cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

V10 not perfoming like it should

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I looking for shop to take my 2007 Ford V-10 to in the Las Vegas, NV area to get it diagnost to find why it's not running right. I use to own a 2000 Ford V-10, and this 2007 370+ HP engine is just doesn't have it. The tranny downshifts on the little's hill.

We where on a trip up to Oregon last month and for a few days I was running up medium hills like I was on flat land, and had to back off to keep from running into the person I was following. On the return trip it's right back to the way it's running now. Any help?
13 REPLIES 13

Antony
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, the threshold for the MIL to come on because of a misfire is insanely high on Ford mod motors. The technician needs to know how to navigate the Mode 6 data to find the misfire rates for each cylinder. The last time I changed a COP on our van, all cylinders' misfire count was 0 except for cyl #7 which had a count of over 8000.....still no MIL....just a jittering pile of torqueless **** when loaded.
Anthony

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if the MH exhaust is the same as the trucks but I have a 2009 V-10 and my performance had progressively gotten worse over the last 2 years. Lack of power, high RPM's to run grades that before I could drive without the high RPM's and lots of shifting. Turned out the catalytic converters were bad. Just got the truck back last week and it is like a brand new vehicle. Replaced under warranty as the Cats had an 11 year 120k mile warranty. Might want to check this.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Captain_Happy wrote:
If this had been all the easy stuff to fix, it would have been fixed by now. Thanks anyway guys.

It's going in the shop on Wednesday.

Interesting response. Don't like the answers? Don't ask the question.:R
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
If this had been all the easy stuff to fix, it would have been fixed by now. Thanks anyway guys.

It's going in the shop on Wednesday.

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
bettye wrote:
We have an '01 Ford V10 and recently experienced the same issue. Turns out it was the mass air flow sensor.

In my 08 it was a bad front O2 Sensor and cleaning the mass sensor while they were there. My mileage had cut in half and this restored it to normal.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

bettye
Explorer
Explorer
We have an '01 Ford V10 and recently experienced the same issue. Turns out it was the mass air flow sensor.
Betty & Jim
2004 Allegro Bay 34XB

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you try any on the suggestions made in the thread you started about this 2 weeks ago?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
Can you be more specific? Not "running right" is a little too vague for any meaningful online diagnosis. Is your "service engine soon/check engine" light on? Throwing parts at a problem you don't understand is about as effective as having a "mechanic" at Jiffy Lube open the cowling.

Chum lee

I need a like button.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Can you be more specific? Not "running right" is a little too vague for any meaningful online diagnosis. Is your "service engine soon/check engine" light on? Throwing parts at a problem you don't understand is about as effective as having a "mechanic" at Jiffy Lube open the cowling.

Chum lee

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Ethanol Free Gas Try a tankfull or two from these locations and see if it improves. It is the only way I can keep my check engine light from coming on. Good Luck.

BTW, there are IPhone and Android apps also.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
What they all said.... Check the basics first... Air and fuel filters, mouse nest in the intake... Brakes aren't dragging (feel for a hot wheel).... If you can't find anything obvious, it'll probably need to be hooked up to a diagnostics terminal.

Also make sure the proper oil (5w20 or 5W30) was used at the last oil change. Heavier oils can affect cam phaser performance which changes valve timing.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then check the COPs, (Coil on Plug) Air filter

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
replace fuel filter first
2009 Challenger