Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

water pump replacement

lamoz1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

I have a Shurflo 2088 403 144 water pump
that is now leaking. It's also pretty noisy.

They sell a diaphragm repair kit for about half the price
of a new pump. Not sure if I should just repair it, or to change
the pump all together. The fact that is also loud makes me
want to buy a different brand.

Suggestions are welcomed

Thank you
21 REPLIES 21

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Besides the obvious problem with the leak, your pump might be noisy because of the way it is mounted. In my coach the pump was mounted directly to the side wall in the basement. When I replaced it I got two braided plastic hose extensions at Home Depot and relocated the pump to a rubber mount on the bottom of the basement compartment. This not only made the pump much easier to service but it also made it so that I could hardly hear it when it was running.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I just went thought the same thing. Mine was leaking so I took it apart to find out why. In the process I broke a wire off the pressure switch so I defiantly needed a new switch. Could not find just the switch, would have to buy the upper housing with switch. Since I did not find a good reason for the leak I didn’t trust putting is back together without it still leaking. So I thought I would replace the whole Pumphead Assembly. I called Shurflo for a part number since I could not find my model number anywhere on the internet. Shurflo suggested I replace the whole pump with the new modern model. The 4008-101-E65 has a higher pressure with a slightly lower flow and lower current draw. It also does not cycle so there is no need for an accumulator tank. The reason it does not cycle is because it has an internal bypass valve, so, no matter how low or high you have your faucet on, you get a constant steady flow. It's also supposed to be quieter. And the best part is it was only $10 more than the part for the old pump. $60 on Amazon, free shipping. Ordered it yesterday and it is going to arrive tomorrow.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

htss
Explorer
Explorer
This might be helpful:

http://www.trailerlife.com/tech/constant-flow/
2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
if it noisy, I would separate the motor from the pump and see if its the motor is the noise problem, if so best to replace the complete unit. I had a surflo in ours, but the pump failed, and no longer supported parts, so went with the seaflo as a replacement which has worked well so far,, the motor of ours ended up in the wifes parents motorhome one weekend when the bearings went out on there motor

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
These pumps are almost bullet proof and don't know how many I've disassembled, cleaned, oiled, greased and reassembled with tightening all the screws evenly.
Always has been good to go again, but there's always a first time for it being completely shot or needing fixing, I guess.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The diaphragm repair kit won’t do much good if the motor goes bad. Myself I would replace it with the same thing that came with the coach.
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net

Bruce_Brown
I just bought a Seaflo for our camp off of eBay for $65.00/delivered. It seems to work well and it sure is priced right.

Seaflo Pump
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910