original I did not find any dot stamps on any of the other tire's. would the date be before dot stamp or after? I say this because there is a (4) # code 1114 then dot stamp.
27 REPLIES 27

steppinstone
Explorer
Explorer
dtucker3usa wrote:
You already said that you don't want anything to happen to your loving family...replace the tires.

Your so rite what was I thinking.. I can replace tires not my loved ones!!!

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Parallel Lines wrote:
I am wondering if I am reading the date codes on my tires correctly. I have photos of my tires but apparently I am not tech savy enough to figure out how to link them to this post. What I see is as follows.

Front tires say: DOT EMF2, then in the depressed oval, 2KK0205. I think this means my front tires were manufactured in the second week of 2005.

Rear tires say: DOT EKF2, then in the depressed oval, 3YF328. I think this means my rear tires were made in the 32 week of 1998. My MH is a 1999 so these would probably be the original tires.

Does it seem like I am interpreting this information correctly?

in my opinion your 100% correct
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=172

Parallel_Lines
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if I am reading the date codes on my tires correctly. I have photos of my tires but apparently I am not tech savy enough to figure out how to link them to this post. What I see is as follows.

Front tires say: DOT EMF2, then in the depressed oval, 2KK0205. I think this means my front tires were manufactured in the second week of 2005.

Rear tires say: DOT EKF2, then in the depressed oval, 3YF328. I think this means my rear tires were made in the 32 week of 1998. My MH is a 1999 so these would probably be the original tires.

Does it seem like I am interpreting this information correctly?

dtucker3usa
Explorer
Explorer
You already said that you don't want anything to happen to your loving family...replace the tires.

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
I had a blowout on a 5 year, 1 month old outside rear dual tire. Did over $2,500 damage, including denting the drive shaft. I've had two different sets of 19.5 tires that blew a tire at the 5 year point. One set was 159's; the other 670's; both Goodyear.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
I had an old tire peel the tread part way off. It did not blow, but the lose tread beat on my gas tank each revolution. Tank repair - $600. This happened 4 miles from my house before "just one more trip". Change all the tires.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
steppinstone wrote:
I want to thank every one for helping me with my tire date issue. Good thing I looked at them for next season this was a very unexpected issue. I find it hard to believe these tires are that old from the condition of them but it is what it is.Do any of you think I can get away with just replacing the front steer tires seeing how my trips are local like 150 mile radius or just bit the bullet come spring.

I learned how to read the date codes AFTER I had my first blowout due to 10 year old tires that, from all appearances, were in great shape. I would recommend replacing all of them. A blowout at 65mph is no fun, even if it's on the rear. And if it doesn't cause you to wreck, it WILL cause lots of damage to your coach.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
steppinstone wrote:
I want to thank every one for helping me with my tire date issue. Good thing I looked at them for next season this was a very unexpected issue. I find it hard to believe these tires are that old from the condition of them but it is what it is.Do any of you think I can get away with just replacing the front steer tires seeing how my trips are local like 150 mile radius or just bit the bullet come spring.

If the treads good and no sidewall cracking at all and take a look for any splits between the tread on the running surface real close
if this all passes the sniff test I would not have a worry in the world about driving them for short distances as u suggest.

steppinstone
Explorer
Explorer

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
As posted, "DOT" is at the BEGINNING of the code. The 3 (really old tires) or 4 digit date code at the END and usually in a slightly "embossed" area since that part of the mold is changed weekly.

Yes, you read left to right.
X-2

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Why not drive the motorhome to the nearest tire facility and have them look at ALL the tires for the correct dates? All the tires might not have the same date. Then you'll get an accurate answer.

why bother the accurate answer is here and very easy to understand ?this is not rocket science and iam sure the op can read his own date codes as he already has read one.
I would look at least two on the rear and at least one front
and if same pretty good indication there all the same

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Why not drive the motorhome to the nearest tire facility and have them look at ALL the tires for the correct dates? All the tires might not have the same date. Then you'll get an accurate answer.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a web site with photos and explains what the numbers mean:
tire DOT
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Greyghost wrote:
Now that you have two different opinions as to the age of your tires, why not take a picture and post it. That will eliminate the confusion.

no confusion on my part tire date is the last 3 or 4 numbers his last number s are 169 so 16 week 1999
My Michelins and my continentals on my class show the date code as the last numbers in a oval mine DOT XcXECX 1515
he says his last numbers are 169 in a oval