cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Your Opinion on Forest River

Margaritaville
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any experience with a 2016 Forester diesel on Mercedes chassis? It's never been titled, at a dealer asking $79,000. Would like to know the good or bad about such an rv. Thanks in advance.
22 REPLIES 22

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
loggenrock wrote:
Remember, Forest River, Winnebago, Foretravel - they don't make the components, they just put them together. Bad thermostat? Likely made by Dometic in any of those units. Converter? Same idea. We looked at Winnebagos, Thors, jayco - ended up buying Coachmen. Get the floorplan that works best for how you plan to use it. ST

From what I read in these forums, the majority of the problems with RV's are not from the components or RV chassis, per se. It's the design quality and build quality of the coach that most problems seem to center around.

For us ... floorplan was secondary to getting an RV that we had to buy just once, say, only every 15-20 years. A less than optimum floorplan we could adapt to - but trip postponements, in route delays/hassles, and budget busting expenditures due to unexpected design or build let downs would have been unacceptable.

By pure naive luck in choosing to go with Winnebago, we are years later still happy with the design and build quality, and we have grown to love most aspects of it's stock floorplan.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a new 2015 Forest River Sunseeker in May 2014. It is on a Ford E450 chassis so I cannot speak to the MB piece of the equation.

In general, we have been very pleased. Like any new unit, we had a punch list of items to be repaired. They were a nuisance but didn't impact our use of the unit. The biggest issues were the kitchen window needed replaced and the backup camera was not working. Due to the problem with the kitchen window, the laminate countertop had a few bubbles so they replaced that without my even asking.

Your success or lack thereof with warranty work depends more on your dealer than anything else.

In general terms, I don't think there is much difference in build quality on ANY of the so called "entry level" units. They all use the same couple of chassis, and they all use appliances, parts, etc. that are largely the same. The variables in quality are often luck of the draw. You can get a good or bad forest river, just like you can get a good or bad Jayco, or Winnebago, or etc....

Personally I think Forest River has the edge with what you get for the money.

When I was looking at class Cs from many different sources, the only concrete advantage I could find was that Winnebago does a far superior job with documentation and manuals than most others.

So, you can add me to the "happy with Forest River" group..

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, Forest River, Winnebago, Foretravel - they don't make the components, they just put them together. Bad thermostat? Likely made by Dometic in any of those units. Converter? Same idea. We looked at Winnebagos, Thors, jayco - ended up buying Coachmen. Get the floorplan that works best for how you plan to use it. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
MURPHY55347 wrote:
Buy whatever brand you are closest to their factory. We have found that is where you get the best service as they are best equipped to handle whatever issues may crop up. Not all dealers can handle all problems.

Thats exactly what I did. I'm 65 miles from Palomino in Colon, Michigan and if I need something, I go to the factory and yes, they sell me parts, even take my CC. Nice afternoon jaunt for me I take my camper with me too.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know at thing about the Sprinter since both of ours have been on the E450. We had a 2007 2860DS Sunseeker we bought used and never had a problem with. It did have a terrible uncomfortable couch, went shopping for a new couch came away with a 3051S Forester. I guess we are OK with Forest River, I'm afraid to brag but happy with both so far. Traded off the 07 for 14,000 more than we paid and had 25%+ off MSRP before trade in.
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just buy an Airstream pull behind and call it good.
2015 Backpack SS1500

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
IMHO - stick with Winnebago.

With Winnebago you're not buying "an RV unit" - you're buying "an on-going RV'ing unit" .... because of their extensive parts documentation and availability.
Yup, if you can afford it as a first time buy, absolutely go with Winnie, or equivalent quality.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Buy whatever brand you are closest to their factory. We have found that is where you get the best service as they are best equipped to handle whatever issues may crop up. Not all dealers can handle all problems.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
All has to do with how fast they are built and the RV industry is trying to keep up with demand so the quality suffers and it's showing in poor builds and warranty issues.

Glad I bought my new one when I did, just before all heck broke loose in the industry. Now, it's a real crapshoot if you get a decent unit or one with issues.

I see newer or new units in almost every driveway lately around here.
2015 Backpack SS1500

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Better than some, worse than others. As are ALL RV's, I presently have a Foretravel and a Forester 2251, I've owne motorhomes since 1977 & found good AND bad in all.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Forrest River... Built by Amish shoemakers.... They aren't all bad but most are.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
x2

That was definitely one of the deciding factors that made us lean toward Winnebago.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO - stick with Winnebago.

With Winnebago you're not buying "an RV unit" - you're buying "an on-going RV'ing unit" .... because of their extensive parts documentation and availability.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bought a New '07 Forester,I wouldn't buy another one, for one thing, they will NOT sell you parts, you must go through a dealer, so everyone makes money but you.
Have had a number of problems, from burned out converter (in the first year), water pump, 2 slide out drive gears, CD/DVD player in the entertainment center, rear camera, A/C and thermostat control, fortunately all of these were covered under the original or the extended warranty, plus a couple others that weren't.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund