cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What did you do to your Class A MH today???

Rich_Panganiban
Explorer
Explorer
This is always a fun thread to watch, so I thought I would start one here.
2007 Jayco Greyhawk - Kodiak 32SS
'00 Subaru Outback Wagon
5,655 REPLIES 5,655

kcstepp1992
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaned it up a bit and laid down a rubber type flooring and then laid down my first two boxes of allure. Worked on the steps as well. Still have painting to do but I was in the mood for something else and flooring seemed a nice change of pace.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Adapted a mirror for a Chevy truck to replace the passenger side mirror that a bus took off in Puerto Vallarta the other day. :E Feel a little safer changing lanes now!:)

Pics on the blog.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
NAUTIQUE wrote:
Gotago2 wrote:
Changed the oil and filter on my Coachmen Mirada (F-53.) What a chore. First the drain plug was right over the front axle so had to balance the oil catch pan while I pulled the plug and as it was draining and again as I remove the filter. Yep, spilled some here and there but it cleans up. Then the biggest challenge was refilling the oil. What a job that was. I have to think of something better next time. I purchased a 5 qt. container of oil but had to pour it into a one qt container to get to the fill hole one qt at a time. You have to be a contortionist to not only see but get the oil to the hole.

:B Gotta love those F-53's!!!

I've tried many different contraptions balancing on top of the axle. Most all end up with wiping up oil off the axle though!
One of the best is just a V-folded peice of cardboard to divert it into container on ground.

I use a long flexible spout funnel to drain the oil on my F-53 into the drain pan, and a 1 qt funnel with a rotary valve at the neck to refill it. No mess to deal with at either end...

Guys,
Maybe this has been suggested before but, I didn't see it. When I had the Bounder, it had the F-53 Chassis and the V-10. What I did for changing oil was, cut two large blocks, big enough in all directions that were just barely taller than the top of the front axle. Put one on each side and set the pan on the blocks.

Yep, it's tad bit of a chore to get it down from those two blocks but, you get the hang of it soon enough. That way, you don't have balancing act while doing other stuff. As for putting the oil in, yep, I ran into the same situation not only on that rig but also our newer '04 Itasca Horizon with the 330 CAT. It's a real pain to put oil in it. So, I made a funnel out of some PVC and other stuff. It worked flawless.
scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Sandy_Korners
Explorer
Explorer
I just cleaned the carpet. Will be getting our full time unit cleaned and ready for a trip from Marathon, FL to Gunnison, CO

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gotago2 wrote:
Dutch where did you get that 1 qt funnel with rotary valve?

This is the one that I have. I remove the long hose for refilling the oil.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Gotago2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, good tips. I like that drain valve plus tube.
Dutch where did you get that 1 qt funnel with rotary valve?
Norm
2011 Itasca Sunstar 35F (35')Ford V-10, pulling 2011 Honda CRV

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
NAUTIQUE wrote:
Gotago2 wrote:
Changed the oil and filter on my Coachmen Mirada (F-53.) What a chore. First the drain plug was right over the front axle so had to balance the oil catch pan while I pulled the plug and as it was draining and again as I remove the filter. Yep, spilled some here and there but it cleans up. Then the biggest challenge was refilling the oil. What a job that was. I have to think of something better next time. I purchased a 5 qt. container of oil but had to pour it into a one qt container to get to the fill hole one qt at a time. You have to be a contortionist to not only see but get the oil to the hole.

I've tried many different contraptions balancing on top of the axle. Most all end up with wiping up oil off the axle though!
One of the best is just a V-folded peice of cardboard to divert it into container on ground.

I use a long flexible spout funnel to drain the oil on my F-53 into the drain pan, and a 1 qt funnel with a rotary valve at the neck to refill it. No mess to deal with at either end...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
Gotago2 wrote:

Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! :C

helperzack
Explorer
Explorer
Gotago2 wrote:

Get you a Fumoto Valve, one with a tip. I love mine, attach a tube and drain the oil directly into a plastic bottle to take to the oil recycle. I use a tube about 16" long. As for refilling, take out a bar stool and sit to pour it in.

I have tried a nail into the bottom of the oil filter, it takes a while to drain out but I never seem to get all the oil out this way, some always gets on you.
Coachmen Mirada 310DS named "The Corporate Headquarters."
When camping I just tell clients that I am working at "Corporate Headquarters"

mustang652
Explorer
Explorer
Got a new locking gas cap for the Vista. Apparently Ford does not have one specifically for the F-53 chassis, but it's the same size that is on my '05 F150 and he did not have a listing for that one either. The parts guy finally took the non locking one back to the stock room and started going through various boxes to find a match up. After about 10 minutes he finally found one. I had to modify the retaining strap to fit the Vista, but now I can semi-secure the gas tank at the fill tube. At the price Ford charged, I think it's made of gold.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: VSPA, VVA, DVA,VFW

Hjudge49
Explorer
Explorer
removed and replaced the washing machine and replaced the upper scissor hinge latch on the entry door.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gotago2 wrote:
Changed the oil and filter on my Coachmen Mirada (F-53.) What a chore. First the drain plug was right over the front axle so had to balance the oil catch pan while I pulled the plug and as it was draining and again as I remove the filter. Yep, spilled some here and there but it cleans up.

Head down to you local big box store are get a $5 concrete mixing tub like this one. Solves the spill problem plus makes for easy transmission or power steering oil collection. Plus at 10 gallons will probably hold all the engine coolant for reuse to winterize waste drains and tanks. Mine doubles (after cleaning) as a dog bed, dish washing tub, power cord holder and anything else I throw into the storage bin.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
xctraveler wrote:
Repaired the hinge of the bed lift.

DW lifted the foot of the bed to store the pillows as usual. this was accompanied by a cracking noise and the bed lifted canted. Turns out the nails that held the bed base to the hinge had ripped out.

Moved the mattress out to the living room, removed the gas strut on the broken side, restapled the base to the hinge and hope it will hold. Real fix will require removing the entire bed support and rebuilding the connection. Not to be done on the road this week. Maybe at my son's unless we trade the coach first.

Need to totally rebuild ours too. Screws securing the strut to the slab ripped out--it's just particle board. Last year I had drilled out the screw holes and glued in wooden plugs but they ripped out too.

Like you, it will have to wait until we get home. Another on the :"To Do" list.

My usual fix for ripped out screws is far simpler, I fill the hole with hardwood toothpicks and Elmers glue. This fix has has held my driver side mirror secure for 5,000 miles.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:

DW lifted the foot of the bed to store the pillows as usual. this was accompanied by a cracking noise and the bed lifted canted. Turns out the nails that held the bed base to the hinge had ripped out.

Moved the mattress out to the living room, removed the gas strut on the broken side, restapled the base to the hinge and hope it will hold. Real fix will require removing the entire bed support and rebuilding the connection. Not to be done on the road this week. Maybe at my son's unless we trade the coach first.

Need to totally rebuild ours too. Screws securing the strut to the slab ripped out--it's just particle board. Last year I had drilled out the screw holes and glued in wooden plugs but they ripped out too.

Like you, it will have to wait until we get home. Another on the :"To Do" list.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer

Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526