cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vehicle Speed Sensor

denislmorin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1994 E-350 Econoline Motorhome. When I drive on the Highway the speedometer goes haywire, my ABS light is always on and sometimes my cruise gets disengaged. After reading up on the problem the likely culprit is the Vehicle Speed Sensor. Any idea where this is situated and whether it can be changed by myself? Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Just want to say thank you very much j-d, if you're still out there.  I have a 1993 E350 Damon Escaper with the auto trans and 460 ci engine. I had numerous symptoms, bouncing speedo, irregular shifting, Rear ABS light on, even popping into neutral sometimes. Pulled and replaced the speed sensor on the transaxle per your excellent instructions, and all is well.  Thanks again. Bob

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
If you have ABS, each wheel has it's own sensor but I don't think any of them drives the speedo.

I would be very concerned that your brakes may not work right in a hard stop.
The brakes will work just fine, just no anti-lock capability.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has 3; one on each front wheel and one on back axle.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

denislmorin
Explorer
Explorer
I just got it safetied and I was told by the mechanic not to worry about the ABS light being on. I found where the VSS is located. It is on top of the rear differential. Now to see about ordering the part.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
If you have ABS, each wheel has it's own sensor but I don't think any of them drives the speedo.

I would be very concerned that your brakes may not work right in a hard stop.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
On my 99 F250 it was on the rear axle. Don't know if you could change it.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel