cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windshield has a gap

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have a 1996 Monaco Dynasty. About three years ago I had the windshield replaced due to a crack in the windshield (which is all one piece). After the first year the bottom left of the passenger side comes away from the black material holding the glass in place. The man who replaced the windshield came and remitted the black material to secure the windshield. Now it is happening again whereby there is about a 1/2 inch gap at the same spot on the passenger side windshield area. Has anyone had this same experience and some suggestions to fix it permanently. Thank you in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
I just had my windshield reset at Alliance Coach in Wildwood, FL. They ordered a new gasket and reset the windshield. This is common on our vintage one piece Windows. They used 6 tube of window adhesive. They dry fit the window first to make sure the the hole is correctly sized, not always a sure thing. If any fiberglass work is required to make hole correct it can get expensive quick. Mine fit well enough to reseal.

The service adviser said even after resealing a bad pot hole can break them loose.

Good luck!
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would call another place that services auto glass. Obviously some type of adhesive is failing - or the mount itself.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Are you coming to Florida this winter?
2 Suggestions in Florida
Bryant RV services in Deland may be able to help you.
http://bryantrv.com/

If not then RV Glass solutions has nationwide coverage they are who I plan to use if I ever need something while on the road out west as I do not get to Florida anymore.
http://www.rvglassexperts.com/
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
This reminds me of a 1978 Dodge Ramcharger I bought. The rear side windows were a little too small for the openings. The first heavy rain water was coming in like crazy. The service manager at the dealer tried to tell me all cars leak. I said that's funny because my 1977 Honda Civic doesn't leak at all. Any way they took some black sealant between the glass and the gasket and used it to force the gasket back towards the window opening. It came out looking good and stopped any further leaking. Sounds like your window is shifting in the gasket. If it can be re positioned maybe sealant will help keep it in place.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago the windshields on our 96 Southwind did the same thing.
A RV dealer referred me to a glass shop that works on RV's. The glass shop removed the windshields, cleaned the mounting surface and reinstalled the windshields using the original gaskets. They used sufficient sealant to hold the windshields in place. The techs told me the factory did not use enough sealant when the glass was originally installed. It's been about seven years since they did the work. There have been no leaks or separation of the glass/gasket.

Find a good glass shop that knows what they are doing. Three techs were working on the windshields and did it right the first time.