cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where is the converter in a 1999 Harney Pusher?

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed on our new to us rig that the coach batteries only measure 12.14 either with the rig plugged in or not. I don't seem to be charging. So I start searching for the converter. It has a Magnetek center over the bed, with 12 and 115v fuese and breakers. But the label says nothing about a converter/charger. Ok I think. Maybe they are seperate in these. But where? I replaced the one in my gasser a month ago, and it wasn't a bad job, and man I love the way the new styles charge and don't overcharge. Any direction?
1999 Harney Renegade
Mostly used for overnights at the drag strip.
9 REPLIES 9

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
I charged the batteries with a digital charger until they were full. And now the converter works perfectly. It is charging and maintaining. Used it this weekend, and both the converter and inverter side worked well. I don't know that I had anything to do with it, but I will take it!
1999 Harney Renegade

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I failed to give ANY info on this thread. Oops! Sorry. 99 Harney pusher.
The gasser had the inverter Magnetek built into the power center. No paperwork, but this morning I looked up the Inverter manual, and sure enough it is a charger multistage as well. Just not charging. There is a fuse inside it that I may have to check. This stuff isn't foreign to me, but the pushers sure are built differently than the old gassers I was used to.
Thanks for the help!
1999 Harney Renegade

MrWizard
The freedom 10 and freedom 20 series are very good, well built
But hard to find a shop for repair
But before you give up hope
Check the push button circuit breakers on the front , push on them to reset them
Also unplug the remote cable
Then turn the unit off,using the manual switch, wait a few minutes and turn it back on
Some times the control circuit needs to be reset
Several members have replaced the inside control panel

When mine died, it burned a relay mounted on a circuit board and burned the board, my fault I had too much load on the pass thru circuit
Don't plug electric heater or heavy battery charger, into the circuits powered by the inverter

When on battery inverter will shut down on over load
BUT when on shore power or generator you can over heat the internal pass thru relay contacts using continuous heavy current loads
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky1320 wrote:
OK. Ahem. You guys were right. It is a Freedom model 10. It says inverter, but I looked up and it is a converter too.
But as far as I can tell, it isn't outputting. The inverter IS working.

Bucky1320,
It's always nice for folks to put out just what kind of rig, i.e. diesel, gas, engine, and maybe other info that might help with attaining answers to a question. You stated in your title that you have a "Pusher". Well, in about 99.99% of the RV world, that means a Diesel pusher. And that means, again, about 99% of the time, that one would have an "Inverter" not a converter. And also, about 95% of the time, many Inverters also come as an "Inverter/Charger".

So, with all that being said, if your rig is a new one, you should have received a ton of pamphlets, manuals, books, brochures etc. with it. And, one of those, maybe even in the "Owners Manual" for the coach, will talk about your "inverter or, inverter/charger, and how it works.

If, you don't have any paperwork, then learning about your coach is a tad harder. But, I do not know about all the types of inverters and inverter/chargers out there but, of the ones I've dealt with, both were/are, inverter/chargers and, both have variable stage battery charging, built right into them.

And both, DID NOT have to have the inverter on, in order for the battery charging system portion, to do its job of charging the house batteries. Some folks advise having the inverter in the "On" position, all the time. Well, I guess if someone wants that, it's up to them but, it's not needed for daily use and or, like stated, for the battery charging system to be in operation.

So, with all that said, you'll have to determine if your inverter does in fact, have a battery charger built into it. I suspect it does. I'm no expert on this but, I don't think I've ever heard of a diesel coach, having both an Inverter and a converter installed. Normally a "Converter" is installed in Gas coaches. And, the primary reason that there are large inverters installed in Diesel units is because they typically have larger battery banks that the inverter can use to create 110VAC for those type of needs.

So, take a good look at yours and see if it has a charger built into it and, then, find out it's working characteristics.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Ahem. You guys were right. It is a Freedom model 10. It says inverter, but I looked up and it is a converter too.
But as far as I can tell, it isn't outputting. The inverter IS working.
1999 Harney Renegade

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
In mine, there is a drawer under the refrigerator. The converter/charger is under that drawer. The Power Center is at the top of a closet by the bedroom door.
There is no inverter in mine.
Good luck in finding yours.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Please verify that the "inverter" is not an inverter/charger.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
I do see the INVERTER right where you describe. And the power source switch, which hums more than I would think it would.
1999 Harney Renegade

khahuna
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is located in the electric bay behind the left rear duals and in front of the generator bay. You have to see it each time you plug into shore power and pull the 30 amp electrical cord out.
Dave & Jan Bussard
2016 Jayco Designer 5th Wheel 39RE
2016 Ford F350 CC 4x4 DRW w/8 foot box
Chloe Anne - passed 10/05/2016
Izzy - gone 08/12/2013 but not forgotten