cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toad hitch

skier842
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hitch on my newly acquired Alfa Gold. I want to tow my 2001 Dodge 2500 pickup that had a hitch mounted on the front, (yes front). I want to know if I can tow the Pickup with a tow hitch to tow hitch arrangement with the ball mounted on the MH and a trailer hitch connected to the pickup? What are the concerns. I believe that the MH will pull just like having a trailer behind.

Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7

skier842
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I'm going with the Blue ox route as I see a lot of them around and many recommendations.

Thanks all

George

SeaDog_BRR
Explorer
Explorer
Your MH will pull the weight of the pickup fine. The few nickels you will save by using some home grown system instead of factory base plates and a good tow bar like the Falcon II or Blue Ox does not make good sense. Think about the liability of using a system that is not tested or designed for the application you are thinking about.
Greg aka SeaDog Ret Navy
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS TT
96 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ W/SO (selling)
06 F350 6.0, Harley Ultra Classic 🙂 64 corvette 🙂

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
Tatest, thank you for your clear explanation. It made a concept that was unclear to me crystal clear!

Elizabeth
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look for a hitch-to-hitch towbar (I've seen them in use for moving used cars around in pairs). This would have vertical flexibility at both ends, and you might find one long enough to deal with the range of vertical movement at the rear of a diesel pusher.

My problem with your single hitch ball idea is that there will not be sufficient vertical flexibility to deal with how much the rear of your motorhome moves on bumps and dips found at driveways, in campgrounds, and even at intersections of heavily crowned city streets.

From the rear bumper of your motorhome to the front axle of your tow, the difference in height can easily vary by more than a foot. Commercial towbars accommodate this by having 30-50 degrees of free vertical movement at each end of a fairly long bar. Even with this much to work with, towbars or baseplate mounts have been known to fail with a single excursion outside the design range, when something hits the stops and one tries to lift the towed vehicle into the air or slam it into the ground.

With a single ball at one end, the towing connection solid at the other end, you will be regularly exceeding the range of motion of a ball hitch, and possibly the strength of your hitch receivers, if you hit that situation where you are trying to lift half the weight of your truck off the ground at 50 mph on a construction dip. This happens even when using well designed hitches, and tow bars, but without flexibility at both ends of the towing equipment it is going to happen real soon.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

JackMS
Explorer
Explorer
The reason you can't is that you will get A LOT of sway with that setup. Toad hitches are triangle shaped, basically, to help prevent this.
2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune 34pdd, Cummins ISB 300, Allison 2500MH, Onan 8.0QD
Prior Toad-2001 Chevy 2500 CC 4WD
Toad-2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Aventa II

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If I am understanding you correctly, No, you cannot pull using a 2 inch receiver on the toad. You need to get of properly designed and configured base plate for the pickup.
Roadmaster or Blue Ox would be good choices. Make sure that the tow bar you select has sufficient capacity to tow the pickup.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
??? For the life of me I can't figure out what you're trying to discribe. I understand you have a 2" hitch on both the mh and the truck and you want to connect them together by putting a ball on the mh and what??? on the truck's 2" hitch opening? Sorry, I get a little dense sometimes...well actually, most of the time.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....