cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any fans of solar ovens out there.

Chaz59
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to buy a solar oven, I would like the All American, but its to pricey, any suggestions.
thanks
Charles
5 REPLIES 5

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I have a SOS sport oven, ( now owned by Salvador) and a Global sun oven ( the origninal version) of the American sun oven. The American is $329 with Amazon Pime, $305 plus shipping without Amazon Prime. It comes with all the pans, racks, thermometer, etc. included. They can get well over 400 degrees and you can cook about anything except frying and deep frying.

I do breads, cakes, soups, stews, ribs, whole chickens, roast, potatoes, rice, and on and on. Somethings are better in the SOS, some others in the sun oven. That not to say one is better, they compliment each other.

I started giving talks on solar cooking first at a rally I attended and now have campgrounds asking for them. You can make your own but it would be hard to match the performance.

http://solarcooking.org/plans/
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I had one for years that I made myself, I used it mostly for canoe /kayak camping it worked really good, provided you had the sunshine or a good sized fire, I finally gave up on it, just too much trouble to use it, I went back to the single burner stove. But as stated you can make your own very easily.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chaz59 wrote:
I am looking to buy a solar oven, I would like the All American, but its to pricey, any suggestions.
thanks

In 3 words: don't buy it.
If you're really into solar ovens, then you can make one that works just as well for far less money. You can find the instructions online in a simple search for "how to build a solar oven."
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Suggestions? Don't move to Portland Oregon and it would be an expensive paper weight.
Kevin

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Build it
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350