cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transmission oil change due to time?

map40
Explorer
Explorer
I'm buying an Alfa with a C7 and an Allison 3000. The tranny had an oil change 4 years and 25k miles ago. Do you change the trans fluid due to time?
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls
55 REPLIES 55

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a fluid testing service to start a trend on the fluids.

You have a unique opportunity to get the fluid analyzed to see the wear on the transmission before before you change the fluid.

I use Blackstone Labs for my coolant, engine oil, and transmission fluid analysis.

FWIW most of us change the fluids long before they wear out. If out of warranty, perhaps the lawyers' version of frequency can be ignored?
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Allison transmissions are the best of the best. They will give 100โ€™s of thousands miles of dependible service if you follow their published guidelines. Conidering the cost of repairs, it is worth spending the money on the required service and fluids. See the following.....

http://www.visualsc.com/allison_fluid_filter.pdf
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

map40
Explorer
Explorer
JR45 wrote:
map40 wrote:
I'm buying an Alfa with a C7 and an Allison 3000. The tranny had an oil change 4 years and 25k miles ago. Do you change the trans fluid due to time?

Here is the right way to change the trans oil, and use TranSynd TES 295 Fluid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5PbOg9x4qo
JR45

AWESOME video. THANKS JR45!
Alfa SeeYa

map40
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
FWIW, I would change the transmission fluid. Then you know when it was changed, the type of fluid used and have a baseline for future maintenance.

I have a great maintenance log, the RV belonged to an aircraft mechanic. It calls for fluid change every 150K miles or 4 years, but I have never heard of changing it due to age. He changed it at 53K 3 1/2 years ago, now it has 80K miles. If I follow the time, I would have to change it in April, but with less than 30K miles when it could go to $150K
Alfa SeeYa

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Branson N Tucson wrote:
I'm confused, nothing new. But putting oil in your transmission? Thought you put transmission fluid in it.

Thanks for the great clarification. I was meaning trans fluid, which is, hydraulic fluid, or also falls in the category of oils and lubricants.
Alfa SeeYa

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Unless the fluid looks burnt I would continue to run it to at least 30,000 miles.
Longer if called out in the manual.

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
map40 wrote:

Here is the right way to change the trans oil, and use TranSynd TES 295 Fluid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5PbOg9x4qo
JR45
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the smart things you can do when you buy a car, boat or RV is change all the fluids.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I would change the transmission fluid. Then you know when it was changed, the type of fluid used and have a baseline for future maintenance.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Life of tranny fluid
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm confused, nothing new. But putting oil in your transmission? Thought you put transmission fluid in it.