cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebego Itasca Passage 1995 fuse block question

gregaiken
Explorer
Explorer
A friend has lent us his RV to use in a week.
He showed us by lifting the gauge section of the dash where the 12 VDC fuse block section is located.

I would like, if possible, to add an extra 'circuit' that will somehow connect to the battery up near the drivers seat. the purpose is to provide low current power to a 12 VDC to 5 VDC converter to power a GoPro camera continuously (in lieu of using the GoPro's internal battery).

My question is... Is it possible to somehow draw current from this fuse block? If so, exactly what 'part' would be required to simply 'plug in' to the existing panel, and exactly where within the panel would the part need to plug into? any detailed 'how to' (with illustrations) would be greatly appreciated.

If this cant be done, perhaps there is a way I can rig up something to direct connect to the batteries at the front of the vehicle.

Yes, I do realize we could use the cigarette lighter / power connectors in front, but I'd rather leave this free for other use.
6 REPLIES 6

MrWizard
yes you have his permission
that does not mean you can do it without screwing things up
nobody can tell you how to connect to the dash fuse block
the wire harness and fuse have to be the right size
there may or maynot be any extra empty connections
we are not there with a meter , using #1 eyeball to view things and test them out

best to go right to the batteries or leave well enough alone
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

gregaiken
Explorer
Explorer
actually, he is my actual friend, not a casual acquaintance.
i do have his approval for this trivial modification.
if he were 'here' instead of being in germany at the moment - we would be doing this mod together.
thanks.

MrWizard
Your "Borrowing" a friend's RV, and you have to ask about electrical because you don't have the knowledge

Be a good friend, leave the fuse block and the dash electrical alone
use the cig plug, for one item, make up your mine which item is the most important, go pro or other , leave the electrical alone
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

gregaiken
Explorer
Explorer
research on internet provided the answer...

a produce known as 'add-a-circuit' made by LittleFuse and Bussmann works in the following manner. you unplug an existing fuse from the GM fuseblock. you then insert the 'add-a-circuit'. on the topside of the 'add-a-circuit' is two female fuse connectors. you plug the fuse you removed into the 'lower' female fuse connector (this acts as the original fuse for the original circuit hardwired into the fuseblock). you then plug in the fuse you would need for the additional item you are adding into the 'top' female fuse connector (this is the fuse for the additional circuit that you are adding). there is a wire that extends from this assembly - you crimp your devices hot lead to the wire. this provides the +12 vdc to your new device. you must therefore ground your new device at the chassis, or any electrical ground attachment point that you can find.

my problem now is that i dont know if the fuse size is the older (larger) ATO or the newer (smaller) ATM. will need to wait till i get home tonight to figure this out.

hope this helps.

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
How about an adapter that allows you to plug more than one device into the cig lighter
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Tying in to the TV amplifier might be a good way to go. It might even have a cigarette lighter type plug-in as part of the amplifier.