Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would anyone want an outside TV?

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking at "A"s on line.

After I sell my house I plan on trading the 5ver for an A and full timing it.

All the As that most dealers have in stock new and used have ann outside TV. I do not understand why anyone would watch TV outside (other than a baseball or football game).
If the weather is nice outside I would rather take the dogs for a walk or do some kind of physical activity such as horse shoes. I can understand why a outside shower is useful and a outside stove are nice but I prefer a charcoal grill. But sitting outside watching TV seems useless, heck I would rather people watch (watching people walk by).

Outside TVs must be popular because almost every A that I see has one but I was wondering if many people on this forum have a outside TV and if you do, do you enjoy having it?
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.
169 REPLIES 169

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Normally I would agree.. Why would anyone want an outside TV. But.

1: I'm not a sports fan.. I have seen many gathered around the TV watching the ball game and drinking their favorite adult beverage.. In many cases the crowd would be too big for inside.

2: Sometimes, back when Wife was still with me, She liked to sit around ye old campfire.. Now I kind of like building 'em but not sittin around unless there are friends and perhaps something with six strings (or 12) and we chat or sing. So If the weather is decent (it is just now) I could sit and watch.

3: I do not, at this time, use Satellite TV.. But when I did the very best signal meter made is a Dish Network receiver.. Direct ranks down quite a ways.. The Dishnetwork unit however is every bit as good as a BIRD DOG (over 1,000 used) meter.

So I simply take my portable color receiver out to the dish site to aim the antenna.. Beats the hollar back and forth method.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
jeepfreak wrote:
For those with the outside TV's please remember that it's quite possible that your neighbors might not be as interested in what your watching as you are. I like the idea of the wireless head phones. Maybe you could get enough pairs for all your guests.

Is it seeing or hearing that bothers you?

jeepfreak
Explorer
Explorer
For those with the outside TV's please remember that it's quite possible that your neighbors might not be as interested in what your watching as you are. I like the idea of the wireless head phones. Maybe you could get enough pairs for all your guests.
2007 Allegro 34wa Workhorse 8.1, Allison 6-speed. Bow Tie powered 79 CJ-7 Toad or 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ivylog

NICE set up on that outside TV

That is best of both......storage and outside TV use.

Aluminum welding is not for the faint of heart. :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago, the weather was perfect so all the neighbors and us sat outside and watch the Olympics and so on.
Now every coach has one.
Our antique has smaller tvs and wrong places.
Got to see how big a unit will fit in compartment and on slide out tray and the biggie a mount that will work.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Why would anyone want an outside TV?

Botton line....Cause they can.

And if I am parked next to them I get to watch some pretty good satellite programs for free, the bigger their outside TV the better! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ivylog wrote:
Not sure why you think a TV will take up a lot of space. Granted I came up this design for how to put a big TV in a small opening. With the new thin LED TVs the mount could be even longer/taller so there would be even more space under the TV. You can even see the headphones I reference above for you camping purest/book readers/chilling outers who want no outside TVs, speakers, lights, kids, dogs, generators,...... Sorry, I could not resist.:B

As a "camping purist", I have no problem with outside TVs, speakers, lights, kids, dogs, generators - I have a problem with the adults who bring them. 🙂

That's a nice setup.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
It will only work if you have a large cargo sliding tray so you can bring it out enough to pivot to vertical and then back to shade it......

It can be done within a standard bay opening also.
There's a guy on this forum that did it from a flip open storage bay.
His was a Real slick DIY too.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
It will only work if you have a large cargo sliding tray so you can bring it out enough to pivot to vertical and then back to shade it.

Each one would have to be custom designed for the width of the tray, the thickness of the TV and the height of the opening. The mounting holes would be less of a problem but you can see the alum tubes I had to rig to mount the LED TV in the last picture above.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
pennysmom09 wrote:
.... They all kept the volume very low, so no one seemed to mind. ...

You made me laugh on this one ... actually, maybe they are not turning the volume down .... when you get to our age (60 plus), it's not the volume being turned down ... its the hearing aid not being turned up enough! :B :S

Ivylog, I have to agree... that's a great design

For everyone else, I don't have a motor home, but I do have a removable wall mount television in our camper bed room. This is the one we bring outside. If the reason for not having an outside television is "space" only, then why not get a removable (detatachable) type mount so you can take that television outside. This way, you have the best of both: space and the ability to set up outside when you want to?

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Not sure why you think a TV will take up a lot of space. Granted I came up this design for how to put a big TV in a small opening. With the new thin LED TVs the mount could be even longer/taller so there would be even more space under the TV. You can even see the headphones I reference above for you camping purest/book readers/chilling outers who want no outside TVs, speakers, lights, kids, dogs, generators,...... Sorry, I could not resist.:B

As you can see here, the opening is not as tall as the TV.

I've since replace the above TV with LED TV for the power savings when boondocking.

Yes, it worked on the first try other than the little wooden block to hold it up for a better viewing angle.

That is a great design, I bet you could sell a lot of them if you hooked up with a manufacturer. After reading some of the comments I might be tempted to install a TV with your mounting system in the coach that I haven't bought and don't own.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a considerate watcher more power to you but we full time and have "listened" to way more outside TV's than we wanted to, and been lit up with outside lights on all night long. Just my two cents...
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Plus, in Florida you are forced inside at dusk because of mosquitoes." While this can be true in the summer, where were you when this happened in the winter? Must be central Fla south of I-4 as it gets cold enough north of I-4 to kill them in the winter.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
My initial opinion was that it was a waste, just something to bother your neighbor. However, at the park in Florida where we winter, we saw many MH owners enjoying theirs, particularly the men watching sports or or listening to news while the wife is inside fixing dinner. They all kept the volume very low, so no one seemed to mind. We are all mostly senior snowbirds, so quiet is well respected. Plus, in Florida you are forced inside at dusk because of mosquitoes.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III

As you can see here, the opening is not as tall as the TV.

I've since replace the above TV with LED TV for the power savings when boondocking.

Yes, it worked on the first try other than the little wooden block to hold it up for a better viewing angle.