cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water filter stuck

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
The blue container that holds the whole house water filter will not release. I have used an oil flter wrench but it will not move. Turning counter clockwise and afraid i will break something. Any advice?
20 REPLIES 20

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Monkeyman_and_Lady wrote:
TechWriter,

Mind Blown on that plumbing setup. Nice work.

Tx. There's been a few places & times when it has earned its value . . . and it almost never leaks. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Monkeyman_and_L
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter,

Mind Blown on that plumbing setup. Nice work.
Monkeyman, Lady and little chimp
2018 Newmar Baystar 3414
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid TOAD

msalyer
Explorer
Explorer
A strap wrench should work well

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
tinkerer wrote:
This won't help you now but when I replace the filter I usually put some vasolene on the threads and gasket, I usually just have to hand tighten them they unscrew much easier.

I'd suggest Lube Tube instead.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
This won't help you now but when I replace the filter I usually put some vasolene on the threads and gasket, I usually just have to hand tighten them they unscrew much easier.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't have the room in that compartment and you still want a water softener, that can be stored separately and put in-line between the campground hose bib and the coach. This is a better setup as the water softener is after the filters but I have not found sediment to be an issue with my water softener. I do back flush it about once a year but otherwise, I don't do anything special. I have had mine for a number of years and someone mentioned a product called ResCare which I bought and used 2 recharges ago. I think it made a noticeable difference in the performance of the softener.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:

Solo wrote:

. . . you must have connected into the outlet of the reel which on most is 1/2"NPT? So,any hints or tips there on how you did that?

Many visits to the hardware store.

You've inspired me to get it done. I just took a look at my plumbing system coming off the hose reel and it doesn't look like too big of a deal after all. 1/2 NPT from the reel into PEX pipe it appears and it's all not too bad to access. Yes indeed, I do see several trips to the plumbing supply may be necessary. THANKS!
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Solo wrote:
I followed your link to take a look at your Blog to see if you expanded a bit on your fresh water system and I need to pick your brain a bit.

My water filtration system

Solo wrote:

. . . you must have connected into the outlet of the reel which on most is 1/2"NPT? So,any hints or tips there on how you did that?

Many visits to the hardware store.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:

Yep. One of these + tap it with a rubber mallet. It works with my Big Blues . . .

Don't want to deviate away from the OP question but I think the original question has been taken care of so, TechWriter, WOW! I followed your link to take a look at your Blog to see if you expanded a bit on your fresh water system and I need to pick your brain a bit. I am in the process of doing something similar with our coach and I want to specifically plan to plumb my softener into our fresh water system so I can still use the retractable hose. My question, I cannot tell for sure but it appears that your retractable fresh water reel is still used to connect to a shore supply. So, you must have connected into the outlet of the reel which on most is 1/2"NPT? I'm not too sure what access I really have to that point without removing the reel on our coach which I may have to do. So,any hints or tips there on how you did that?
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
The right tool/wrench, maybe a little gentle tapping with a rubber mallet, it should free up. When you do get it off and go to putting it back together, you might want to replace the O-ring, and be sure to hand-tighten ONLY. Don't use the wrench for that. If you can't get it tight enough to not leak, it's a sure sign that the O-ring is toast.

Good practice to replace the o-ring anyway.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The right tool/wrench, maybe a little gentle tapping with a rubber mallet, it should free up. When you do get it off and go to putting it back together, you might want to replace the O-ring, and be sure to hand-tighten ONLY. Don't use the wrench for that. If you can't get it tight enough to not leak, it's a sure sign that the O-ring is toast.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Had no idea there was the tool. Will get one. Thanks.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
fischer wrote:
If your at a campground your fellow campers have the correct wrench.
You should try useing a pipe wrench

Hate to disagree but a pipe wrench big enough for the body of a filter would have to be enormous and would wouldn't have jaws deep enough to wrap around a filter housing. If it did, I suspect it would crack it.
Best me thinks to use the appropriate filter wrench shown above. Right tool for the job and all that junk.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
Do you have the right wrench?

Yep. One of these + tap it with a rubber mallet. It works with my Big Blues . . .

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs