cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Easy Time Again!

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Almost Thanksgiving time and needing some advice from those who have a "Big Easy" cooker. I've been doing my turkeys in them for several years and have a consistent problem that I know is in something I'm doing wrong, just can't figure out what! The turkey browns up beautifully but never done near the center. I've been putting it in breast up and leaving the lid cracked so it didn't get to hot. Is that the problem, the lid or what, HELP please, we really don't like bloody turkey!!!
16 REPLIES 16

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Wish I could brine the turkey but most brine's I have seen involve a lot of salt. The DH and I are both on low sodium diets due to blood pressure issues. If anyone has a recipe for a low sodium I would be glad to give it a try!

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Cooked a turkey on the Big Easy over the weekend. Another success! 8.5 minutes per pound does the trick placed on the medium heat setting. Your results may vary. 🙂
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
For my money still the best turkey is one that has been BRINED first. Then Cooked BREAST DOWN in the oven. In the last 30 minutes turn the Turkey over to brown the breast.

All the juices run into the breast making it the moistest Turkey you will ever have, it browns beautifully and is done all the way through...

But directly to your issue with the Big easy...BRINE the turkey first, then lower the temps/gas and cook longer.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Is there a reason that the only thing that I've ever seen posted here from the Big Easy is poultry?

Maybe because it's called an "oiless Turkey Fryer" and most maybe only do poultry or don't take photos of anything else they do.

But it does cook a lot of other things that turn out delicious.

Examples
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a reason that the only thing that I've ever seen posted here from the Big Easy is poultry?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of a complete turkey, we are going to try a turkey breast in the Big Easy on Christmas.

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
It turned out better that it ever has in the past I guess the learning curve and I are finally meeting up! I let the birds come to room temp, oiled them with peanut oil, seasoned them, breast up in the basket, thermometer in breast, cooked to 180°, lid on for last 30 minutes, let sit about 10 minutes before carving. Did two like always and both were great,think I've finally figured it out!

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
KLO wrote:
Almost Thanksgiving time and needing some advice from those who have a "Big Easy" cooker. I've been doing my turkeys in them for several years and have a consistent problem that I know is in something I'm doing wrong, just can't figure out what! The turkey browns up beautifully but never done near the center. I've been putting it in breast up and leaving the lid cracked so it didn't get to hot. Is that the problem, the lid or what, HELP please, we really don't like bloody turkey!!!
How did it turn out? 🙂

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
I hope so,even read about wrapping it in aluminum foil to prevent the cord from getting to hot.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
KLO wrote:
Thanks for the reply's, sorry it took me so long to get back, the winter cold took me down. I bought a thermometer for use this year, going to try again using it. I also read about the spring form pan but in my Big Easy it puts the bird sticking up out of it so that's no good!
You will be glad you got a thermometer. No guess less stress!

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply's, sorry it took me so long to get back, the winter cold took me down. I bought a thermometer for use this year, going to try again using it. I also read about the spring form pan but in my Big Easy it puts the bird sticking up out of it so that's no good!

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
This 20lb turkey took about 2 1/2 hours on med setting with the lid closed the entire time. We smothered it in olive oil before placing in the unit. The best juiciest turkey I have ever had. This was from about 6 weeks ago.

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Never a problem with ours. We take the grate off with about 30 minutes left to get the golden brown.

This was a #16 beauty;

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Sportsman2505qs
Explorer
Explorer
We put the cover on just to brown. We also reduce the propane to make it cook slower. Also we use meat thermometer
2002 KZ Sportsmen 2505qss bought in 2001 Sold 1999F-150
Itasca Spirit 2014
Manatee Hammock