cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Zep floor finish

cseidel
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone having zep floor finish on their coach tried wiping it down with 303 to give it uv protection. What were the results?
12 REPLIES 12

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I did mine about 5 years ago. I give the front another coat every spring, sometimes 2, and the whole thing shines. I have had no problem with it discoloring, flaking, or coming off other than the front cap. I my case it has worked very well.

So on the initial treatment, did you do the full prep work before applying the Zep? BKF and TSP with the 3M scrubbies?? I am planning to do the job myself this year, but am NOT looking forward to two-three days of the hand-scrubbing with the two different cleaners. There's no gloss anywhere on mine, but I guess the two cleaners are necessary to make sure all oxidation is removed first.

I suggest that only one of the cleaners is necessary. Pick one and go for it.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I did mine about 5 years ago. I give the front another coat every spring, sometimes 2, and the whole thing shines. I have had no problem with it discoloring, flaking, or coming off other than the front cap. I my case it has worked very well.

So on the initial treatment, did you do the full prep work before applying the Zep? BKF and TSP with the 3M scrubbies?? I am planning to do the job myself this year, but am NOT looking forward to two-three days of the hand-scrubbing with the two different cleaners. There's no gloss anywhere on mine, but I guess the two cleaners are necessary to make sure all oxidation is removed first.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just washed and removed all the black streaks from the side of the MH. I did not strip the remaining finish but just cleaned the the bad areas with Bar Keepers Friend. When I applied the first new coat it blended in where I had aggressively removed the black steaks. I gave it 2 more coats and it looks very shiny again. The worst areas were the front due to bug removal and the top above the windshield where it gets the most direct sun. In those areas I put 4 coats on. I think if you get it too thick it is more app to flake off.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
rfsod48 wrote:
RLS7201 did you do the recommended yearly one or two touch up coats or just once every 3 years? What did you clean you mh with before you started the process? I am considering going this way and all info helps.

I did not follow up with a yearly touch up coat.
I prepared the surface with TSP (trisodiom phosphate) and a green scotch bright. This is where I get reprimanded for scuffing up the surface to make it shiny. No coating will work properly on a smooth surface. Then rinsed the surface with a clean cloth and garden hose to make sure there was no TSP residue. Zep also has a stripper that you will need in 3 years.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
It works best on an highly oxidized surface. If the surface is too shiny it will not adhere as well. My MH is 21 years old I put it on about 5 years ago it has not yellowed or peeled, I live in Ct not Az where the sun is more intense. The only downside that I see is when ever I recaulk an area and clean it first with a solvent it takes the finish off. The other down side is the front cap takes a lot of abuse from bugs that have to be cleaned off. The first several years the bugs came off with just water rather easily. After the third year I used a spray cleaner with ammonia to remove the bugs, this also remove the finish. So based on my experience, I would only use it if hand polishing can no longer give you a shiny surface, I would not wait as long and apply an additional coat after 3 years or whenever it starts to wear. I would use only soap and water to clean areas that need repair or caulking. 3 or 4 coats does provide a terrific shine on an older MH.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great results on my 11 year worn gel coated fiberglass coach. If your coach has full body paint I would not attempt. Stick with products formulated for use on painted vehicles.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
That stuff is "okay" and will give good results for a couple years.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 did you do the recommended yearly one or two touch up coats or just once every 3 years? What did you clean you mh with before you started the process? I am considering going this way and all info helps.
Roland,Linda and Matt Schwarz, LuLu, MoMo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Catipillar C7
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4wd Drive II
Go Bucks!

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I have Zep Wet Look on my ol 95 Bounder. It doesn't yellow but it does start to flake off after about 3 years. During that time I don't have to wax, only wash it and the bugs come off the front easily. It takes me about 3 days to strip and reapply 3-4 coats. Soooooooo, I only spend 3 days every 3 years making the coach shine.
Your mileage may vary.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
zep to polish a RV was an old "fad". takes several coats and has to be removed, a big chore, periodically as it yellows. works fine on floors however.
bumpy

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used mop n glo which is quite similar. It is good to use a uv protector as well. Made it slicker and even shinier.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT