cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tour de France

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering how many are watching Tour de France.
I find myself not watching the riders all the time but checking out all the European style RV's parked along the route. In the last couple of days I have noticed some American style Class A's and wondered how they got there - shipped over maybe. It must be a feat to drive a wide body A on those narrow roads. Interesting to see.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)
11 REPLIES 11

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
The Class A's I saw appeared to belong to spectators as they were parked along the roads amongst many European units. One in particular stood out because it had "Chieftan" spelled out in big letters on the side - isn't that a Winnebago model ? Another looked to be a Holiday Rambler.

Very interesting to read info about the team buses. They are probably worth a few bucks.

The scenery during the race has been spectacular too - riders probably don't see it, only pavement and wheels!

Actually a British Company imports US Class A's for sporting teams primarily Motorsport ones. I would guess they would be driven on the A Roads and Motorways, as the very small side streets would not be much fun in Italy or France

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
The Class A's I saw appeared to belong to spectators as they were parked along the roads amongst many European units. One in particular stood out because it had "Chieftan" spelled out in big letters on the side - isn't that a Winnebago model ? Another looked to be a Holiday Rambler.

Very interesting to read info about the team buses. They are probably worth a few bucks.

The scenery during the race has been spectacular too - riders probably don't see it, only pavement and wheels!
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
The team buses I have gotten a good look at the front or back were either VanHools or Setras.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
The RVs in Europe tend to be quite trim compared to the US models. However, there are plenty of big busses driving on roads of all sizes. (Also big team busses during the tour.)

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Effy “I swear it looked like yesterday's post stage interview with Ritchie Port he was standing in the doorway of a MH.”

Most likely the team bus ~~

Each team has team bus --pretty impressive rigs. Mostly setup for the support crew and transporting the team & stuff, team meeting before race, etc.. They are there before the race and cleanup afterwards. From what I have seen, many sitting areas, some food prep,coaching stuff for route reviews, videos, etc… but not sleeping quarters. Impressive big rigs – Not sure but believe it is One team bus per team.

What is banned is Motor home setup normally, and letting a Pro sleep and stay in the motorhome throughout the 3 week race versus a hotel. They have to go to use the hotels provided by the race (which have included drug raids, in past years, trying to cut down on the use of performance enhancing drugs). Some control aspect due to all the drug issues in the pasts, and some keeping it level for all athletes.

Logistically if they were to allow it, it would become nightmare.
Plus the keeping it fair, aspect does come into play, there is a big benefit to a rider if when they finish, they could be in their "traveling" home immediately (for cleanup, recovery time, controlled environment), all the teams have nutritional cooks, massage personnel, and other support staff part of supporting the athletes.

The book (The Secret Race) on the extent of drug use and blood doping that "Lances" team, had accounts of the bus being part of where it happened, during some transportation days. The team bus's do get checked, just could be harder to do if a lot were allowed.

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
Just wondering how many are watching Tour de France.
I find myself not watching the riders all the time but checking out all the European style RV's parked along the route. In the last couple of days I have noticed some American style Class A's and wondered how they got there - shipped over maybe. It must be a feat to drive a wide body A on those narrow roads. Interesting to see.

I watch and it's great to see the best - but for me more fun to watch the Tour de Colorado or as some call it USA PRO CYCLING CHALLENGE if I were still young na...not even in my dreams - what a way to see Colorado -we watch it to see how great the drives look from the perspective of the race Last year we watched as they went over the Green Bridge outside of Red Cliff between Minturn and Leadville this year the Route is a drive everyone should take again just beautiful. Go Tejay

Amazing how the Tour de France can hold your interest just a great Race for such a long race - Love it.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Markiemark32 wrote:
Effy wrote:
Markiemark32 wrote:
Avid cyclists here and yes watching the tour. I am also amazed with all the smaller RV's that caravan around the tour!

Thought it was interesting, that Tour of Italy one pro, stayed in his own RV during the Tour (A Fleetwood Class A) not a normal practice at the Grand Tour's, and Sky had plans to have a dedicated one for Froome at the Tour, and the race organization banned it!

No RV's for TDF Racers

I didn't know that. Man what a bummer. Well, no coach then I am stopping my training for the TDF. Absurd. I guess I could take my ACE. It might pass for one the Euro models. I get the point that France's streets were not designed to house a hundred busses, or is this more about UCI control?

UCI - Control
Claims it gives a riders an advantage and they are trying to keep it fair for all participants, and I'm guessing if they started to allow it for individual riders, with the Tour De France there are 180+ riders, could become a issue with parking and moving indvidual RV's for riders.

There is an article about Sky using this one during the GIRO (preparing for TDF):
RV GIRO

Markiemark

I swear it looked like yesterday's post stage interview with Ritchie Port he was standing in the doorway of a MH.
2013 ACE 29.2

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Markiemark32 wrote:
Avid cyclists here and yes watching the tour. I am also amazed with all the smaller RV's that caravan around the tour!

Thought it was interesting, that Tour of Italy one pro, stayed in his own RV during the Tour (A Fleetwood Class A) not a normal practice at the Grand Tour's, and Sky had plans to have a dedicated one for Froome at the Tour, and the race organization banned it!

No RV's for TDF Racers

I didn't know that. Man what a bummer. Well, no coach then I am stopping my training for the TDF. Absurd. I guess I could take my ACE. It might pass for one the Euro models. I get the point that France's streets were not designed to house a hundred busses, or is this more about UCI control?

UCI - Control
Claims it gives a riders an advantage and they are trying to keep it fair for all participants, and I'm guessing if they started to allow it for individual riders, with the Tour De France there are 180+ riders, could become a issue with parking and moving indvidual RV's for riders.

There is an article about Sky using this one during the GIRO (preparing for TDF):
RV GIRO

Markiemark
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Markiemark32 wrote:

No RV's for TDF Racers

2013 ACE 29.2

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer

No RV's for TDF Racers

OK to ban per Mark F.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I watch. I am an avid cyclist. So far it's turning out to be interesting with a lot of crashes and DNS dropouts. And I am especially enjoying Contador losing more time day after day. Was hoping to see a better showing of Quintana but Froome is one of my favs.

Anyway, yes I try and catch all the RV's too. Haven't seem many Euro models that look interesting. I must not be paying much attention because I haven't seen any US based models. I assume they get them there the same way the team coaches get there. Ship.

I would like to see more of the team coaches. I assume they are Prevost conversions.
2013 ACE 29.2