Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Class C Should we buy and why?

Linda_VA2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone.
We have a fifth wheel and pull it with a long bed crew cab. This was fine until we really got old. We've had our trailer since 2000 and love every inch of it, but we realize it is harder now to level the jacks and the thing is just so long now and makes us nervous. We still want to travel and camp and are going to sell our present system and maybe look into a Class C. The prices vary from $55,000 to over $120,000. We can probably afford to spend around $65,000 on either an excellent used or a not so great new one. We want to pull a car on a trailer behind for getting around.
Would any of you please put in your two cents or maybe 3 cents worth of knowledge as to what are good brands and what are not. If it is new, we are concerned with getting the kinks out and if it is used, what was wrong with it. Help please and many thanks.
Linda
27 REPLIES 27

Linda_VA2
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate all of the items to think about. If it were not our age, I would love to keep our Jayco fifth wheel, but if we still want to travel and go camping, it is not an option.
We generally travel for short trips in Virginia and North Carolina, but each winter we stay in Florida for about 2 months. We must have a tow vehicle!
Even for the big trips, we do not pack heavily, so I think we are okay on that point. My husband would really like a diesel, but I think that would be cost prohibitive.
Again, many thanks for your feedback.
Linda

akrv
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest problem is your wanting to pull a car on a trailer. Almost all of the smaller class C's have a tong weight of 500lbs. or less. You may need a super C.
2005 Coachmen Concord 275DS
2004 Malibu Maxx LT

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget about the 2006-2008 Chevrolet Kodiak based Class-C's (SUPER C's).

We have had ours since 2009 and have had relatively few "issues".
when buying used, ask what things have had to be fixed/updated/addressed. more than likely, any knowledgeable owner can quickly show you what they have done, there is always something it seems.

these rigs are very good at towing also, that car on the trailer behind you should be pulled very well.

Ours is a BUNK-HOUSE model. plenty of space inside, has towed very well. We will be trading her in on a new Class-A in the spring. Our kids are growing up fast and the bunks will become just storage places in the future, no real need for that.

Good luck on your search and don't settle, find something you like and go over it very thoroughly, ESPECIALLY water leaks.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Linda. Some things to think about that may or may not be an issue with your current rig. Most Class C rigs are built on the Ford E450 chassis, while some newer, smaller rigs use the Mercedes chassis. One thing to consider is how much people and stuff are you going to carry, i.e., how much does this stuff weigh? Newer Ford E450 chassis has a maximum weight of everything of 14500 pounds, older ones max out at 14050 pounds. The MB chassis is somewhere around 10000 pounds. So, no matter who builds the coach component the chassis can carry only so much.

There are factors that decrease the weight you can carry further. In general, the longer the Class C, the more it weighs, and the less it can carry. Options like slideouts and leveling systems add weight and further decrease the weight that can be safely carried. So, give some thought into how you plan to use the "new" rig most of the time. Some only need to carry a little for weekend getaways while others pack a lot because of long term, high mileage trips. You will want a unit that can do what you want.

I would add that I would avoid any Class C that has a window in the front of the cabover. They are a great source of water intrusion.

Good luck with your search.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
We may be down sizing also. The biggest problem is with the front over hang. 75% of the ones I have seen have some sort of water damaged or delam.

These are on my short list right now.
Here is a 2014 asking at the top of your budget.
Also if your looking to keep it simple I would look into towing four down instead of a trailer or dolly.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Things to look at in a class C;

Wheel base
How many pounds of your stuff can it carry?
Towing capacity
External storage
Tank capacities

That I think is the simple stuff.

What to like? Three steps to get in. Never having to go outside to go to the bathroom on the road. Three doors to get out of it. The cab over makes for great inside storage and is a great sun shield while driving.

The not so nice? Slides kill cargo capacity fast. I cannot think of anything else really.

There are premium brands out there. I have never been inside of one. I owned an Artic Fox TT that at the time was a premium brand. So I have judged my two Thor products against it. The MH was a 2003 36’ Challenger. My current class C is a 28’ 2011 Four Winds. Thor cheated of dumb things in the class C. Like access to the water pump under the bed was not hinged. Otherwise the build is “normal”.

New, I would be very caucus of “features” regarding emptying the tanks. From current reading, venting over the stove.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Linda VA2 wrote:
Hi Everyone.
We can probably afford to spend around $65,000 on either an excellent used or a not so great new one.

That was our budget too. We were looking at a 2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK for $55K, when a new 2016 31FK showed up for about that price.

They're out there. Check RVTrader, Craigslist. Do your homework. And be very prepared to gently convince the seller that their asking price isn't reasonable.

You can find a great Class C for that price.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Linda VA2, you didn't mention what size you think you need. Full time or just some travel and camping?
For us old folks Sleeping arrangements (We prefer 2 single beds) and Bathroom do you want?
We have everything we need in a 22TB coachman and tow a vehicle 4 down.
Way too much trouble towing a car hauling trailer for us.
We got ours with 22,000 miles on the odometer for much less than your budget.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
rbreak wrote:
Wow, a lot of negativity here for finding a decent class c with a $65k budget. I must be missing something, back in March I bought an 8 year old 29' Winnebago class c in excellent shape with only 21k miles on it for only $28k. If I had been looking with a $65k budget I would have had no problem at all finding a very nice, relatively new low mileage unit.

x2
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

rbreak
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, a lot of negativity here for finding a decent class c with a $65k budget. I must be missing something, back in March I bought an 8 year old 29' Winnebago class c in excellent shape with only 21k miles on it for only $28k. If I had been looking with a $65k budget I would have had no problem at all finding a very nice, relatively new low mileage unit.
2008 Winnebago Access 29T
Class C w/Ford Chassis

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Look into buying a used Coach House or Born Free unit, they're well made and keep their value. rvt.com or rvtrader.com are good places to look for used RV's; your budget seems about right to get a nice 8-10 year old low-mileage outfit.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
You should buy the RV that has the floor plan and features you want.
Why?
Quality is a **** shoot with most RV's so that someone who tells you how great his ________ Class "C" is will be followed by someone who will tell you how crappy it was.
The predelivery inspection BY YOU OR A GOOD RV MECHANIC before paying and accepting, repeat before paying and accepting and after all repairs have been made in a workman like fashion (YES SOME DEALERS will patch things enough to get your money and get you off the lot).
You will never find a definitive answer to the question you posed.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was looking to get back in to the RV world after selling my Class A,I looked at the used market,and with a budget like you it seemed to be futile,to find one in decent shape.

My search led me to the Rental Market Here you can find used, well maintained RVs that are priced well under the new price,they take the depreciation hit,as you would if buying new also all problems have been solved before it hits the road.

It is another tool to use while looking for that RV.

Good Luck.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C