cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel with Kill Switch Off

vjswhippet
Explorer
Explorer
do any of you flip the kill switch for when you're driving down the road ? We got our step working again and I'm a little gun shy about it coming out while driving ... thought about using the kill switch ?
Vickie Smith
Kansas City area
2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS
16 REPLIES 16

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
vjswhippet wrote:
I found what I think is a loose ground wire. When I wiggle the step goes in and out even with door closed

good job , tnx for the update. ๐Ÿ™‚

vjswhippet
Explorer
Explorer
I found what I think is a loose ground wire. When I wiggle the step goes in and out even with door closed
Vickie Smith
Kansas City area

vjswhippet
Explorer
Explorer
Ava wrote:
I put a bright led on my dash next to the step switch that flashes in my face if my steps are down when starting to move. I used a set of magnet switches on the steps.

Mine came out when I was driving down the road. That's the reason I'm wanting to use a kill switch on them ...
Vickie Smith
Kansas City area

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I put a bright led on my dash next to the step switch that flashes in my face if my steps are down when starting to move. I used a set of magnet switches on the steps.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's a Lippert power step: info is avl at etrailer.com
"Lippert power step wiring" . I copied the following from that page, I hope this helps.

The green wire gets grounded to the chassis.
The white wire gets connected to the power switch which then goes to the positive battery post.
The yellow wire gets run to the a keyed power source, power only with ignition on.
The red wire connects to the positive battery post for the motor.
The brown wire gets connected to door switch.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago there was a report of where a gas station employee was changing a filter on a pump, and an RV pulled in. There was an explosion, the employee was killed, and the RV was destroyed.

We've had a couple of mh where the access to the back of refrigerator was not far from the gasoline fill. So I added a switch within reach of the drivers seat, to 12 volt line at the refrigerator.

We turn of the refrigerator when pulling into a gas station.
The only problem we've had is to remember to turn it back on after leaving the station.

Dusty

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
On our rig, the electric step is powered by the chassis battery so it goes in automatically even with the all the house shut off.

Like others say, killing the power to the house shuts off the fridge, and maybe the house batteries won't get charged.

X2
Proud father of a US Marine

vjswhippet
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
Battery disconnect is for storage only. If your worried about the steps put an inline switch at the motor. Or some convent place before the motor.

Would that be the red wire?
Vickie Smith
Kansas City area

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Battery disconnect is for storage only. If your worried about the steps put an inline switch at the motor. Or some convent place before the motor.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
We got our step working again and I'm a little gun shy about it coming out while driving ... thought about using the kill switch ?

Wires control the step correct ?
If you had a prior step problem and don't feel comfortable why not install an additional kill switch to the step while leaving the coach switch 'ON' ?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ron.dittmer wrote:
vjswhippet wrote:
ok thank you ..... I didn't think there was power to the fridge when you were driving ... only when on shore power ? or propane ? I pulled a trailer for 15 years .. this is my first year of a Class C so I'm still learning about it
Yeh, that took me by surprise my first time owning a motor home with a 120v & propane fridge. It requires 12V electricity to control the propane. So when you kill the 12V, you kill the fridge.

Same for travel trailers, 5th wheels.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
vjswhippet wrote:
ok thank you ..... I didn't think there was power to the fridge when you were driving ... only when on shore power ? or propane ? I pulled a trailer for 15 years .. this is my first year of a Class C so I'm still learning about it
Yeh, that took me by surprise my first time owning a motor home with a 120v & propane fridge. It requires 12V electricity to control the propane. So when you kill the 12V, you kill the fridge.

vjswhippet
Explorer
Explorer
Vickie Smith
Kansas City area

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our rig, the electric step is powered by the chassis battery so it goes in automatically even with the all the house shut off.

Like others say, killing the power to the house shuts off the fridge, and maybe the house batteries won't get charged.