cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Xantrex and Lithium Battery setup

RolloMartins
Explorer
Explorer
I have a van conversion with solar+two 250amp lithium (Battleborn) batteries. The Xantrex is a 3012 3000w Freedom.
When on shore charge I turn the inverter on and it charges up to 14.1v. All seems fine and dandy.
Next day I will check it and it is at 13.5v.
I have a secondary alternator and it charges as well (when moving, obviously).
It seems to me that the charge should remain elevated and not drop. There is nothing on currently except of course the inverter and the digital readout for the microwave. Nothing else. Frig is off.
I wish I understood the electronics of this setup better.
ยกNo toda la gente errante anda perdida!
Custom Class B...livin' large
9 REPLIES 9

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
In an ideal world Li would want to be charged to 100% once a month.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is ideal as you don't want to indefinitely charge batteries at 14.2 volts, modern converters/inverter chargers have multiphase charging capabilities and will start with bulk phase where highest charging voltage is noted. Depending on how depleted your battery bank is it could take some time to fully charge, when voltage drops to around 13.5 volts more or less indicates battery is charged and is currently in float phase.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes. Anything about 13.4+ is fully charged if the battery was brought to 14+ volts.
The voltage curve is very flat from 13.4 to 13.0 volts and contains about 80% of the energy.

RolloMartins
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
LFP has a resting voltage that is lower than the charging voltage. The observation is normal.

So the batteries are still considered fully charged?

RolloMartins
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The charts Iโ€™ve reviewed show a lithium battery to be at 100% SOC with 13.6 volts resting.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
LFP has a resting voltage that is lower than the charging voltage. The observation is normal.

Jim_Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I forgot to change my signature
Jim Tewell
2008 Roadtrek 210 Popular

Jim_Carolyn
Explorer
Explorer
From my own personal experience that is very typical and donโ€™t forget there are probably some small things running in the background
Jim Tewell
2008 Roadtrek 210 Popular