cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What about the "other" truck stops

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Driving along the highway today, I noticed a "Petro" truck stop AKA Travel Centers of America along the highway. This got me to wondering, why do we always talk about Pilot / Flying J and Loves? What about these other truck stops? Are they any good? Are there any advantages to other chains or even local mom and pop stations? Are you a creature of habit and only go to your favorite chain, or do you like to try all the options?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
27 REPLIES 27

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
This thread is getting odd... 🙂

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I've been thinking about this thread.... sometimes things just flip in my brain and I can't get away from it. This is one of those times, for whatever reason! So, I'm back! :B

I've read all the responses on this post, and some of the other similar posts about truck stops, and I will say this in all fairness of argument ... here goes... hold on, this may open a new can of worms....

I don't do truck stops because they are generally dirty, grimey, oil and fuel spilled, nasty, and .... face it ... creepy! But I do flush my black tank without gloves!

OK, there ya go! Call it an inconsistency in my way of looking at dirt? And whag's creepier than looking down a sewer hole in the ground? But, that's OK. I'm ready for the back-lash of comments now! :E Pour it on, I have my armor on now!

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
No it is not. Any place ...any place that dispenses fuel of any kind is required to have a system in place to collect spilled fuel and waste water. Fuel floats above water, so it's not a complex problem. You can clean any fuel lane anywhere without a hassmat permit, white suits, etc. Just follow the rules for your city, county, state.
I will not patronize pig pen lanes, just take my $$$ down the road
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
prstlk wrote:
However in all our FT experience the truck lane bays are a mixture of fuel water and "don't" know.
Why someone can't throw some Tide on top and pressure wash these lanes once a week is beyond me.
This is actually much more complicated than you may realize. If they pressure wash it, they would be forced to use a containment system and dispose of all the waste properly. It's far cheaper to allow the majority of the fuel evaporate and clean them less frequently.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
The real Flying J's, I always know what to expect. Easy in, easy out.
Original Pilot's are often much smaller, harder to maneuver in.
Love's are usually good, T/A's as well.

Sometimes I've pulled into a "truck stop" where the only real option after fueling was to pull straight ahead into a parking space, go inside for a meal or a SHOWER, AND THEN "BACK OUT" WHEN DONE... Sorry guys, I have a shower, and I don't backup.

:h Huh?
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
The real Flying J's, I always know what to expect. Easy in, easy out.
Original Pilot's are often much smaller, harder to maneuver in.
Love's are usually good, T/A's as well.

Sometimes I've pulled into a "truck stop" where the only real option after fueling was to pull straight ahead into a parking space, go inside for a meal or a SHOWER, AND THEN "BACK OUT" WHEN DONE... Sorry guys, I have a shower, and I don't backup.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stopped at Petro in West Memphis a few years ago, now. They a huge smoked inch plus thick pork chop that was simply great and more than I could eat.
We ate at one in Arizona that had southwest type fare. It was good but basic no epiucrian experiene. This was the reason most Drivers stopped there, some of the said.
Look for where the Independent Truckers with new rigs eat. They make over 6 figure incomes and new trucks every year or so. If the ycan find a spot they go where the best steaks etc are served.
They spend their lives on the road and eating good is part of it. It is not suffering bad food until they get home. To some they are home on the road.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
prstlk wrote:
However in all our FT experience the truck lane bays are a mixture of fuel water and "don't" know.
Why someone can't throw some Tide on top and pressure wash these lanes once a week is beyond me.
This is actually much more complicated than you may realize. If they pressure wash it, they would be forced to use a containment system and dispose of all the waste properly. It's far cheaper to allow the majority of the fuel evaporate and clean them less frequently.

If everyone brings a little fuel home on their shoes they would seldom have to clean. Called dispersal.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Talk to me about these truck stops that you speak of. Ive never been to one. Are they OK to stay at over night or are they something that belongs 5 chapters into a good horror novel?

truck stops are generally fine. when we were using them we would avoid those in big cities or large urban areas. the Flying J's and some Pilots have RV spaces in front. no matter where you want to spend a free night always, always ask permission first.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
MagillaGorilla wrote:
Talk to me about these truck stops that you speak of. Ive never been to one. Are they OK to stay at over night or are they something that belongs 5 chapters into a good horror novel?

More like a 50 page rv.net thread on over nighting at a Wally World. Oh wait, that IS like a horror novel! :B
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Flying J / Pilot, I generally use the Flying J for fuel due to discount of $.07 per gal off the cash price and easy no pain at the pump. Having 1500+ mile fuel range allows fuel price planning. The Dennys works for me depending on time of day.

As for Resturants, I choose the Iron Skillet for better chow and choices. Prices are not cheap, but you know what your getting.

I am a traveler not a vacationer, so easy in/out with a good choice for chow works for me.
Dave M.
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
I usually don't buy my diesel fuel at Flying J's or Loves as the last two years of traveling their fuel has been way over priced. I pre-plan my fuel stops about 100 miles in advance with my Gas Buddy ap on my cell phone and there usually is alternative truck stops that the fuels can be priced up to 20 cents less than the big boys. Never once had a problem with truckers. 😉

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
prstlk wrote:
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`