cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Total Rebuild of a 1979 Dodge Class C

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I would say some of you have seen the start of this build that my brother bgriffey had posted, Well I have now bought the RV from him and plan to post the pixs of the build I have found a lot of rot in this RV I have torn out everything on the inside and have the rear opened up and the skin off the lower driver side, I will be buying a camera for my wife for christmas and im sure she will take the pixs if I can learn HOW to post them on here, Please remember its winter here in Kentucky so it will be slow but we will keep the pixs coming, Like I said this will be a total build from floor to walls and roof and custom inside build so I would appreciate all the help I can get this will be my first build and I will be learning as I go so any info will help. THANKS......Tony Griffey.

A new RV can be very expensive and if you already own an outdated RV then you should just consider a complete RV remodel which can be a significant amount of money cheaper than the cost of a brand new model. If you are retired and use your RV to travel then why not save the money for your travels rather than on spending a large chunk of money on a brand new travelling vacation home. When you decide to have an RV remodel done you can have your old model completely gutted and rebuilt to look just like a newer RV and when the work is done you will not even recognize your old mobile home. Going about having a new RV to travel in this way can save you thousands of dollars and you will not have to worry about the payments on a brand new RV home. Many retired people are travelling this way nowadays so they can travel the country and be comfortable while doing it, and there are many others that own these vehicles that they will take on summer family camping trips. The RVโ€™s that are made today are unbelievable and have all of the luxuries of home at a fraction of the size, these make it great fir families and retired folks to travel comfortably, and having an RV remodel done you can make your old RV look just like a brand new one.

Statistics show that the amount of registered RV homes on the road is growing steadily every year, and much of this is due to the baby boomer generation retiring and wanting to travel the country in comfort and style. Having an RV remodel can make your RV brand new. Some things you may want to consider is having all new beds and appliances put in. Since RV appliances are smaller than your normal home kitchen appliances they are much cheaper, and a complete RV remodel will probably cost you anywhere from $5,000 to $12,000, depending on how many changes are being done. The latter price could even be a little more if you are having your RV completely gutted and redesigned. It will still save you a lot of money over purchasing a new RV home. Another thing to consider during your RV remodel is if you plan on just remodeling the inside or if you want to have the exterior redone as well, and if this is the case the project will cost more money but will still be cheaper than buying a new RV. Most of these vacationing and traveling vehicles have a type of siding on them, and the more modern ones are sometimes made of more durable fibreglasses and plastics, these materials are very nice since you do not ever have to worry about rusting.

If you plan on getting a loan out for this remodeling job then you will first want to get various estimates, much like a home remodeling project. Once you get all the estimates you want you can then apply for the amount of money through your financial institution or credit union. The amount of money you need should not be hard for you to get approved for, especially if you have good credit. If you are a retired individual you most likely can take the money out of your pension or 401 funds, and this would be your best bet due to interest rates. Usually the place where you originally bought the RV can do the remodel for you as well, and if they cannot they can usually refer you to someone who can do the job for you. With the popularity of these vehicles constantly growing there are also many new dealerships and shops that specialize in these vacation vehicles. Having a comfortable vehicle to travel year round in or to just vacation in yearly is a great asset and can also be a great stress reliever. It is also a very popular vehicle for families to use on family camping trips, and the nice thing is that if the kids want to rough it while camping they can just sent their tents up right outside the RV.
Without Trucks,....America Stop's
3,483 REPLIES 3,483

lzasitko
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother: We have a Ford E150 Handicapped van (ie Raised roof, lift etc) and the one manifold cracked. Could not find cast at a decent price but found a set of shorty headers for next to nothing $100 or so for the pair). Even my son who is a certified mechanic did not want to work on it, simply too hard so he talked a friend of his (unemployed and need the money) to do it. Same thing when the intake mainifold decided to spring a water leak, talked a neighbour into doing it.

OldTrucker: engine looks really good all cleaned up and painted. Last time I painted an engine was many years ago and at the time it was on an engine stand so a lot easier to do then 'in-place' like you are doing

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a few photos of what I have done so far today, Right now I'm off to the parts store to get the Exhaust Manifold gaskets, Check out how clean the big block is,...I Love it.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife has a 2000 Dodge 3500 Ram Van with a 360. I would choose Chinese water torture over trying to get those manifolds off. You cant even get your hands in there.

skimask
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
You ever noticed that exhaust manifolds are a pain in the backside?

Except for the stuck bolts, I'm of the opinion that, compared to 99% of the other vehicles I've ever owned, the exhaust manifolds on this 440 are a piece of cake, just because you can get to the bolts from the bottom AND the top (i.e. doghouse). And now that I've replaced all those rusted out bolts, and put anti-seize on threads and lockwashers on the heads of the new bolts, the next time they have to come out will be about as easy, if not easier, than pulling the valve covers.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I will be tearing the motor down today, Removing everything on the top so it can be painted, And hopefully I can get some more work done in the next 3 days.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
falconbrother wrote:
....LOL....TEN DASH FOUR.............:W

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
skimask wrote:
When I get around to pulling my valve covers off for cleaning, I'm going to paint them with that high temp wrinkle black. I did a set of valve covers for a Buick 231 back in the day. The paint dries with a fine crinkle to it...something different.

One thing's for sure...you're engine is much better looking than mine!
IF, that's a big IF, the case ever comes around that a guy has to pull the motor out of these things, how do you suppose is the easiest way to get it out? Thru the cab and out the door? Pull the front clip and take it out the front? Drop it out the bottom after removing most of the suspension?
I was thinking about getting a set of valve covers, I like the sound of that wrinkle black I might try that, The best way to pull the motor is remove the front clip and pull it out the front, I dont think they will come through the cab and if they will the trans would have to be droped first from the bottom, It's not really hard at all to pull the motor and trans at once through the front after removing the clip, If this 440 ever comes out it will be replaced with a smaller motor and the 440 built for a old dodge street car.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II

skimask
Explorer
Explorer
When I get around to pulling my valve covers off for cleaning, I'm going to paint them with that high temp wrinkle black. I did a set of valve covers for a Buick 231 back in the day. The paint dries with a fine crinkle to it...something different.

One thing's for sure...you're engine is much better looking than mine!
IF, that's a big IF, the case ever comes around that a guy has to pull the motor out of these things, how do you suppose is the easiest way to get it out? Thru the cab and out the door? Pull the front clip and take it out the front? Drop it out the bottom after removing most of the suspension?

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I got the Valve cover Gaskets and paint today, They had to order the Manifold gaskets so they will be here in the morning, I should have this finished up by the weekend as long as UPS brings the Manifold, Also started putting the gray water tank in.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I also took the driver side Exhaust Manifold off and found that it has a small crack in it too, I think I can weld this one up because it is not yet leaking, I will just have to get some Nickle welding rods to weld with, But I just might order a new Manifold for the driver side also, This way both sides will be new.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned the motor up today and tried a little of the paint just to see how it is going to look, I think it will turn out great after I strip everything off of the top end of the motor and do the painting.

skimask
Explorer
Explorer
oldtrucker63 wrote:
My parts should be here this week sometimes, Ordered from Year One, I still have to order the long sleeves for the studs, There five of them, I'm going to get the stainless steel type, That should take care of the rusting up so bad, I'm going to get some spark plugs and wires and some cleaner and paint, This weekend I should have the motor finished and I'm hoping it will look as good as I picture it in my mind,:h If so I'm good there,...We'll see this weekend.:B

Mine also had these pieces of tin-work that were used as heat shields for the plug wires. They were a bit of a pain to put in with the manifolds and all. Needed like 7 hands to do the bolts, tin, manifolds all at the same time. One piece was missing and I ended up fabricating a mess that I clamped to the manifold itself to act as a plug wire heat shield.
It's either that or get some of that plug wire heat wrap stuff. I can easily see how a set of wires could get burned up that way.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
I also checked with Year One about a set of headers, They can get a set that would fit with a little Mods but it would take 3 to 4 weeks to get them, Maybe the headers can be installed in the future, Right now I just want to get this ride on the road.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
My parts should be here this week sometimes, Ordered from Year One, I still have to order the long sleeves for the studs, There five of them, I'm going to get the stainless steel type, That should take care of the rusting up so bad, I'm going to get some spark plugs and wires and some cleaner and paint, This weekend I should have the motor finished and I'm hoping it will look as good as I picture it in my mind,:h If so I'm good there,...We'll see this weekend.:B