cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What 22.5 tires are good and won't break the bank?

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Getting to the point where I need to replace my tires on my Motorhome. Not because of wear because they only have 33k on them but more because they are 8 years old and are starting to show some dry cracks on the sides. Also my steer tires are worn on the outside edges so I'm sure an alignment will be needed also. So right now I have 235/80 22.5 Michelin XRV's but the local tire shop wants over $500 a piece. Ouch.

So what's a good tire out there that will fit that will be a good tire. I know there has to be something out there that's not an RV specific tire that will be just as good. Tell me what your running and what they cost.
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

39 REPLIES 39

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
You don't drive motorhome in city traffic all the time, so why brakes should wear out fast?
I routinely do 100,000 miles on brakes in cars, so am not worry about mh brakes for long time.
Coming to serpentine belt, those can last 200,000 miles in cars as well, but YMMV depends on the brand. In motorhome belts work harder, but they are also bigger.
Beware about different belts qualities.
Had incident on Mercedes, where not likely original belt at 290,000 miles had cracks. I put new belt and that one become bundle of strings 3 days later, so the old belt with cracks went back for some time.

I replaced my belt in my driveway before the original failed and kept it for an emergency. Besides the run of knowing how and having what I need, I know that the original spare fits. The replacement didn't last all that long before starting to shred and it came from and auto discount store. Went to NAPA next time and they had of choice of two, so took the best one and no problems since.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You don't drive motorhome in city traffic all the time, so why brakes should wear out fast?
I routinely do 100,000 miles on brakes in cars, so am not worry about mh brakes for long time.
Coming to serpentine belt, those can last 200,000 miles in cars as well, but YMMV depends on the brand. In motorhome belts work harder, but they are also bigger.
Beware about different belts qualities.
Had incident on Mercedes, where not likely original belt at 290,000 miles had cracks. I put new belt and that one become bundle of strings 3 days later, so the old belt with cracks went back for some time.

MrWizard
you did good
cost less, than down here
those are the same tire, i got (4) of, on the rear $1785.xx

i think mine were $330 each, plus balance etc..
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
So I went to my local big truck tire dealer here in St. George, UT GCR Tires and had 6 new Toyo M154 in a 245/75 R22.5 mounted balanced and installed for $2230.60 and that even included an Alignment. Great deal I thought. They also checked my brakes and at 36k miles said they were over 50% all around which kinda surprised me. I'd have figured with a Motorhome this size it would need brakes by now. He said I probably have another 30k to go before I will need them. Was also looking at replacing the serpentine belt because my rig is an 07 but looked at it and it only shows minor cracks. Should I replace? Looks like most likely a shop job as the access is not good from the top or the bottom on the Ford V10 motor...

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Notice he said 6 tires.

Pogoil

noleakman
Explorer
Explorer
You get 4 tires for that now with FMCA installed and beads

CarlGeo
Explorer
Explorer
On my third set of Toyo's. Tires have good, smooth ride and very good price. Less than $2000 for six 255/70 R22.5, out the door. That price was five years ago when they were installed.

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
cj7365 wrote:
lacofdfireman wrote:
Ok so you Toyo lovers what model and size did you go with? Also is there an validity in using wheel covers to prolong tire life?

245/75/22.5

Great. Thanks

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two sets of Toyo's and they are the best tire you can get. 22.5 M-154 265x75 I really can not remember what I paid for them, but it was not bad. If I recall it was like $500. less then Michelins would have cost me for six tires.

Balanced with Equal bags and you can not ask for a smoother ride. Tires wear even across the tread.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

cj7365
Explorer
Explorer
lacofdfireman wrote:
Ok so you Toyo lovers what model and size did you go with? Also is there an validity in using wheel covers to prolong tire life?

245/75/22.5

blakduk01
Explorer
Explorer
TOYOS'S IMHO

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Hankooks. Have been running 22 inch Hankooks on my Suburban for over ten years. Put 19.5s on my old PaceArrow. When the time comes to replace the tires on my new to me rv I will look at them again. This rv has 22.5 Samson tires on it and rides and handles great. I will most likely look at these also.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback wrote:
Join FMCA if you haven't and buy your Michelin tires thru there system. I paid $2400 for 6 22.5 tires.
X-2, my local tire shop (Les Schwab) wanted to charge me $520.00 per tire plus shipping for Michelin XRV's. I joined FMCA and bought the XRV's for half of that thru there Michelin Fleet Tire Discount Program! There are only 2 manufactures who build true RV tires and that is Goodyear and Michelin (XRV), they use soft rubber compound to compensate for all the sitting a RV does and they use UV compound in there tires to compensate for UV Rays from the sun. All other tires are hard rubber truck tires.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I had Hankook in 19.5 size on my F450.
On heavy used truck they lasted over 100,000 miles and I had to replace them due to age - still with good % of usable thread.
Overkill for 99% of RV, but most good tires are like that, while owners hesitate to buy $99 Chinese tires.
Speaking of which, when one of my Hankook blew on the road, I had cheap Sailung (?) put on. I kept record and that tire 1/3 price of Hankook lasted for 53k miles.