cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

using shark bites on pluming

ocean_bound
Explorer II
Explorer II
has any one used shark bites ( push on fittings)on pipes in a rv and how are they holding up.
Allen&carrie 2006 georgetown XL359 37ft
23 REPLIES 23

iamcanuck45
Explorer
Explorer
Some plumbers will use them where they will not be sealed inside of a wall. I prefer the shark bites because of the material used. Lowes calls them Gator bites.
'92 Newmar Kountry Aire, 37'.
Andrรฉ and Elizabeth.
First mate: MacDuff (Welsh terrier)
Asst' first mate: Allie (wire-haired fox terrier) rescued

robertbenita
Explorer
Explorer
Use them and they work wonderfully!

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
I use shark bites on a rest room that has to be drained over the winter. Prior to using these the lines could not be disconnected as needed and some water always remained and then freezing and of course rupturing the lines. The shark bites allow quick disassembly and drainage and then quick reassembly in the spring. Broken and split copper and pex lines all vanished. The release tools are about a dollar or less. Keep a couple on top of the water heater.
jwmII

soren
Explorer
Explorer
randallb wrote:
Shark-bites, et al are not normally used by plumbers/contractors because of price. You buy the crimping tool and dies once and then crimp all of your joints for substantially less. For example; $5.85 for a brass SB 1/2"- 90 or $.75 for a PEX brass 1/2"-90 and $.14 for the clamp. $5.85 or $.89? I know what my choice is since I already own the (approx $100.00) crimping tool and dies.
Randy

Having plumbed a number of new homes with PEX, I have the crimper for the stainless steel crimp clamps. The tool was $38, does every size of clamp from 1/4" to 1" and is available at Lowes. The crimps are about $0.30 each and it's been foolproof and trouble free for thousands of connections. I can understand using Shark-bites for a repair, but once you are using more than a small handful, I would definitely look into doing it with the band clamps.

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Shark-bites, et al are not normally used by plumbers/contractors because of price. You buy the crimping tool and dies once and then crimp all of your joints for substantially less. For example; $5.85 for a brass SB 1/2"- 90 or $.75 for a PEX brass 1/2"-90 and $.14 for the clamp. $5.85 or $.89? I know what my choice is since I already own the (approx $100.00) crimping tool and dies.
Randy

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen plumbers use quick connectors several times in situations where soldering copper mods or repairs would be dangerous and with PEX mods or repairs were it wasn't practical to reach with crimpers.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
I have yet to meet a plumber that uses any sort of quick connections, but I have used these and some by Watts for nearly a decade. Never had a single drip or complication.

VCBandit
Explorer
Explorer
I have used them many times in my Class A with no problems. Used them to redo the shower, replace bathroom faucet, re plumbed the water heater, and replaced the toilet. Easy to use and no issues after over 5 years. I too carry spares for emergencies. Easy to remove with the "removal" tool.
Terry and Kim Streit
2002 Itasca Horizon (El Gordo)
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Paco)
Life is Good

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
zman-az wrote:
Why not use the less expensive plastic ones. Check out the video at around 1 minute.

Yep, Watts and the identical Sea Tech fittings are about half the price of Sharkbite fittings.
Dutch

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
Those are pretty much the same as what I used.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
Why not use the less expensive plastic ones. Check out the video at around 1 minute.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I find it interesting the OP is "Ocean Bound" asking about "shark bites".....:B...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Great stuff for home or RV. I bought the plastic version at CW but the more expensive brass stuff will work too.

Easy

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
SharkBite, Watts, Sea Tech, and Tectite are all similar "no tools" push-on connectors for CTS piping. All work well, especially in tight spots where more conventional fittings are difficult to use. They're costly, but for occasional small modifications or repairs, they're very handy. I always keep a few fittings in my RV spares.
Dutch