cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Over the past few weeks I've been shopping for a low miles (25k or less) used 2007/08 motorhome. No particular brand. I've gone to look at several and probably called 10 or so for additional information. With the exception 1, all have had the original tires. Come on folks 10 years is a little long in the tooth for RV tires. No wonder you hear so many blow out stories.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
11 REPLIES 11

UltimaRV
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, don't let tires stand in the way of a great coach, but try to use it as a price negotiation point. And just like tires, check battery age too; both being age dependent and costly. Exciting to buy, so have fun!
Dian, Robert & Precious (taking a break - see profile)
2000 45' Featherlite 5000, tag, slide, Detroit Series 60
2006 19' Towcorp enclosed trailer w/60" tongue
2004 13' Ultima GTR (9.9 seconds standing quarter mile)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Over the past few weeks I've been shopping for a low miles (25k or less) used 2007/08 motorhome. No particular brand. I've gone to look at several and probably called 10 or so for additional information. With the exception 1, all have had the original tires. Come on folks 10 years is a little long in the tooth for RV tires. No wonder you hear so many blow out stories.

If you look even further back you will still find even more original tires - the stories of blow outs are usually because as the coach gets older the owners tend to not keep an eye on the pressure in the tires (generally the issue for a blow out, just no one will admit that THEY are the problem) - IMHO buy what you like and then find your replacement tires - drive it in and change them out, in most cases you will not find a Coach with less than 25K miles on it that has new tires, just not going to happen.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah 10 years is getting up there. Still though for myself I do think that if you have the coach stored indoors and the tires not exposed to elements much (except for when you use the coach), you can get 7 or 8 years out of them if they are a good brand. My opinion only.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
DryCreek wrote:
Ya' know, I've been noticing the exact same thing. We are in the final stages of our search for a short class A, and with very few exceptions, all of the tires have been original equipment or very near to that. But then again, when you think about it, how many miles are on those coaches we've been looking at? Compare that to your average sedan or pickup truck of the same vintage. Those folks parting with the "middle aged" motor homes just didn't use them that often.

The unit at the top of our list is a 2007 model, with just under 17K miles (and OE tires). The inspection/registration expired in 10/2015. To me, that kind of usage explains the lack of tire replacement.

That and the fact that most people will resist buying new tires when there is still plenty of thread on the existing ones.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Ya' know, I've been noticing the exact same thing. We are in the final stages of our search for a short class A, and with very few exceptions, all of the tires have been original equipment or very near to that. But then again, when you think about it, how many miles are on those coaches we've been looking at? Compare that to your average sedan or pickup truck of the same vintage. Those folks parting with the "middle aged" motor homes just didn't use them that often.

The unit at the top of our list is a 2007 model, with just under 17K miles (and OE tires). The inspection/registration expired in 10/2015. To me, that kind of usage explains the lack of tire replacement.

DnK77
Explorer
Explorer
As long as it is priced accordingly, I would prefer old tires that would get me to the tire shop.
1995 Foretravel U-240, Cat 3116, 3060R

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Simply drive it very carefully to the tire store.

I'd not allow the age of a tire to be the reason to miss a good deal.

We put about 1500 miles on our old tires prior to buying new. They looked great when we first got our coach, then we started to see the dry rot cracking on the sidewalls.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Very easy to negotiate the price of tires into the purchase. If you were selling the MH, would you replace the tires before the sale? Purchaser may want another brand. Let the new purchaser put what they want on and if the tire blows out setting on the lot, so be it.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did the sellers say the tires were good and had plenty of tread left?

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
No matter how many times it seems to be discussed, tire age is something that continues to be ignored by many RVers.

Doesn't hurt to bring it up again!
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
More than just a "little long."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad