cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Sticks For Cooking Over Campfire?

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago a friend bought us some metal telescoping sticks for cooking over a fire. They collapsed to about 8" and extended up to about 2' and they had two prongs on the end to secure your food better. No one has seen them in years and we have no idea where they went.

I'm looking for good sticks to use now. Should I look into those cheap wooden ones that usually come in a S'mores kit? I found a pack of 100 sticks for about $30. Are the metal telescoping ones better? One prong? Two prongs?

These would basically only be used for marshmallows and hot dogs. Perhaps kebabs later on.

Any suggestions?
19 REPLIES 19

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
The ones I got at CW were different.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Were they these?
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We also find our own sticks and a pocket knife.

scrapnread
Explorer
Explorer
We have Womp 'Em sticks that we purchased from the inventor. I believe they are now available on Amazon. We really like them due to their versatile use. We bought them in 2008, and have used them many times.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Bama bluejay wrote:
Just a word of warning. Our son had a freak accident while toasting a marshmallow for a s'more. Our family had been out to dinner to celebrate his birthday. Our granddaughter whispered that we were invited to come over to enjoy a campfire and make s'mores a surprise for their dad.

The big campfire was built, had marshmallows, graham crackers and hershey bars but nothing to toast the marshmallows. Had plenty in our rv but our son said he would cut some from sticks. They worked great until birthday boy wanted one last s'more. The marshmallow started to blaze he jerked it back, marshmallow slid and it flipped dead center to his eye while still blazing. He was very lucky no permanent eye damage but he had a serious burn to his eyelid and around his eye. Weird things can happen.

Burning sugar CAN be exceptionally dangerous. So glad your son's reflexes were good!

As a child attending GS camp on Lake Kanawauke, NY, I had a penchant for burnt to a crisp marshmallows. Received my last 'mallow for the night, lit it afire and it started to fall off the stick. Reached to grab it thus causing 2nd and 3rd degree burns on the palm of my right hand. Later in the trip while walking through a cave a bee stung my right eye which made me look like a member of the Cyclops family. So my mother claimed a one eyed, one handed child with wild looking hair at Grand Central Station eventually. She was expecting the hair but not the rest;).

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have two of the extendable kind that I bought at Camping World earlier this year.

Having said that, I'm a believer that the 'originals' that you get by walking into the woods and using your pocket knife, seem to impart a great flavor to hot dogs. And they don't get red hot like the metal ones do.

Tim

RayUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
Bama bluejay wrote:
Just a word of warning. Our son had a freak accident while toasting a marshmallow for a s'more. The marshmallow started to blaze he jerked it back, marshmallow slid and it flipped dead center to his eye while still blazing. He was very lucky no permanent eye damage but he had a serious burn to his eyelid and around his eye. Weird things can happen.

Wow no kidding!

We use long handle barbecue forks for doing ours.

Bama_bluejay
Explorer
Explorer
Just a word of warning. Our son had a freak accident while toasting a marshmallow for a s'more. Our family had been out to dinner to celebrate his birthday. Our granddaughter whispered that we were invited to come over to enjoy a campfire and make s'mores a surprise for their dad.

The big campfire was built, had marshmallows, graham crackers and hershey bars but nothing to toast the marshmallows. Had plenty in our rv but our son said he would cut some from sticks. They worked great until birthday boy wanted one last s'more. The marshmallow started to blaze he jerked it back, marshmallow slid and it flipped dead center to his eye while still blazing. He was very lucky no permanent eye damage but he had a serious burn to his eyelid and around his eye. Weird things can happen.

mrgreetis
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad was a welder so when growing up he took 36 inch stainless rod and welded it to a "U" shaped end piece about 6 - 8 inches long. There were 6 of us boys so we probably had about 8 or 10 of those sticks. We used (and abused) them for as long as I can remember. They probably got tossed out when Dad and Mom broke up housekeeping.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have these Extending Roasting Sticks ๐Ÿ™‚
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Got a knife? I like the expendable ones. Of course - "leaves of three... Let them be".
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer wooden sticks. The reason why is this. A metal stick tends to heat up after a couple of uses. When cooking marshmallows the warm stick melts the marshmallow allowing them to fall into the fire. For wieners or sausage it doesn't matter which one is used.
Dan

ridingfamily4
Explorer
Explorer
here is a set of 4 for $10

http://www.pinecreekoutdoors.com/telescoping-marshmallow-fire-roaster-sticks-4-se4.html

I googled telescoping marshmallow roasting stick and several different kinds came up.
The one who laughs last, thinks slowest! :B

2001 Minnie Winnie
2004 Enclosed trailer
2012 Artic Cat Wildcat
2013 Honda 400
2010 Honda 250
1991 Navy at A School
1995 Getting ready for college!
2001 Boxer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
cm11599ps wrote:
A few years ago a friend bought us some metal telescoping sticks for cooking over a fire. They collapsed to about 8" and extended up to about 2' and they had two prongs on the end to secure your food better. No one has seen them in years and we have no idea where they went.

I'm looking for good sticks to use now. Should I look into those cheap wooden ones that usually come in a S'mores kit? I found a pack of 100 sticks for about $30. Are the metal telescoping ones better? One prong? Two prongs?

These would basically only be used for marshmallows and hot dogs. Perhaps kebabs later on.

Any suggestions?

:W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.