cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are these wires?

quarterhorses
Explorer
Explorer
This is my first post here so please be gentle. I just bought a Thor Freedom Elite 28z and there are some wires that are on the starboard side near the front. I asked a bunch of people at Camping World but no one knew what these wires are.

Anybody have any idea?

Tod
9 REPLIES 9

quarterhorses
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks txhood! I was hoping that someone had wires like this.

Thanks again.
Tod

txhood
Explorer
Explorer
Same wires on my Thor 22E. They are 12v power wires for a tv satellite
dish. The switch plate with the button on it is to switch between cable tv connector and roof antenna.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like someone had a 12 volt device there. It would be easy to pop out the plate with the switch on it to see if they connected to it. A voltmeter would tell in a second or use a simple 12 volt test light. The plate in the back definitely looks like a power switch for your crank up antenna. It may even have a small led that lights when turned on.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
On blowing up the photo, it looks like the hole is factory with a grommet. Test for voltage, either 12 or 110. If there is no voltage, hook them to a source and see if they run speakers.

Tracing the wires may be your only real answer.

Is the manufacturer still in business that you could contact?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to have to put a meter on them to see what voltage if any is there.
Is this a new unit or used?
If used is the hole the wires are coming through a rough cut or does it look factory? Can't tell from the photo.

If this is a new unit call or email the photo to the manufacturer and ask.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Is this on a boat? Curb side or street side. 🙂
bumpy

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
The cover plate on the left is a 110 volt outlet (like in your house).

I can't see the other brown outlet so I can't tell you what it's for.

The 2 wires are probably 12 volts though it might be 110 volts or a signal wire- until you have it tested (or test it yourself with a meter) you should leave them alone.
2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B

quarterhorses
Explorer
Explorer
The box on the left is a 110 outlet. The box on the right I believe is for the antenna. this is on the starboard side, but the TV mount is also on the starboard side past the door. The cabinet runs from the back of the co-pilot seat to the side door. There are speaker all the way in the back so could they be for those speakers? If so, why would they expose speaker wires in this location????

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
I'll ask a question back....

What are the 2 cover plates for above the wires? Anything to do with TV or stereo? Are the wires hot? 12volts or 110volts? Any switches control them? what is the cabinet for?
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)