cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window Replacement

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
When my replacement window comes in, I'll be installing it myself. Shouldn't be a big deal. EXCEPT.... I've been reading about resealing and there about as many opinions on the subject as there are about politics.

With that said, the window I'll be replacing is one of the panes in the drier's side window on my coach. This will require me to remove the entire window frame and then disassemble the frame to replace the one pane. I plan to remove all the old caulking/sealant from the coach and frame and replace that with the butyl putty tape and a bead of Proflex or Dicor around the frame once it's in place and screwed back to the coach.

My question is...what product do I use to reseal the internal frame around the individual pane? Window Weld? I see at least three frame joints that will have to be broken and resealed once the pane is installed. Plus, how do I reseal around the replaced pane inside the frame? Anyone with experience doing this? Not scared to do the job, but want to do it right the first time so I don't have to come back and repair leak damage later down the road.

Thanks in advance!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
3 REPLIES 3

dajablock
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced fogged drivers side slant window on our adventuer without removing frame .I removed the rubber seals on the outside and pryed the window out from the inside ,replaced the butyl tape on frame put new glass in and replaced the rubber seals.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Followup....

Got out the tools and went in to replace the fogged up pane. More labor intensive than difficult. Unscrewed the inside retainer/trim ring while my wife held the window frame in place so it wouldn't fall out on the driveway. Took out the frame, laid it on a table and unscrewed 3 screws that hold the frame tightly together. Took off the small flat metal bracket on the inside of the frame (held in place with 4 screws) that hold the frame together where the seams meet. Gently spread the frame apart and remove the old glass. Put the rubber gasket (re-used the original) back in place around the new pane and inserted it into the frame. Now, the fun part....make sure all of the gaskets around ALL of the panes are in place properly on BOTH sides of the window frame. Learned the hard way that the gaskets on the top pane will slip out of place when you spread the frame apart. Once everything is back in place, gently but forcefully and gracefully (yeah, like that was happening...) squeeze the frame back together around the new pane ....drink a beer.....squeeze some more.....say a few ugly words....squeeze some more and get your helper to have screws in hand and ready to engage the flat metal frame bracket to hold it in place.....then after another beer....squeeze really tightly while the helper puts the screws in the bracktet and then relax....put your hernia back in place....check all the gaskets to make sure they didn't get squashed inside the frame...put the three frame screws in to pull everything back in place correctly and then reinsert the frame into the coach.

As far as sealing the frame back tot he coach and sealing the frame joints....the frame itself only had a rubber gasket around it to seal against the coach. It was in good shape, so I just re-used it. The frame joints, I resealed with a small bead of Permatex clear silicone adhesive/sealant. I'll get the water hose to it later to check for leaks, but I don't anticipate any.

There you have it.... for $150 replacement pane from Atwood, and about 3 hours of time in the driveway, I replaced my fogged up window pane. Now, if I can just get those finger prints off........
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

blazenpm
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I replaced every window in my travel trailer. The windows were not broken but the cloth like material that the window traveled in was destroyed from years of poor maintenance by a prior owner. Anyway, I looked at the job an said, there must be a glasser that can do this much better that I. I removed every window an took them to a local auto glass facility here in El Cajon, Ca. They did all of them for $25 a piece. When finished I picked them up and installed them with the same process that you intend to use. They worked like new and I had the coverage that if they leaked I could always go back to the auto glass facility and they would repair at little to no cost. Hope this helps a little.