cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tires date ????

steppinstone
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have been reading through the forum and keep coming across tire date's . The 1988 gulfstream coach I purchased a year ago the tire's look great no cracks or wear on the tire's they look brand new. So today I went out and looked at (1) tire driver's front the date code on them was 169. If I'm reading them right is original I did not find any dot stamps on any of the other tire's. would the date be before dot stamp or after? I say this because there is a (4) # code 1114 then dot stamp.
27 REPLIES 27

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Now that you have two different opinions as to the age of your tires, why not take a picture and post it. That will eliminate the confusion.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
steppinstone wrote:

thanks for the response If I am reading it right as you look at the edge it goes 1114 dot pj12 dbiv 169 so the first # is nov. of 2014 correct thats the date correct?

just what I told u in the first place don't u read posts to your question 11 week not month so last week of march

Okay this is how it reads from left to right I getting confused are they ----original's-- or--- made in 2014 ??

based on my dot numbers I think 10forty2 is correct and these are original tires
16 week 1999

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
steppinstone wrote:
I"m very sorry I meant week not month .Owning a class A motorhome is all new to me.I have been out injured all summer and not been able to use coach cause wife will not drive it to big (to nervous). So I am trying to make a list of things to get done on it over the winter. So when the snow melt's I can just jump in and go..The tire's were #1 on the bucket list don't want any thing happening to my loving family.

I just went out in the garage and looked at my Honda's tire date code (coach is in storage 17 miles away).... and I have 7 numbers in the oval.. (185 3115). So, different brands might show the DOT number a little different but will always be in the 'oval'. I'm assuming that the '185' might be the plant where my tires were manufactured. They are Yokohama's.

My old sports car parked next to it has date codes 1304 (only numbers in the oval), they are Michelin Pilot Sports. Even though they only have 10,000 miles on them since replacment, they are starting to show very small cracks at the surface tread. (1990, 58,000 original miles total).

Safe travels, glad that you are checking one of the most important items on your RV!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
As posted, "DOT" is at the BEGINNING of the code. The 3 (really old tires) or 4 digit date code at the END and usually in a slightly "embossed" area since that part of the mold is changed weekly.

Yes, you read left to right.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

steppinstone
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
steppinstone wrote:
thanks for the response If I am reading it right as you look at the edge it goes 1114 dot pj12 dbiv 169 so the first # is nov. of 2014 correct thats the date correct?

just what I told u in the first place don't u read posts to your question 11 week not month so last week of march

Okay this is how it reads from left to right I getting confused are they ----original's-- or--- made in 2014 ??

steppinstone
Explorer
Explorer
I"m very sorry I meant week not month .Owning a class A motorhome is all new to me.I have been out injured all summer and not been able to use coach cause wife will not drive it to big (to nervous). So I am trying to make a list of things to get done on it over the winter. So when the snow melt's I can just jump in and go..The tire's were #1 on the bucket list don't want any thing happening to my loving family.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
steppinstone wrote:

Which number is in the oval? Date code is typically at the END of the DOT number in an oval. If the number at the end is 169, then as indicated by an earlier poster, the tire was likely manufactured during the 16th week of 1999.

Reading Tire Date Codes
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
steppinstone wrote:

steppinstone
Explorer
Explorer

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, because the date code must be changed every week, it is normally in a slightly lowered and often oval area at the very end of the DOT number, and only on one side of each tire.

Be aware that a 3 digit date code WAS used prior to 2000, and indicates the WEEK and YEAR. So a date code of 169 would have been made the 16th week of 1999, 1989, 1979... That is why in 2000 they went to the 4 digit code-- no more "which decade" questions!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Many times tires are put on inside out so the date stamp is not readable unless you go underneath the vehicle. In my experience, when you see DOT on the side, then a series of numbers and letters, then there is an oval patch that looks like a brand almost with 4 numbers in it. There is always four numbers, not three. 0199 means first week of 1999, 2707 means 27th week of 2007.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

drwwicks
Explorer
Explorer
To add to the comment, the DOT date shown in the oval "window" is only on one side of the tire. If it's on the inside sidewall, it may be difficult to spot. And yes it looks like you are in good shape as long as they all the same or close.
2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
steppinstone wrote:
Hello, I have been reading through the forum and keep coming across tire date's . The 1988 gulfstream coach I purchased a year ago the tire's look great no cracks or wear on the tire's they look brand new. So today I went out and looked at (1) tire driver's front the date code on them was 169. If I'm reading them right is original I did not find any dot stamps on any of the other tire's. would the date be before dot stamp or after? I say this because there is a (4) # code 1114 then dot stamp.

assuming your reading everything correctly that the 11 week of 2014 so basically as good as new.Michelin says 10 years as long as sidewall and tread are good

now be ready for a line of posters to tell u exactly the same thing(date wise)