cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the latest on RedMaxPro peeling and removal.

donsuefuggrwe
Explorer
Explorer
Three years after applying RedMaxPro to my 2001 Tradewinds it is peeling off and something has to be done. I am also 3 years older with rotator cuff problems in both shoulders. Has anyone found a easy solution to removing this ugly mess. It looked beautiful for a long time but not any longer. Before applying the RedMax I also removed the original decals and like the all white look. A great white whale. The front and rear caps and basement doors seem to be ok but the side panels are the problem. Different type of fiberglas. Moulded and sheet. Thanks for any help.
12 REPLIES 12

royl
Explorer
Explorer
Out here in the desert my Zep wax is peeling everywhere, wish I had never put it on there. I have used ammonia and zep wax remover, found out that the zep wax remover will also damage paint so I am just letting it peel and hope by next fall the sun will take it all off. If you plan to stay in the desert don't apply this******because it will peel off.
Roy & Sabine
2000 Coachman Classic 27 RK Fifthwheel
1992 Dodge D250

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
wildmanbaker wrote:
Cry about the RM peeling off, my clear coat is peeling off the front cap in the white areas. Found this out early this year when I washed the roof and the top of the front cap clear coat blew off with the water presser. Bug strikes caused crazing and has started peeling on the front also. When it all peels off, it will be Red Max on the front.
I found the bugs come of the front cap with just water after Zeps.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I had a small patch wiped it down with ammonia, rinsed with water, and reapplied RMP - blended in perfectly with rest.
Kevin

Spring made 3 years for me with Red Max and no problems yet other than doing the front over because of bugs.....getting ready to give it another coat.....

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Cry about the RM peeling off, my clear coat is peeling off the front cap in the white areas. Found this out early this year when I washed the roof and the top of the front cap clear coat blew off with the water presser. Bug strikes caused crazing and has started peeling on the front also. When it all peels off, it will be Red Max on the front.
Wildmanbaker

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am coming up on three years also with 2 repaired rotator cuffs. Last year after repairing my mirror I cleaned the area for caulking with acetone and it stripped off the Zeps rather easily I was not real careful with it. I ended up removing a larger area just to make it more uniform with the acetone. I tried ammonia but that did not work nearly as well as acetone. After the caulking dried I reapplied the Zeps and and you cannot see where it was reapplied. I have not had any peeling as yet and don't know if it peels because it is applied too thick or it peels because it wears off with time and washing and becomes too thin, assuming the prep work was good in both cases.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This thread makes me glad I never took the Easy Way (Zepp or Red Max Pro) route to a shine.. I still use automotive wax... Of course, Looks good and gives me better MPG.. not that that is a concern this year, but that's another thread....already....
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
The Zep stripper will work. It dissolves the old Red Max in a heartbeat and can easily be washed off with just plain water. I had to redo my door after about 2 years from the applicaton (poor preparation on my part) and it was really a very easy task. Re-applied and I'm still in great shape after 3 years since original application. And we fulltime.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
Had mine on for 2 1/2 years, started wearing off, some peeling, a little gray in areas.

I didn't want to use wax remover, not sure how the siding and lower paint would survive.

I took a chance, used barkeepers friend and re-cleaned the surface.

I reapplied using ZEP over the peeling areas after cleaning. Not a problem, came out just like the first time. Now, think I will start reapplication every year or so with one coat to maintain and keep it looking new.

It goes on easy. Using a white microfiber cloth works best for a very smooth application.
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

gjwarneke
Explorer
Explorer
We just also found out by accident that Magic Eraser also removes ZEP 😞

Jerallen
Explorer
Explorer
As stated the Zep stripper works- purple cleaner aka purple power or purple stuff does a good job also. Found out quite by accident when trying to get black streaks off one day. Mean green cleaner will also strip the rmp/zep off.

GTMADNS
Explorer
Explorer
I would assume zep floor wax stripper be the easiest thing to strip it with then reapply as needed.