cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires off ground question

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Every now and then when I level the mh, a tire will end up being off the ground. Keep in mind, this is a tag axle. This has never bothered me until I started seeing others spend a lot of time driving onto wood just to keep tires from being air borne. Just read an article in the new Motorhome magazine page 64 and it says "If any of the tread is unsupported, it can cause internal damage that may not be obvious at the time." At my job I see huge cranes all the time, set up for days, with all their tires off the ground. In fact this is the proper protocol for cranes. So where's the problem? Someone please inform me. If I have to carry lumber with me for this it will greatly add to the aggrivation and time in setting up....but I don't want to tear up my tires. Comments??
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
31 REPLIES 31

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We always park with all tires on the ground and the jacks are used to level and lift some weight of the suspension for less movement inside. If we were so off level we needed to put boards under the tires because they were off the ground, we would move to a different site or head for the nearest Walmart for the night.

Well I figured this answer would sooner or later appear. We just completed a short, 1,000 mile trip to the California Sierras and back. We made reservations at a campground that we'd never been to before. Our rig is a 36' diesel pusher and, while I've fitted it into some fairly tight spots, it does require at least that much in length plus a bit for the toad.

So, we booked a sight, AGAIN, never been there, that would accommodate our rig. Well, we arrived to see that, that site was seriously un level. I worked for over 1/2 hour, digging, trying, digging more, loading boards, trying again and, finally got it somewhat level. But, both the wife and I were not happy, that was an un safe condition.

So, we talked with the campground host and told them of our situation and that we'd never been there before and, we booked a site that was accommodating for the length but, was outstandingly un level and that it was an unsafe condition. The headlights on our rig, normally around the height of just above my knees on level ground, were almost at my chest.

So, the campground was almost completely full, as all of them in that entire section of CA and the Sierras is commonly at that time of the year, but, she had one spot, next to them, that was better but, not by much. So, we moved to it. I still had to dig out the back for the duals to "drop" into, and the skirting for the edges of the body so there would be no damage as I not only dropped into the recesses I dug but, as I dumped the bags, it would go even lower.

So, while this happens in the rear, I strategically placed my lumber to the rear of the front tires so that I would "roll up" on that lumber as the rear dropped down. The calculations were perfect. The skirting was about 1" from the ground, and the headlights were "only" waist high. The coach was dead level, the interior doors, stayed where I would leave them (a secondary test for me to test level) as well as the normal freezer plate level.

Now, some of you might say, "We would move to another sight", YEAH SURE YOU WOULD. Then you better plan on another site in another STATE! That campground, as well as many of them in the Sierras, (as some of you know them) is an outstanding campground. A very nice creek flowing through it from Rock Creek Reservoir. Tall pine trees, outstanding air, in a mountain atmosphere and more.

No, opting for another campsite is not a choice. And, like stated before, all of those mountain campgrounds are full, for most of the season 'till the snow comes. And even then, the hard core campers are there 'till they're basically forced out.

Anyway, I guess it all depends on your outlook and value of your situation. I was not the only camper that had to adapt to some seriously un level spots. About 30-40% of those spots are that far off. But, they're occupied.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

tsjoshua
Explorer
Explorer
I never take the tires off the ground, it tends to stress the frame and can lead to cracking of windshields or even forcing the windshield from it mount.
USN Retired - ETC(SS/SW) - AFT VARIETY

Currently working at Norfolk Naval Shipyard
2017 Georgetown 377, 37'
2003 Jeep Wrangler

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always park with all tires on the ground and the jacks are used to level and lift some weight of the suspension for less movement inside. If we were so off level we needed to put boards under the tires because they were off the ground, we would move to a different site or head for the nearest Walmart for the night.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Of course I never raise the rear wheels, but the DW doesn't like my front end wheels off the ground unsupported so I use blocking with wood under them. What really helped me with my leveling jacks is I bought a 8' long Douglas Fir Beam (6" X 6") I made 3 two foot cuts with a chainsaw (which gave me 4 two foot pieces). I take the 4 pieces with me if I'm going to a place where I know the front end of the coach needs to be raised up. This 6" X 6" beam that I paid $8.00 for from a local lumber yard has given my jacks an extra 6" in length. I haven't had my front wheels off the ground since.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather see "tires off the ground" than "pants on the ground" anyday. :E
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
AikenRacer wrote:
Every now and then when I level the mh, a tire will end up being off the ground. Keep in mind, this is a tag axle. This has never bothered me until I started seeing others spend a lot of time driving onto wood just to keep tires from being air borne. Just read an article in the new Motorhome magazine page 64 and it says "If any of the tread is unsupported, it can cause internal damage that may not be obvious at the time." At my job I see huge cranes all the time, set up for days, with all their tires off the ground. In fact this is the proper protocol for cranes. So where's the problem? Someone please inform me. If I have to carry lumber with me for this it will greatly add to the aggrivation and time in setting up....but I don't want to tear up my tires. Comments??

Well Sir,
"Aggrivation" in setting up? Well, all I can tell you is, it's not all that hard to get out, open a compartment, bring out what few blocks may be needed, place where they're needed, get back in, drive on them, DONE! Leveling is always a debate on this and other forums. I'm not a fan of having ANY tires off the ground when leveling. We've been in several situations where I used every piece of lumber I carry to keep things safe and stabile.

By driving onto a block, or some, to get it primarily level, you keep from putting too much strain on any ONE portion of the frame, body, windshield and much more. Then, if blocks are needed in the front, then I will put one or, whatever's needed under the front jacks so they too don't have to travel that far and, they don't have to do all the work to get the rig level.

If you think it's too hard to carry a few blocks, boards, pieces of whatever to use in assistance in leveling, that's certainly up to you, it's your rig. Now, as for tire damage, well, it took about 4 or 5 responses for someone (Wolf10) to get the message out about "partially supported tire treads" in this issue.

I've seen many "Stair step" ramps made out there from 2x6s or 2x8s and the way about 95% of the guys use them is, INCORRECT according to the tire manufacturers write ups on tire damage issues. The actual way to use a stair stepped, home made ramp is, UPSIDE DOWN.

That way, there's no sharp edges for the "hot" (just traveled several hundred miles) tread to sit on. The tread is completely supported, side to side, and full front to back. And, your rig is extra stabile due to several touch-points in contact with the ground. (all the tires and, all the jacks)

But, that's way to hard for some folks to grasp so, it's up to the individual and whatever makes them happy.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Partly unsupported tread does not refer to the entire tread being off the ground. That would be a fully unsupported tread.

It refers to a portion of the tire not being fully on a leveling block.

Tire hanging in the air, no problem for the tire.

I find the rig is more stable if the jacks take most of the weight but the tires are still on the ground or leveling blocks to some extent. Tires on the ground adds some friction which seems to take that side to side sway that I notice when both fronts are fully in the air.

As others have said. never raise your back tires or you might roll away.
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
I purchase 3 sets of this (Clicky). CW had a special price of $17 per. Have used them now for 8 Mts and no issue to date. SO far no problem using on our 40Ft

Clicky
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
To mush misinformation here.
Why would it hurt anything to have the tires off the ground.
Not one thing.
As far as keeping the back tire on the ground. If you have 4 jacks down where's it going to go? NO WHERE!!!!
Let me see a few hundred pounds pulling down on the axles verses a few thousand pound pushing down on the axles.
DA!!!!
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

deereone
Explorer
Explorer
I never worry about front tires off the ground. But I do keep the rears touching or blocks under so the park brake will hold.

Devonm2012
Explorer
Explorer
I was always told rear tires are NEVER to be off the ground. I abide by this. I also do not like front tires off the ground. I will try to always use 2 by 8 planks when needed. Now, I have had them off the ground before, but try not to. We always reserve "level" spaces but campgrounds are of the opinion that "flat" and "level" are one in the same, which is not even close!!

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmmmm, what about the tires on airplanes or the ones used on the space shuttle? Being off the ground doesn't seem to be a big concern with them.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
A tire can be damaged if it is PARTIALLY supported by a block (with part hanging over it).

As you suspect, can't imagine tire damage from the whole tire being off the ground.

But, clearly, never raise the rear off the ground-- that is what keeps you from rolling. And, if a severe storm comes up, high winds with even the fronts off the ground can put a huge stress on the jacks.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know. But, I am thinking the statement that all the tread must be supported refers to using blocks and to the point that you souldn't use a block narrower than the tire.

Jack_Kay
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen it and done it. I never have the rear wheels off the ground because on the parking brake. I don't make a habit of having the front up though.
Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA
2014 Honda CR-V
FMCA #F341229