cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Visiting Yellowstone in May??

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Typically what can I expect weather wise to stay in West Yellowstone and visiting Yellowstone Park during the 2nd thru 3rd week in May? Have never been there, so looking for suggestions. Thanks
Brian
21 REPLIES 21

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went three years ago around then and it was great. Still snow on the ground at higher elevations, but the roads were clear and the crowds weren't too bad.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
Typically what can I expect weather wise to stay in West Yellowstone and visiting Yellowstone Park during the 2nd thru 3rd week in May? Have never been there, so looking for suggestions. Thanks
Brian

First time I went was in May and we got a little snow. Nothing too bad and it didn't mess up the roads at all. One thing I will tell you is May seems to be a great time to go as we saw all kinds of wildlife while driving through the park. We went the second time in August and saw almost none of the animals. I think later in the summer a combination of warm weather and all the tourists drive the animals into the back country away from the crowds.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
We will also go to Y stone most likely June. What is the easiest way to drive a 35 ft MH to the park? My wife is terrified of mountain passes and narrow mountain roads. Is there a way to avoid those routes? We will be coming from the East or Boulder depending when we decide to visit our friends in Boulder.

If you go in from West yellowstone, hang back from the main gate so you can pull out into the exit lane to go into the park. The lanes into the park are very narrow, and then have many scars from RVs. I had to backup about 4 inches to keep from contacting the booth on the right side of our MH. If I had to do it again, I would just stay back, walk up to the booth and get the OK to enter, then pull out into the out going lane (wrong way) to enter the park. I am sure the booth workers will thank you, as both seemed to fear for their safety when we went through.
Wildmanbaker

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
May is a great time to go. So is March and April. Snow? Likely! Ever seen a postcard of Yellowstone? You will be in it! I visited during the Summer and HATED IT! Late Spring and early Fall are, by far, the best times of year to visit Yellowstone.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest roads are from the south via I-80 to 287 or 191 into Grand Teton Nat'l Park and continue north into Yellowstone.

Also coming in from Idaho and West Yellowstone is easy. Same goes from the north via 89.

Coming in from the east is the most difficult via Cody, WY or via Cooke City.

You ARE planning to tour Grand Teton Nat'l Park, aren't you? I'd definitely advise it. They are both completely different in looks and things to do.

Read each national park's website thoroughly for lots of good information on the roads, camping, things to do, road maintenance/closures, etc. There are always updates so check again just before your trip.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
We will also go to Y stone most likely June. What is the easiest way to drive a 35 ft MH to the park? My wife is terrified of mountain passes and narrow mountain roads. Is there a way to avoid those routes? We will be coming from the East or Boulder depending when we decide to visit our friends in Boulder.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check the Yellowstone NP web site for opening dates. It looks like the 27th of May all the Major roads will be open. That doesn't mean that their wouldn't be temporary closures.
Wildmanbaker

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If the campground is open then they will have it ready to camp. Don't worry about it! Have fun!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I know someone who was supposed to report to work on the last week of April, and arrived to find the campground for employees had been 'cleared' of snow, well the paved sections, but not the snow in between sites. He could look out his bunk window in the fifth wheel and see snow at eye level. So I am guessing well over 4 feet deep. He said it was a few more weeks before it melted away, and started to warm up.

Best to call a resort, and ask the question in a few weeks. West Yellowstone has a few full hookup resorts (in Idaho) that are just outside the park boundary. They are in a city large enough to be open all year long.

The snow level can vary a lot each year. This year might be light to really deep, you have to call a local to find out, but next month. As it might change in March. It is a fairly high elevation, so there is a lot of snow each winter. The Beartooth summit pass is 10,000+ elevation, so is sure to be snowed in in May. The roads might be clear, but probably 2' of snow on all the interesting fire roads, where the best dry camping areas are located.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
While it will likely snow in May I highly recommend making the trip. It's one of the few times you will see ALL the animals, have free access to all sites (few tourists) and be able to see the parks beauty the way it was meant to be seen.
Fishing Bridge does not open in early May (we had to dry camp until it opened) so call ahead or be prepared to dry camp (also awesome). We also visited during the Summer and hated it! Spring or Fall, but NOT Summer!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
We live 90 miles from the west entrance. We've had a lot of snow this year, more then usual, as I am sure the park has also. But, it has started to melt this month here in Rigby, Idaho so I expect it will be gone up there also. Best thing about that time of year in the park is all the baby buffalo caves. We call them orange drops because of their color. It will not be warm at night. Just remembered there will be a big constructions project on the road very near Fishing Bridge, been on the news here.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
It can snow there then, but nothing to worry about the Park Crew is really good about keeping the roads clear in the High Country. The roads will be plowed before day break! And it can get a little chilly at night! One year the DW and I went there in mid October just spectacular with all the fall colors. It was 70* during the day and very low 30*s at night and it would snow every night. The Buffalo's were dragging there bellies in the snow in the high country but, the roads were bare! We alway's stayed at Mammoth Hot Springs (Nat'l Park Campground) everything we need is there Store, gas, restaurant etc. and we alway's seen more animals in the Northern part of the Park.

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
BigSkyBob wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Be prepared for any kind of weather.

This suggestion applies year round. Been there over 30 times and I've even seen snow flurries in July.

I remember heavy snow on the 4th of July about 50 years ago. Most of the campers ended up abandoning their tents, etc. They plowed the roads, but it took a group effort to get the cars out of the campground.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Every year will be different. You'll probably have warm days and cool nights with a possibility of light snow. It wont' last long though and will be beautiful. You'll also see many newborn critters.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again