Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why would anyone want an outside TV?

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking at "A"s on line.

After I sell my house I plan on trading the 5ver for an A and full timing it.

All the As that most dealers have in stock new and used have ann outside TV. I do not understand why anyone would watch TV outside (other than a baseball or football game).
If the weather is nice outside I would rather take the dogs for a walk or do some kind of physical activity such as horse shoes. I can understand why a outside shower is useful and a outside stove are nice but I prefer a charcoal grill. But sitting outside watching TV seems useless, heck I would rather people watch (watching people walk by).

Outside TVs must be popular because almost every A that I see has one but I was wondering if many people on this forum have a outside TV and if you do, do you enjoy having it?
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.
169 REPLIES 169

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well, this topic got interesting to say the least.

Actually, my wife and I have been married for 30 years now. We have 2 kids and 5 grandchildren. After all this time together, sometimes ... we just DON'T have anything to talk about and we're just plain pooped!. Snuggling together for an hour (either inside the camper or outside), holding each other, touching each other, and petting each other's hair while watching a re-run of Star Trek, or Leave-it-to-Beaver, or even Gilligan's Island speaks more words to each other than all the conversation we've ever had combined.

We REALLY don't care what others think when we have the television on, a camp fire going, and we're snuggled together, holding hands, touching softly, enjoying the fresh outside, and our good faithful dachshund laying beside us, faithfully nudging our hands wanting a pet on the head too! Those are priceless and precious times we have.

This last Summer we were camped at Lincoln State Park (Indiana). We did our normal, set up the television, got the chairs out, blankets, pillows, lots of food and drink and pretty much vegetated. The television was soft, and we had our own little world going on.

There were 4 campers that were together, with a BUNCH of kids. As we were kind of in the middle of their configuration, (behind, across the road, and beside us), all we saw all day long was constant motion, motion, motion! The poor grandma of that bunch and the lady of the main camper did nothing but cook all day for everyone, did nothing but wash dishes all day. The kids ran, and ran, and ran. The men were climbing inside the engines of their trucks, taking off, going places, running around. The women were chasing the kids. It was chaotic, noisy, and reminded me of a bunch of flies crawling around on a piece of Limburger Cheese! We were exhausted just watching them.

So .... who had the better camping experience? I do know, when we broke camp to come home, we were refreshed, in-love all over again, and honestly .... I could not tell you a single thing we watched on television that week-end.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
This isn't a "to each his own" thread. This is a thread about what respecting those around you means. Because rvs now come with outdoors televisions, it is expected that others tolerate it. I'm not buying that.

Neighbors like to get drunk and rowdy. To each his own.
Neighbors kids run in and our of our campsite. To each his own.
The guy next to us parks on our site. To each his own.
They play loud music until 2 a.m. To each his own.

I could go on, but you get my point. That's why we boondock. People don't care about their neighbor.

Turn the darn thing off and do what more people need to be doing, talking and sharing.

Wow! Man, you need to open a bottle of "chill pills" and TAKEM' ALL!

Not everyone on this planet is as you describe. Not everyone has kids running all amuck and causing issues. Not everyone gets drunk and roudy. There are some pretty nice camping folks out there and, we've met plenty of them. Kind, courteous, thoughtful, quiet, and more, were the attributes of most we've met.

We have been close to folks that were operating their outside TV and they have asked as we walked by, "Is this too loud or, is it bothering you two?" 1, we couldn't hear it if we tried and two, the visual effects of a TV outside are so minimal, it's a non-issue.

Not every one likes to read. TV is another form of entertainment. Some use it, some don't. People make such a big deal out of something so small. There are probably some out there that are inconsiderate and, have it too loud or, they're watching something obnoxious or, whatever. I don't have a clue as to the ratio of "good campers" to "bad campers". You just hope things and people are nice when you pull into a spot after a long days drive.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
qtla9111 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
This isn't a "to each his own" thread. This is a thread about what respecting those around you means. Because rvs now come with outdoors televisions, it is expected that others tolerate it. I'm not buying that.

I could go on, but you get my point. That's why we boondock. People don't care about their neighbor.

Turn the darn thing off and do what more people need to be doing, talking and sharing.

I don't like the idea of TVs while camping either, but I question someone who reprimands others for their TVs and not "doing what more people need to be doing, talking and sharing" but who himself boondocks because he can't handle being around people.

Boondocking is not a solo event. It can be and is done in groups as well. We boondock with others and enjoy the great outdoors. We invite others who have never boondocked to come along and try it. It's a lot of fun.

I don't think voicing an opinion like everyone else on this thread is reprimanding. I enjoy people and they enjoy me. I'm a very lucky guy. Thanks though for voicing your opinion.

Your last sentence came out very much as a reprimand for those who don't "talk and share" as you think they should. Many people have voiced that they enjoy their outdoor TVs as part of a social gathering - but you imply that they are not "talking and sharing" because it doesn't meet your standards of such.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
qtla9111 wrote:

You kind a got it twisted. Respect is what it is all about. You can respect you neighbor on a crowded subway or in an isolated area while boondocking.
You can show respect with a outdoor TV or without and outdoor TV.
Being respectful is about how you treat others. It has nothing to do with TV's or camping style.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

et2
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:

Why can't you talk and share with the TV? Why do you have to talk to someone if you wish not too? Why can't you share your TV? Why do you have to share your TV if you wish not too?

I thought Boondocking were for people who like being away from people. What makes you sure boon dockers are more sharing talkative people? I read on these forums all the time boon dockers complaining about people parking near them.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
1968mooney wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:

You are exactly right. We never set outside and watch tv. We set around and text each other. :@

You're right about that. I goofed, it is texting today. We see it all the time. Last year at a Cracker Barrel a family of four came in, sat down and began texting. The waitress came and asked for their order. The mother said, "what do you want to order?" The son replied, "I already told you", referring to the fact that he had texted her. There was little to no conversation taking place at that table.

I guess to be on board here I need to say something like, hey that's awesome to see parents and kids using technology together!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
toedtoes wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:

I don't like the idea of TVs while camping either, but I question someone who reprimands others for their TVs and not "doing what more people need to be doing, talking and sharing" but who himself boondocks because he can't handle being around people.

Boondocking is not a solo event. It can be and is done in groups as well. We boondock with others and enjoy the great outdoors. We invite others who have never boondocked to come along and try it. It's a lot of fun.

I don't think voicing an opinion like everyone else on this thread is reprimanding. I enjoy people and they enjoy me. I'm a very lucky guy. Thanks though for voicing your opinion.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
qtla9111 wrote:

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
No. It is not expected for someone to "Take it" in this or any other venue. My TV or radio is never that loud. If a neighbor were to come to me and say it was, I would turn it down. Folks. You should not assume the worst. Just because you don't like or understand the use of a TV does not mean it is wrong. I share with my friends over a baseball game.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:

You are exactly right. We never set outside and watch tv. We set around and text each other. :@

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltime ,no sticks and bricks. On our fourth RV. PUT A OUT SIDE TV in two. One came in the other two. Won't be with out one. Nothing better than a campfire, Bloodymary, beer and a football game. Have a exersize routine, like watching the morning news while doing my routine. And sometimes 350 sq. ft gets a little crowded.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
jeepfreak wrote:
For those with the outside TV's please remember that it's quite possible that your neighbors might not be as interested in what your watching as you are. I like the idea of the wireless head phones. Maybe you could get enough pairs for all your guests.

Same could be said about window shades.

I've seen things that have left a visual impact that took awhile to forget........shudder!!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

et2
Explorer
Explorer
jeepfreak wrote:
For those with the outside TV's please remember that it's quite possible that your neighbors might not be as interested in what your watching as you are. I like the idea of the wireless head phones. Maybe you could get enough pairs for all your guests.

I can gaurantee you won't hear mine over the noise most the neighbors are making, including the screaming kids running around. No head phones needed. If they don't like the view they don't have to watch. :h

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
This is a too each their on thread. My rig has two interior TVs. The bedroom one has never been turned on. There is an exterior connection for a third tv, not going to happen. The only reason for the one tv is, what else is the space going to be used for? We would rather read, write or play games.

YMMV
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired