cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing 4 down

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Toyota Tacoma 2wd, manual trans. Anyone out there tow this 4 down and if so any precautions? Obviously successfully?
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes
27 REPLIES 27

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:

That is as modified not as built.
Bill

yep, any vehicle can be towed 4 down, with enough modification. that is what amuses me when folks here say that they saw brand x being towed. is it a stick shift or auto? does it have a certain transmission etc.? has it been modified? IMHO anybody who buys a vehicle to tow 4 down that needs such modification is not a brain scientist nor a nuclear surgeon. if you already own it and modify it is one thing, to intentionally buy something is foolhardy.
bumpy

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The Matrix is the twin of the Vibe. The Yaris is even smaller.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
To clarify I looked at the FMCA towing guide and NO auto transmission Toyotas can be towed 4 down. I did see a new Camry 5 speed this spring. The owner said he had to special order it. Great to tow but kills your resale.
Bill

"... kills your resale."
I have always wondered about that statement. Do people actually buy vehicles to sell? Or, do most of folks do as I do, and buy them to USE?
But then, I almost never buy new ones, so by the time I want to get rid of them they aren't worth much anyway, so resale or trade-in value is a non-issue.
I would think that if a manual tranny is so very rare, that would enhance the resale value.

Some people actually do trade their cars before they are worn out money pits. Some people actually do pay attention to trade in values before buying. Some people actually achieve a lower cost of ownership by trading in before the car is actually not worth anything.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
To clarify I looked at the FMCA towing guide and NO auto transmission Toyotas can be towed 4 down. I did see a new Camry 5 speed this spring. The owner said he had to special order it. Great to tow but kills your resale.
Bill

Some automatic Toyotas can be towed 4-down with the addition of a Remco transmission pump. We've towed two different Remco equipped 4WD automatic RAV4's for over 40,000 miles.

That is as modified not as built.
Bill
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
jswat wrote:
The Yaris is the same as my Pontiac Vibe and I've towed my for over 40,000 miles with no problem. It is a manual transmission. I just turn my key to acc and make sure every electrical accessary is turned off. It is easy to tow.
X-2, for those of you that are not aware the Vibe is mostly built by Toyota.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:

"... kills your resale."
I have always wondered about that statement. Do people actually buy vehicles to sell? Or, do most of folks do as I do, and buy them to USE? .

my BIL and I both bought motor homes in 1999 or so. he bought a non-slide model, and got mad at one salesman for warning him about resale on a non-slide unit. he died, widow went to sell it about 3 years ago. everybody was looking for a RV with a slide.
but as far as automobiles go, I drive them till they are a $500 donation to the boy scouts so don't worry about resale value on them myself.
bumpy

jswat
Explorer
Explorer
The Yaris is the same as my Pontiac Vibe and I've towed my for over 40,000 miles with no problem. It is a manual transmission. I just turn my key to acc and make sure every electrical accessary is turned off. It is easy to tow.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
Bill

"... kills your resale."
I have always wondered about that statement. Do people actually buy vehicles to sell? Or, do most of folks do as I do, and buy them to USE?
But then, I almost never buy new ones, so by the time I want to get rid of them they aren't worth much anyway, so resale or trade-in value is a non-issue.
I would think that if a manual tranny is so very rare, that would enhance the resale value.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
Bill

Some automatic Toyotas can be towed 4-down with the addition of a Remco transmission pump. We've towed two different Remco equipped 4WD automatic RAV4's for over 40,000 miles.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
-Mark Twain

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Ok, ok, maybe a manual trans Yaris (that's just a toy, isn't it? :>).... I can't even find it on the Remco site and I can't find my motor home dinghy towing guide.

Anyway, in 2010 we were looking for a new toad, preferably a Toyota (had three of them at the time) and one that held more than two people. Our first choice was a Rav4 but found out it was not 4-down towable. So we set our sights on the Highlander...nope, not that either. Then the 4-Runner...nope, once again not that too.

Got to checking all available sources, and at that time, we couldn't find anything Toyota made that was towable. Didn't check the Yaris....way too small for us.

Checked on this and other forums and the consensus was that Toyota was not interested in the "toad" world.

We narrowed down all other choices to the CRV and the Terrain (lots of others in this category) and decided upon the Terrain. So far, after 55K miles, it was a good choice.

Hope this helps

Ron
I really liked my Yaris Ron, but my wife didn't like driving a stick shift! So I sold it! I like you wanted to buy and tow a Toyota to tow all 4 down (my brother in law sales Toyotas), but as you discovered they don't make a towable all four down with a automatic transmission. So we just bought a new 2014 Honda CRV 4WD thru Costco. We were told by Honda that 2014 is the last year that the CRV can be towed all four down due to Honda is switching to the CRT transmission on the 2015 (CRT Transmission are currently used in Subaru's).

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fltoftheconcord wrote:
lanerd wrote:
No Toyota can be towed 4-down without modifications. Been there, done that.

There is a person here on rv.net who does tow his Tacoma 4-down but has a driveshaft disconnect that has been pretty much error free. However, have read several post of people who also have drive shaft disconnects but have had a LOT of problems. So be aware.

Good luck

Ron

Perhaps this comment is in reference to Toyota pickups, but it's not accurate as a brand overall. Toyota Corolla's have been towable 4-down for years, including the 2014. Ditto with the Yaris. We have towed a Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe (exact same car) over 20k miles with no issues at all. Put it in manual and go.

are you talking auto or stick. 2wd, 4wd, awd?
bumpy

fltoftheconcord
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
No Toyota can be towed 4-down without modifications. Been there, done that.

There is a person here on rv.net who does tow his Tacoma 4-down but has a driveshaft disconnect that has been pretty much error free. However, have read several post of people who also have drive shaft disconnects but have had a LOT of problems. So be aware.

Good luck

Ron

Perhaps this comment is in reference to Toyota pickups, but it's not accurate as a brand overall. Toyota Corolla's have been towable 4-down for years, including the 2014. Ditto with the Yaris. We have towed a Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe (exact same car) over 20k miles with no issues at all. Put it in manual and go.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
Lots of differences between a 28 year old Toyota truck and a new one.

You misunderstood me... I wasn't advocating towing my 86 PU, just mentioned that we had towed it at one time.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....