cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turned Away

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
I just left my local Ford dealer after they refused to service my F-53 ford mo ho on the grounds that it was too big. Now ths is not a old time Mom and Pop dealer, this is a dealer with multipal brands. My question is what if would no longer move? What if it was a major warrenty issue and not just an oil change? Is there no recorse? Whar would you do?
32 REPLIES 32

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
MotorPro wrote:
peaches&cream wrote:
If they refused to service my MH I would be sure to let them know I would never bring it back to them for service. And I would let everyone with a MH know they refused to service my MH :S
They don't work on motorhomes.....they don't want you or your friends with motorhomes back.

Is that what "no" means? :h

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
In your Ford F53 op manual and warrantee book you should have a number to call at ford spec for MOHO factory work. They will locate a Ford location in your area that will agree to do the work. Or course in west Texas it may be several hundred miles away. Something simple like an oil change you are probably on your own, but as others have suggested above make sure it is a copetant supplier with low personnel turnover.

pops

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the larger truck dealerships took a huge hit in 1998 when Ford got out of the over the road truck business. The bulk of their service work was tailored to large profile over the road tractors. When that business disappeared many struggled for years.

The biggest truck Ford currently sells is the F750. It has a much smaller profile than most motorhomes. Rather than waste all the space formerly committed to the large trucks many dealers reconfigured their operations. They tend to focus on the vehicles they sell and tailor their service departments to accommodate them.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

MotorPro
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:
If they refused to service my MH I would be sure to let them know I would never bring it back to them for service. And I would let everyone with a MH know they refused to service my MH :S
They don't work on motorhomes.....they don't want you or your friends with motorhomes back.

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
peaches&cream wrote:

The average dealers don't work on RV's. The beauty of the free market is they have the right to not work on RV's. If I were to have my RV worked on by a dealer I would only want to take it to a dealer that is set up to work on Rv's and has staff that experience working on these large specialized vehicles.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer

Bill_N1
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:

Speaking from experience, if you go to Walmart for an oil change, don't go too far away and keep an eye on the guy doing it. Those guys doing the oil changes often get about 3 or 4 minutes of training and are set loose. Make sure they do things like put the plug back in the oil pan before putting the new oil back in the engine, make sure they don't cross thread the oil filter or torque it down to a hundred pounds of pressure, and make sure they don't climb into the drivers seat with their oil coverage pants and hands and shoes!

What you say is TRUE but it can be true of any place you take your motorhome - not just Walmart. They may have 3 or 4 minutes of training but I know for a fact that the guy at my local Walmart has been doing that job for 4 years. I will never understand why when the word Walmart is mentioned, people think it is open season for criticism. This is one area (oil change) where any auto shop can mess up big time (and have). I doubt that Walmart has a corner on the market in cross threading oil pan plugs or making oil tracks in a motorhome. They never entered my coach (I drove it in and out) for the oil change but I had already placed large black plastic over the driver seat and the pathway from the door to the driver area. You say you speak from experience and I do also but obviously had a much different experience than you and don't tar and feather a whole organization based on one experience.
Bill in Missouri
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse Chassis, 8.1 V8 Vortec, Allison Tranny
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
USAF (Ret)

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill N wrote:
Hey, if you just want an oil change and at a decent price, check your local Walmart. All of those in my area have one large bay with a pit under it and happily accept motorhomes. Normal charge plus maybe a few bucks extra for more oil if necessary. The guy I went to the other day say they change 3 to 4 motorhomes a week. I paid $34. CW wants $65 (Good Sam rate). Also to change generator oil/filters, CW wants $75 (Good Sam rate). Buy your own filters and oil (cost me $33) and do it yourself - it's a snap and very easy to access while just sitting on a stool. JMHO

Speaking from experience, if you go to Walmart for an oil change, don't go too far away and keep an eye on the guy doing it. Those guys doing the oil changes often get about 3 or 4 minutes of training and are set loose. Make sure they do things like put the plug back in the oil pan before putting the new oil back in the engine, make sure they don't cross thread the oil filter or torque it down to a hundred pounds of pressure, and make sure they don't climb into the drivers seat with their oil coverage pants and hands and shoes!

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
If you were broke down and unable to move they would have called you a tow truck.

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
Our local Ford truck dealer in Fargo, ND won't service motor homes. Mechanics aren't used to working in peoples houses. They don't think it is worth the extra trouble and complaints from picky people.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

Bill_N1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, if you just want an oil change and at a decent price, check your local Walmart. All of those in my area have one large bay with a pit under it and happily accept motorhomes. Normal charge plus maybe a few bucks extra for more oil if necessary. The guy I went to the other day say they change 3 to 4 motorhomes a week. I paid $34. CW wants $65 (Good Sam rate). Also to change generator oil/filters, CW wants $75 (Good Sam rate). Buy your own filters and oil (cost me $33) and do it yourself - it's a snap and very easy to access while just sitting on a stool. JMHO
Bill in Missouri
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse Chassis, 8.1 V8 Vortec, Allison Tranny
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
USAF (Ret)

capndan77
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that affects many Ford dealerships was a design change in the facade of the buildings mandated by Ford. The idea was to make the dealerships uniform in appearance. The change involved a cornice coming down from the roof line with Ford logo in the center. To accomplish this, many dealership with large overhead doors that accommodated motor homes and large trucks had to cover 4-6' of the door with the new facade. The dealership I had used to service my coach could no longer get my coach in due to the lowered facade. It was bizarre to stand inside and look at the back of the cornice through the top two rows of windows in an 18' roll up door! They still accommodate me by doing oil changes and service work outside. We just play it by ear as far as weather is concerned. I call that service!

Roadglider09
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
With Ford all you have to do is ask the Service Department General Manager to locate/refer you to their Ford Truck Center.

They send 'all' their customers with big trucks or trucks that need a bigger lift for service to their closest designated Ford Truck Service Center. Been traveling for 6 years now and have never run across a town that didn't have one and I was referred to them by the local Ford Dealer. So they expected my arrival.

X1. Down here, there is the local Ford dealer who services my cars, and the local Ford Truck Center that services the coach.
Michael & Donna
Little Ones Becky & Karen
Deland, FL
2012 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Couple of Harleys (when not pulling the Jeep!)

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
blknomad wrote:
I just left my local Ford dealer after they refused to service my F-53 ford mo ho on the grounds that it was too big. Now ths is not a old time Mom and Pop dealer, this is a dealer with multipal brands. My question is what if would no longer move? What if it was a major warrenty issue and not just an oil change? Is there no recorse? Whar would you do?

You might give Ford Customer Service a call at 800 444-3311 and perhaps they can direct you to a dealer that can service your coach.

Best of luck & safe travels...
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad