cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to drain or not to drain fresh water

mcal63775
Explorer
Explorer
Do you guys and gals drain your fresh water from holding tank and water heater when you get back home and leave coach/camper sit for 3 to 4 weeks? Or do you leave water in them for next time, whenever that may be. I have always drained , but I wonder now if its really necessary to do that, do to time involved for fill and drain, and wasting the water.
33 REPLIES 33

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
all I can say is if it smells like rotten eggs, you waited too long to drain the system

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I fill it in the spring and empty it in the fall. Been doing it for 30 yrs never a problem.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
Effy wrote:
sailor_lou wrote:
rav wrote:
we go about 2 weeks between trips and I drain the fresh water tank, I don't drain the water heater.

Same here.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

x3 - drain the tank, leave the WH alone. I never think it's a good idea to let water just sit for any extended period of time. Good invitation to bacteria and mold.

What do you think happens in a dark, damp, empty tank? Same thing that happens with a half full or near empty tank of diesel fuel, we grow algae.

Best way to store is full

I don't have diesel, I fill my fuel tank upon return of every trip and drain my FW. To each his own I guess. I haven't heard of anyone dying from leaving water in their tank though, it's just what I do. I'm sorry if my answer somehow offended you although I am not sure why other than it disagrees with your opinion.

Water can be known to harbor coliform bacteria - especially on a well. Not knowing or testing the water at each CG, I empty when I get home. Again, that's my preference. Sorry if it somehow ruffled your feathers. Perhaps I should check with you from now on before responding on my method so as not to upset you.
2013 ACE 29.2

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
I drain the fresh water tank, I don't drain the water heater. We also use bottled water to drink.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
sailor_lou wrote:
rav wrote:
we go about 2 weeks between trips and I drain the fresh water tank, I don't drain the water heater.

Same here.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

x3 - drain the tank, leave the WH alone. I never think it's a good idea to let water just sit for any extended period of time. Good invitation to bacteria and mold.

What do you think happens in a dark, damp, empty tank? Same thing that happens with a half full or near empty tank of diesel fuel, we grow algae.

Best way to store is full

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on quality of water inside tank. Water from home or other municipal supply we will leave and top-off for the next trip out which is rarely more than a few weeks, unknown or suspect campground water gets drained off as soon as we leave camp or get home.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I don't drain either tank. No point in it for me since that water is not used to drink or cook in.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 1000gal tank at a camp. filled with chlorined water, in two weeks you can see a touch of green growing. thats algae. change your water only takes couple min.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,yes. Hardly ever use fresh water tank anyway.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
no,yes
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I sanitize with bleach at the start of the season and then partially fill with chlorinated city water. Don't drain until end of season. But for the most part we only use that water during rest stops to flush. And use park water when parked at a RV park.

This is what I do as well.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I sanitize with bleach at the start of the season and then partially fill with chlorinated city water. Don't drain until end of season. But for the most part we only use that water during rest stops to flush. And use park water when parked at a RV park.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
sailor_lou wrote:
rav wrote:

Same here.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

2013 ACE 29.2

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I filled up with municipal water, which has chlorine, etc in it, I do not drain it since the water is already treated.
If I have filled up at an RV park that uses pump water, that does not contain the various chemicals, I usually use that water on the yard when I get back home.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
rav wrote:

Same here.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy