cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your 1999 Roadtrek 190 Popular House Battery Location

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
Is it in the rear storage area, under the driver's side bed?

Just doesn't seem like RT would put it there. The rig I'm looking to buy has it there, and I haven't yet found a spec location for the house battery.
Why? Because at my age, I have maybe 40 more chances to see flowers bloom.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

10 REPLIES 10

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm. The plot thickens! I wasn't able to see the rig Monday, but will soon do so. Thanks all.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

jchawkjr
Explorer
Explorer
Just yesterday, I finished the battery relocation project in my 99D190P. The battery box in the rear left corner was in bad shape from corrosion. Added a second group 24 AGM and put them where the drawer is forward of the converter and other electrical stuff. Fits perfectly.

If they did relocate it to the cargo area, it may be because of the condition of the original box.

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
I just check our battery location in our 1996 190P. It is, as has been said, in the floor, under the carpet, at the rear drivers side. It is a deep cycle group 24 nestled in an aluminum box.
I was a bit disappointed in that it is only a group 24 (small size). But i guess that was standard for the time. I have a newish group 27, in a battery box that i was thinking i could mount & anchor above the existing one, under the bed. I would need to get a vent kit & vent it outside.

Jonathan_Clemen
Explorer
Explorer
The cabin battery for our 1998 Roadtrek Versatile 190 is located in the far back corner (driver's side) under the carpeting. I unearthed it for the first time today. I had to drill out one of the sheet metal screws holding down the wooden cover. It's a deep cycle flooded lead vs. the original gel type. It seems to be working OK so will leave as is for now.

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks SC, I'll crawl in there and see what they've done.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

smallcamper
Explorer
Explorer
The battery is factory installed under the floor of the van. The lid to the battery box is part of the wood floor under the carpet in the rear storage area under the back seat in the left (driver side) of the van; it is a rectangle cut in the wood floor held in by 8 or 10 screws IIRC.

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to have to take a better look at it...but I suspect it's like a standard car battery (not AGMs), inside the likes of this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/16401576?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=19880599990&veh=sem .

"Inside" is a relative term, it seems, since as far as I can tell, the only "access" is via opening the rear door, and reaching into the storage under the beds (I did lift up the bed boards when inside, and did not see a way to access the battery...doesn't mean there isn't a way, just means I didn't see it on first inspection...will check this again soon.) In any case, ventilation would be questionable, I think. Unless I've missed a vent under there.

Thanks again mum. You may have saved yet another emergency room visit!

Damn, my Monday list is getting long.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
If it is inside the rig, I hope it is one of those that you can't add water to... otherwise it shouldn't be inside. If it is inside of a separated storage bin, there should still be ventilation, shouldn't there?
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

CrusinSusan
Explorer
Explorer
Hm. In the rig I'm looking at, it is just sitting on the floor of the storage area (rear driver's side), is a standard batter box holder (black plastic battery box as from wally world). No "box" that would fit 2; no screws that need unscrewing. Nor any signs of the carpet missing (wouldn't it be if there was a box?

Are we concerned?

I guess I am a bit...need to see how they secured that thing.
CrusinSusan's Blog!!

smallcamper
Explorer
Explorer
That is indeed where the factory installed it. Remove the screws from the wood floor in the rear storage area to access the battery(s). The box will accommodate 2 batteries; the second battery was optional.