cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We're looking at this one..

regis101
Explorer
Explorer
It is a craigslist ad so the link will disappear soon.
I like the rear kitchen/bath. Has a sofa and dinette.
And a slide.

Are slides so bad? If it did break or leak or something and wasn't worth fixing, could it be modified to remain closed?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/4412349971.html
Peace. ~RL
19 REPLIES 19

regis101
Explorer
Explorer
Craigslist post was deleted. Most likely sold. There will be others.

Thanks for the escapee link. Good stuff on there.
Peace. ~RL

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
regis101 wrote:
Lots of good advice on this. Thanks...I scour Craigslist daily within a hundred mile radius. Deals come up often...

Do yourself a favor and look at the RV's for sale on escapees website.
A long time well respected club for full-time RV'ers.
http://escapees.com/

The largest full time RV club in the USA. You don't have to join the actual club to use/view the RV classified section. Sweet deals on 'very' nice selection of RV's. You have to move fast though they fly off sold almost as soon as they are listed.

Go to website.
Click on Knowledge tab
Click on discussion forum
Join forum
Scroll down to RV marketplace

It is the only place I will buy or sell RV items.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
A little high priced but I imagine there is some wiggle room. Gulf Stream was a good name and their woodwork was typically top notch.

Something like this would encourage me having all of the running stock gone over with a fine toothed comb. Oil analysis on the engine oil and tranny would be money well spent absent any maintenance records.

Leak checks all around, Water tanks inspected for FGS (fuzzy green stuff) and I'm also looking in every nook and cranny for signs of stowaways - the rig has had to have been sitting in one place for a very long time.

Still a buyable option - after a detailed 2 pairs of eyes inspection.
Its not the Destination or the Journey.
Its the Excursion

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somebody commented liking the long wheelbase and I agree. Very little tail to wag. To swing way out in turns, or to throw the coach off course. You want a C where the "House Part" (not counting front cabover) does NOT look like it's balanced on the Rear Axle. This will cut down on wagging and put the proper weight distribution onto the Front Axle.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

regis101
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice on this. Thanks,

My thought about a slide with sofa is that when folded down, there should be a bit more aisle way wiggle room than no slide. Having the Lav and Galley in the rear should allow someone to be doing something back there and not so much bother the front until the smell of bacon becomes overwhelming. Using the sofa as a bed still allows the dinette to be used. All that packed into something that fits in the driveway.

I would bend a strict eye on any rig that had a slide to check for damage. I have enough building experience that i should be able to pick up on the small things that can grow large.

I scour Craigslist daily within a hundred mile radius. Deals come up often.
Since I'm in Nor Cal, The climate is quite mild. We do not get much water damage but have to watch the UV damage. Tires can get beat up, caulking shrivels and interior fabric can shred, for example.

We are looking. Not quite ready to buy. The money is there. Haste makes waste.

The link will soon disappear so thanks again,

Happy trails,
Peace. ~RL

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Clearly, some folks didn't look at the ad 😉

We own a 2004 Gulf Stream Conquest and have been crazy-happy with it. Had many wonderful sightseeing trips in it. Now, we are trying to spend more time in one place, so have gone to a 5th wheel with a big slide. The slide sure does make a "livability" difference!

*IF* the slide leaks, you should see discoloration in the flooring or bubbling of the wallpaper near it. The floor might feel "spongy". There might be bubbles on the outside fiberglass, which is a sign of delamination. Most slides have multiple seals, though, and are pretty watertight. The only thing that would concern me, is if the MH has the smaller F-350 chassis? The slide adds about #1000; make sure you have at least #1500 cargo carrying capacity. It's amazing how fast the "stuff" you bring with you can add up in weight.

Ask where it was stored - if it lived outside - plan to re-seal all the windows, vents and lights just as a precautionary thing.

Looks like it was somebody's "baby", though - and that's what you want!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer
I like the longer wheelbase and the layout is perfect (for us lol)
2007 Gulf Stream 6211 (21' Shorty) Ford E350 V10
sometimes with #14 Racecar (18' KwikLoad Rollback)
sometimes with two gaited horses (Featherlite 9407)
sometimes just us camping with our dogs

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Never buy an MH with the slides out.
Make the owner or dealer put all the slides in. THEN make your decision.

+3 We looked at one we really liked but when the bedroom slide was in the queen bed was folded up and unusable. If you were travailing you could not even lay down at a rest stop. You would not notice it with the slide out on the lot. What a poor design.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

x2
bumpy

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it does not have leaks it looks like a good deal.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

Many RV's when the slides are all in you can not access the bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, etc.

This means while traveling if you need a sweater out of the close closet you won't be able to get to it. Some you can't get to the sink, and some even the bathroom.

So depending on how you RV if you stop at a rest area you have to put out all the slides just to use the inside of your MH.

Being new this might not seem like a problem but as you become a seasoned RV'er you will find just how often you want to use the inside of your MH while on the road and it is a REAL pain to have to put slides out to do so.

I had an RV dealership tell me they couldn't put the slides in on a MH I was looking to buy because the battery was dead. I MADE them put a new battery in it and pull the slides in......turned out you couldn't use ANY part of the MH with the slides in. :R

Just saying, just a heads up if you buy one with slides! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Think you've found a good one, the price seems fair when you consider prices are higher on the west coast than back east or down south. Definitely take a drive in it and go out on the freeway to see how it handles when trucks pass you. Remember it is a truck chassis, so don't expect handling like an automobile. I wouldn't bother with more pictures, hop in your car and beat a path over there to see it first hand!

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
The RV is identical to mine, only the name is changed. Ours is a 1998 Four Winds 5000 22rk (rear kitchen). Most likely yours is also built by Thor. I purchased ours for $14k nice inside and out. Dinette is small hard to fit into unless you are a bit more fit then we are. Our water heater worked only from propane, would prefer also to work from electric. Came with with new Firestone LT tires and new batteries, and 36,500 miles on it, with a V-10,and no leaks. Came with all the manuals for everything, but actual MH operation.

Sleeping is either on the jackknife couch, dinette, to short to stretch out on, or the overhead. In our case, the overhead was nicely modified and extend to the rear of the front seats, sleeps two adults just fine, or lots of storage. No slide out in this unit.

Now the MH was only eight miles down the road when I bought it off Craigslist. When I drove it, I knew there was a handling problem, steering was way to lite. There were people standing in line when I bought it, felt lucky.

This was last September. Sine then I have invested another $4,000 in preventive maintenance of items at my request, and mechanics found bad tie rod ends and a leaky pinion seal. Steering is fine now. I've upgraded the converter to a three stage, radio to new do everything, backup camera, and new high profile toilet.

So, be prepared to invest more then the purchase price, at least a thousand or more in tax and license. But, I would drive it, and inspect for leaks. The one I bought was garaged and I also garage it, and continue to look for modifications. We get 9 mpg in the mountains, and 11 mpg on the flat. Hope this helps with the reality of older MH's. One nice thing and a reason we bought it: Is we can park just about anywhere. We've had five TT and two MH's. Both MH's have been short to allow better access where ever we go.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
It looks nice from the few pictures they list. I would ask for a bunch more pictures so you can see more detail. However, the price is too high for a 1998. I would try for well under 10K. The new tires are a plus.