Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would anyone want an outside TV?

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking at "A"s on line.

After I sell my house I plan on trading the 5ver for an A and full timing it.

All the As that most dealers have in stock new and used have ann outside TV. I do not understand why anyone would watch TV outside (other than a baseball or football game).
If the weather is nice outside I would rather take the dogs for a walk or do some kind of physical activity such as horse shoes. I can understand why a outside shower is useful and a outside stove are nice but I prefer a charcoal grill. But sitting outside watching TV seems useless, heck I would rather people watch (watching people walk by).

Outside TVs must be popular because almost every A that I see has one but I was wondering if many people on this forum have a outside TV and if you do, do you enjoy having it?
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.
169 REPLIES 169

AAFD
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others on watching sports outside, for us Detroit Tigers, UofM football and Detroit Lion. My brother has used it for his youngest daughter so she can watch her Favorite show.

KC
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Towed Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
FMCA member

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
silvercorvette wrote:
I have been looking at "A"s on line.

After I sell my house I plan on trading the 5ver for an A and full timing it.

All the As that most dealers have in stock new and used have ann outside TV. I do not understand why anyone would watch TV outside (other than a baseball or football game).
If the weather is nice outside I would rather take the dogs for a walk or do some kind of physical activity such as horse shoes. I can understand why a outside shower is useful and a outside stove are nice but I prefer a charcoal grill. But sitting outside watching TV seems useless, heck I would rather people watch (watching people walk by).

Outside TVs must be popular because almost every A that I see has one but I was wondering if many people on this forum have a outside TV and if you do, do you enjoy having it?

We used to have one, with a smoker in the family. Once they quit, that was the end of it and eventually took it out. Now I did see one one in a CG, once that got a lot of use, as the owner was out there watching all day long. Paying attention to it too, but this is rare, I think.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
X2 nice job Bruce!
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
RayChez wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
RayChez wrote:
I had one on my coach when new. I removed it because I wanted more storage compartments.

With the age of yours I can understand that. TV's in that vintage were BIG. We plopped one in the basement of our '03 but only when we knew we'd be using it.

The flat panels sure have opened up a lot of opportunities.

Yep! They were big and heavy. I have replaced the one in the bedroom also with a modern thin TV, and I would like to replace the real big one in the front of the coach, but I do not know who does that kind of work to make it look professional. The cage in the front is made from angle iron making it hard to cut and replaced with some other kind of set up.

If you were closer I'd say bring it over. I changed the one in our '03 and it looked factory.

I don't have a before, but here's an after;

That looks really nice and that is what I would like to do with mine. I have been looking around to see if I can find a shop that does that here in the west coast.. Really nice job Bruce.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Bruce_Brown
RayChez wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
RayChez wrote:
I had one on my coach when new. I removed it because I wanted more storage compartments.

With the age of yours I can understand that. TV's in that vintage were BIG. We plopped one in the basement of our '03 but only when we knew we'd be using it.

Yep! They were big and heavy. I have replaced the one in the bedroom also with a modern thin TV, and I would like to replace the real big one in the front of the coach, but I do not know who does that kind of work to make it look professional. The cage in the front is made from angle iron making it hard to cut and replaced with some other kind of set up.

If you were closer I'd say bring it over. I changed the one in our '03 and it looked factory.

I don't have a before, but here's an after;

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
RayChez wrote:

In my old coach I made a mount for the new TV that was hinged, turned the caged area into another storage space behind the TV.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Wandering_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
Reason.......try grandkids..They use it a lot....McD

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
RayChez wrote:

2017 Buick Envision

Bruce_Brown
RayChez wrote:

Bruce & Jill Brown

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Buick Envision

Bruce_Brown
holstein13 wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:
Btuce,
That's a great idea, and excellent execution. What a perfect use for that space. It took a smart person with lots of RVing years under the belt to come up with this. Most of the workers at Newmar hardly ever get a chance to do serious RVing.
I would copy everthing about it, except that we never watch TV outside. Thanks
Actually, this is a Newmar option. It's exactly where Newmar puts their outside TVs. For whatever reason, the original purchaser of Bruce Brown's coach did not take the outside TV option.

I AM the original purchaser of our MH. I chose not to take the option for (2) reasons;

1. They wanted too much $$$ for it,
and
2. Their TV was way too small and their radio was poor at best.

I'm pretty happy with my installation, and I saved around $1500 if I remember correctly. Plus I got a bigger TV and a better audio system - and the fun of doing the project myself.
Bruce & Jill Brown

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
I will admit that I don't get the TV fixation, however so long as you keep the sound to your own lot, I really don't care. I understand having a good time, with friends and family. All those of us that aren't into the GAME ask is that you understand that we are also entitled to our enjoyment.
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
Btuce,
That's a great idea, and excellent execution. What a perfect use for that space. It took a smart person with lots of RVing years under the belt to come up with this. Most of the workers at Newmar hardly ever get a chance to do serious RVing.
I would copy everthing about it, except that we never watch TV outside. Thanks
Actually, this is a Newmar option. It's exactly where Newmar puts their outside TVs. For whatever reason, the original purchaser of Bruce Brown's coach did not take the outside TV option.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:
Dang WW,
I only have two phones, one jetpack, two tablets and two kindles, plus two laptops for the two of us. I'm going to have to get a couple more phones.

We also are short one TV, one over the windshield, one facing the other way in the dining area, one in the bedroom and of course one outside which I turn on while grilling so I don't miss the news or Antiques Roadshow:) We are not much for sitting outside with the TV on, generally it is more comfortable to watch inside.

When we are out, we are looking forward to meeting and greeting our neighbors. Of course we seldom have kids on board and when we do they all have very limited screen time which they would rather spend on their devices then on TV.

I always have FOXNEWS on outside when I am cooking. In Colorado, it can annoy the neighbors a bit!!
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!