cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you do for WIFI on the road

Forest66
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from from WIFI at CG and cellular on your phone what do you use for internet access for say a lap top while on the road.
70 REPLIES 70

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Forest66 wrote:

yeah Im more looking for some kind of connecting equipment i can use via a cellular network instead of a location that has wifi

I know there use to be a usb device that you could connect to the internet via cellular but cant remember what its called and cant find it via google

Used to be called an aircard but now more often a USB modem. It will plug into a USB port on the laptop.
I used a Verizon USB modem and plugged it into a Cradlepoint router because I had two laptops and wanted to have a home network.
You can also get a MiFi hotspot from Verizon.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, thanks. I suggest getting a phone with a hotspot. Verizon provides the best coverage, which is important to me when travelling. And what good is a cheap package if its coverage is limited?

Verizon's data packages have recently come down in price.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the Verizon MIFI Unit here that provides for up to five of my devices. Only gives me 3GB monthly data plan but it is secured and private and handles us checking in with the kids, paying a few bills on-line and some surfing the net. It is not for any down streaming of movies or HDTV etc...

We quit messing with the various Public WIFI places along time ago. As you probably already know they are not all that dependable especially at the camp grounds. Too many other users on-line...

We get our HDTV fill using our batwing antenna picking up digital TV from the local towns when not at a campground that has cable.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Karma Go hot spot. I was getting internet even when I had no cell reception.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

Forest66
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Forest66 wrote:
Im more looking for some kind of connecting equipment i can use via a cellular network instead of a location that has wifi
Your phone has no hotspot?

Not that i can find. I googled it and followed the directions but my phone shows no personal hotspot setting

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
What else is there? I guess if you're loaded, satellite internet?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forest66 wrote:
Im more looking for some kind of connecting equipment i can use via a cellular network instead of a location that has wifi
Your phone has no hotspot?

Forest66
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
McDonald's, Starbucks.

There it is again.. first responder quoting the entire OP.

yeah Im more looking for some kind of connecting equipment i can use via a cellular network instead of a location that has wifi

I know there use to be a usb device that you could connect to the internet via cellular but cant remember what its called and cant find it via google

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Forest66 wrote:
Aside from from WIFI at CG and cellular on your phone what do you use for internet access for say a lap top while on the road.

go to the technology forum thousands of posts regarding this issue

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
McDonald's, Starbucks.

There it is again.. first responder quoting the entire OP.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Forest66 wrote:

if the cg/park isn't crowded we'll try the patk's wifi otherwise we use the hotspot feature on our verizon ipad.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle