cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this refer drain hose part called?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
This white hose (see pics) is the hose that travels from inside my refer (the inside water catch pan that runs underneath the inside condenser has a white drain hose at one end), out the back, and ends in the small black colored catch pan. I believe it is for condensation from condenser inside refer.

Can someone tell me the name of the small black part on the end of the white hose and how water leaks out of it? Why is it so restrictive? I'm assuming there is s pin size hole in center, but I can't see it.

I am thinking of mounting small fans inside refer (on condenser) and routing wires out through this drain hose. I would need to remove the small black fitting to allow wires to exit. I prefer to do this so I can run a separate 12V lead instead of using the refer light power and potentially causing a short in refer circuit board.

2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
11 REPLIES 11

wanderingrvlife
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
ronfisherman wrote:
Not sure about Norcold. Dometic has a similar drain hose end. ***Link Removed***. Kind of expensive for such a little item.
$16.64, it's a rip off! :E

I would stuff a small piece of S.S., copper or plactic mesh from a dish scrubber as someone suggested before I would purchase that end cap. 😉

I replaced the hole with 1/2" vinyl hose and stuffed about 1" of dish scrubber at the end. If you do replace the hose be sure to put a loop into it to create a trap like under your sink. This mod cost less than $10. Did it while I replaced the fans at the rear of the fridge.
2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
Wandering RV Life

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP is talking about running 12V DC wires to the INSIDE of food compartment to power a 12V fan INSIDE the fridge.

Dometic end piece in drain hose does NOT fit Norcold drain hose
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
When I built my trailer I installed a fan that was mounted above the coil in the exhaust vent that would pull air from the bottom of the fridge up through the coils and outside the rig. .

What he said! The fridge normally works using convection, hot air rises and as it does draws cold air up and the cycle is repeated constantly. Place the fan up on top to pull the cold air up over the coils and in turn help vent the hot air
Proud father of a US Marine

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow that is steep for a piece of plastic......

Got a 2 pack for $5.99 On EBay
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
Not sure about Norcold. Dometic has a similar drain hose end. Here is one on Amazon. Kind of expensive for such a little item.
$16.64, it's a rip off! :E

I would stuff a small piece of S.S., copper or plactic mesh from a dish scrubber as someone suggested before I would purchase that end cap. 😉

ronfisherman
Not sure about Norcold. Dometic has a similar drain hose end. Here is one on Amazon. Kind of expensive for such a little item.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I built my trailer I installed a fan that was mounted above the coil in the exhaust vent that would pull air from the bottom of the fridge up through the coils and outside the rig. It

worked well. Not sure if blowing directly on the coil will do the same thing. Check the vent on top of the coach also, I had some spiders living there and leaves got stuck along with some

dust and that wasn't good.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Discharge pipe plug....not sold individually.
Comes with new hose drain assembly

Functions
1) allows controlled draining of drip tray in food section.....condensation drips into collection pan and then gets evaporated by heat from stack area
2) blocks warm air from coming back into food section
3) blocks insects from crawling up tube into food section

Leave plug in place

Make a small hole in drain line above drip pan to insert the 2 wires for your fan.....then seal the hole
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
You will likely get one of the RV tech guys respond to this thread that it also prevents hot air from traveling back up the tube. I've seen that mentioned before.

BTW- that fridge has to be new. I've never seen one that clean
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you are concerned about insects going up the tube, buy one of the small plastic mesh dish scrubbers, cut off a small piece of the mesh, and push it in the end of the tube.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is that it is "suppose" to keep insects out of the tube....
On a previous trailer we had I lost that part and never replaced it. Frig worked just fine without it.

I'd remove it and run your fan wires as planned.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro