cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What GPS ?

09Sam
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a RV Class A specific GPS unit to replace the factory one in my coach. What do you all use and how reliable are they as to routes and information, etc.? Thanks...
2012 Tuscany 42RQ
DW, mini Dachshunds - Emma,Lexi,and Murphy
29 REPLIES 29

roundown8366
Explorer
Explorer
I have retired my GPS units. There is a free app called Waze that, imo, works as good or better than my GPS's. The Waze is user ran so detours, red light cameras, accidents, etc are listed within minutes.

I also installed a app called Low Clearance to assist in finding low clearances. Both are free from the app store.

I have used Tom Tom, Garmin, Magellan and a truck specific one (the name I can not recall) that do not come close to the Waze.

Jack_Kay
Explorer
Explorer
I had an older Magellan a few years back and after a while I decided that I needed a larger screen. That's about the time the Rand 7710 came out. I wanted it because of the 7" screen. I have since upgraded to the 7720 which i great. When setting up a route you can choose one of two choices which I like. It does take a while to get to know any GPS unit out there. The best thing is to download the manual and use it to figure out how to work it. (Rand and Garmin both have manuals) None of them are perfect and it will take some time to get familiar with a unit. That said I really like the RM 7720.
Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA
2014 Honda CR-V
FMCA #F341229

Rbrunson
Explorer
Explorer
I like to supplement my Garmin with looking at my days route with Google earth before heading out. It gives me a birds eye view of the route and also things nearby of interest.
1997 Foretravel U320 40ft.
M-11E 400hp Cummings
Allison HD-4060R six speed
Honda CR-V toad

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
Any GPS will tell you where you are. It's up to you to decide not to drive under a low bridge or off into a field just because it tells you to.
Let common sense prevail upon you.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Personally I prefer the user interface of Garmin, which means the Garmin RV 760. The Garmin RV uses the same map base as the Nuvi and Dezl

Garmin 760. You can also get Mexico maps for Mexico which are not available for the Rand

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The routing will not allow you to set RV specific routing options and may tell you to avoid roads you are allowed on or send you on roads many RVers would avoid. There's really no way around that so be sure you use good judgement and plan your route before you go.

A GPS routing is only as good as the source data supplied by the various states to the consolidation company.

No GPS maker, or map maker, actually gathers data on all the roads in their products.

I agree with you though.

A GPS is ADVISORY - when traveling to new areas, you need to look at a map and have a good idea of where you are going, what the roads are that you want to travel, and look for things to avoid.

Never ever trust a GPS to be perfect.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Rand McNally 7720. I previously had two different 7710 and they were junk. Also have a Garmin and it is ok for the car.

My old faithful is DeLORME that I have loaded into my 11" laptop and mounted in driver cockpit. Never fails and have used it with upgrades for many years. Currently have 2014 update. I will continue to depend upon it.

When comparing DeLORME, with Rand McNally, Garmin and Magellan I find the later ones to be more conversation pieces, I own them all

Koop
Explorer
Explorer
TEO wrote:
I'll second the comment on the Rand McNally, but I wouldn't be without my Garmin NUVI either. The problem with the Rand unit is that it ends at the Mexican border and the NUVI is usable and pretty accurate all over the parts of Mexico where I have been.

Paul

+1. We love our 'Nally (as we are fond of calling her).
Mike
2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS
400HP Cummins ISL

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no truly RV specific GPS. The routing will not allow you to set RV specific routing options and may tell you to avoid roads you are allowed on or send you on roads many RVers would avoid. There's really no way around that so be sure you use good judgement and plan your route before you go.
I still prefer the Garmin brand and I can add any POI groups that I like. Since I already know which campground I am heading for before I leave, having a campground data base is of no value to me.
I recently updated from a 2720 I bought in 2005 (it's now in my toad) to a 2797 (2013 series) and really love the large 7" screen and voice commands and lifetime maps and traffic.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

maanpaontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We have had 3 different brands, we are back to Garvin and will not sway again.
Not saying the others are bad but Garvin is top on our list.
2007 Suncruiser 38T
2004 Rubicon
FMCA F394282
:R

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I prefer the user interface of Garmin, which means the Garmin RV 760. The Garmin RV uses the same map base as the Nuvi and Dezl
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second the comment on the Rand McNally, but I wouldn't be without my Garmin NUVI either. The problem with the Rand unit is that it ends at the Mexican border and the NUVI is usable and pretty accurate all over the parts of Mexico where I have been.

Paul

Paul & Helen

2002 Winnebago Journey DL:)
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad :C
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco :B, and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.:B
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'll be happy to share our recent experience. We just got the Rand McNally 7720 LM and it is the best GPS I have ever used. We have taken several trips with it and I could not be more pleased. Extremely feature rich, fast, accurate and very user friendly. It was $269 on Amazon. :C

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Garmin and a TomTom, both RV specific and I much prefer the TomTom VIA 1605 RV.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you search 'gps' in Subject Only (using advanced search) you will have pages of reading.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman