cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wonder when the Transit chassis will be used for "C"s

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The Sprinter chassis seems to be popular because of the high MPG. This year, Ford is putting out the Transit which has a similar GVWR/GCVWR. The gasser engine is a normally aspirated 3.7 V6 that can swig E-85, and it has a 3.2L I-5 diesel as a $5995 option. Unlike the vans, the EB option isn't available with the cutaways/chassis cab models.

It will go to 10360 pounds (with the dual rear wheels) for GVWR, not sure on GCVWR.

I would guess it will have about 10-25% better MPG than the E-350, but wonder if it will become a chassis RV makers will use for their shorter rigs.
3 REPLIES 3

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
The Transit is near the same gross weight as the I-5 Sprinter and Winnebago managed to make an RV out of it. The V-6 chassis is 11030 lbs which is significantly more. It's doable and I'm sure we'll see one. The E series cutaway isn't going anywhere as yet so I'm not expecting a gross weight increase on the Transit any time soon.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too have been wondering about the upcoming Transit cut-away chassis. The DRW Transit for motor home applications has my curiosity. Unlike the new Dodge Promaster SRW chassis, the Transit seems it will be a direct competitor to the Sprinter.

I think the Transit cut-away will be a RWD, not FWD like the Promaster, but I do hope it will be FWD for an open rear would offer much more flexibility in motor home design.

If the GVWR of 10,360 is correct, that would barely work for us with our 23'-8" 2007 E350 rig, assuming the Transit chassis weighs the same as a pre-2008 E350 chassis. Whatever less it weighs, the more CCC margin we would have.

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
The Sprinter chassis seems to be popular because of the high MPG. This year, Ford is putting out the Transit which has a similar GVWR/GCVWR. The gasser engine is a normally aspirated 3.7 V6 that can swig E-85, and it has a 3.2L I-5 diesel as a $5995 option. Unlike the vans, the EB option isn't available with the cutaways/chassis cab models.

It will go to 10360 pounds (with the dual rear wheels) for GVWR, not sure on GCVWR.

I would guess it will have about 10-25% better MPG than the E-350, but wonder if it will become a chassis RV makers will use for their shorter rigs.

Was wondering the same thing. Seems like an ideal chassis for small class C. Also was wondering when Tesla is going to introduce its E-RV mounted to the body of its upcoming cross-over. Haha just kidding but if doable charging from most campground shore power would make it possible if range could be increased.