cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS and Rubber Valve Stems

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchase a different car with rubber valve stem. Does anyone use their TMPS with rubber valve stem and have you had any problems?
Thanks for all comments
15 REPLIES 15

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
eheading wrote:
The manual for my Tire Minder says that because the transmitters are so light, they will work fine on rubber valve stems.

Ed Headington

and they can say that because they know how long someones valve stems are ??
horse hockey !
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had about 75k miles with the original rubber stems with our TST units on our toad . I just had new tires put on and had them put on metal stems... just figured it would be more stable and not a big deal since they were working on the tires .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
The manual for my Tire Minder says that because the transmitters are so light, they will work fine on rubber valve stems.

Ed Headington

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm at about 15K miles on the toad with rubber stems and TST 510 sensors with no problems. The rotation of the tires and the weight of the sensors will cause the stems to deflect out some. Given enough time and the stem could fail. Next time the tires get replaced I do plan on having metal stems installed.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I'm not sure about stacking another TPMS on top of the valve stem that already has a built in TPMS. Not sure how or if that works. As mentioned, some of the new factory TPMS systems are on rubber valve stems.

it works completely fine !

the OEM (in tire) sensors report to the vehicle system & the threaded on sensors (TST 507) report to the coach monitor - neither system interferes w/ the other.

I have BOTH on my Toad & everything works just fine.
Don R.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
DUPLICATE
Don R.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I use the TST 507 system w/ the thread on (user replaceable battery) stems.
I run the sensors on our coach, which has metal valve stems...no problems.

I run sensors on our TOAD (pictured) which has rubber valve stems - and I've never had a problem there either - i show NO signs of rubbing or flexing (which the travel trailer / trailer guys have apparently seen).

from what i can tell - those that are seeing valve stems failures may be seeing failures because of the longer more flexible stems - some have reportedly installed some rubber gas line tubing over the OEM valve stems to provide some added strenth preventing flexing of the stem.

Ive got at over 30k w/ the sensors on the toad (rubber) valve stems & no problems, no failures no leaks.

I replace the batteries when theyre dead (about every 18 months) - and obtain the batteries for about 32 cents each (3.22 for 10 batteries, including shipping)
Don R.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've used the 507 system for over 80,000 miles with no issues. Installed over federally mandated internal sensors with rubber stems....YMMV....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
An external TPMS such as the 507 TST will cause a rubber valve stem failure in time.

On my truck this happened after about 10,000 miles after new tires and Chinese rubber covered high pressure metal core valve stems. I had two valve stems fail in about 50 miles. I was lucky in the first happened close to home and I was able to get home on the spare. The next morning I found another flat tire due to a valve stem failure.

If you like to play Russian roulette you may be lucky with no failure but could also have a double failure a long way from a tire shop.

talotto
Explorer
Explorer
I had the opposite experience from previous responses - I installed a TPMS on trailer tires, on the return side of a 1200 mile trip I dad a flat causes by a crack in the rubber valve stem. Replacing with metal solved the issue.
KG5PDS
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2004 HD Heritage Softail
2016 Jeep Wrangler
College Station, TX

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
I used the TST on my TT with rubber valve stems for a few thousand miles without problems. But it bothered me that the TPMS head was rubbing on the wheel while under way, so I had metal stems installed.

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I used TST TPS on my Jeep Wangler. It has factory TPS. The two system works good. The Jeep has rubber valve stems.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure about stacking another TPMS on top of the valve stem that already has a built in TPMS. Not sure how or if that works. As mentioned, some of the new factory TPMS systems are on rubber valve stems.

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Many car manufac have switched to the rubber stem with the TPMS, many issues with the plastic cap model.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually