cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canned ham?

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I see that Walgreens has little Celebrity canned hams on sale. Anyone had one? Or, do you have a brand that you think is worth taking along? I will be boon docking in the middle of nowhere this summer and I need to take some canned meats along.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer
35 REPLIES 35

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
SteveB, my apologies.

You DID specify a canned ham and that's not what I linked. The one I put up is freezable though.

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
Steve B, yes I have used canned ham. Yes, it tastes like ham. I store some of the cans from Aldi's. I do not know what brand they are.

I have taken them from the can and baked in the toaster oven with a brown sugar, mustard topping. If you really want to kick it up a notch, put some pineapple on top.

If you try to slice and fry it for a sandwich, it has a tendacy to fall apart, but who will know, once it is between bread. It also works out as a seasoning meat for beans. Goes great in casseroles, and egg dishes.

Good camping food, if you keep in mind, it is not a spiral sliced ham. It is like chunks of ham molded together. That is why it falls apart when sliced, out of the can, to fry. It doesn't fall apart as much when baked, then sliced.

It has been many years since I have tried other more expensive brands. Might work out better. There are some more expensive brands, I have read good reviews about, but cost way more than I care to spend for my uses.

Hope this helps. Terry R.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
I have found my people!!! We, too, always have at least a couple of cans of each of the following rations in the TT: Spam, Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash, and Dinty Moore Beef Stew,

....with apologies to the OP for how severely we have hijacked this thread.
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just wanted to add - another vote for Spam - have only had the original flavor though, none of the new ones. Also remember that eggs are a good protein source - any way you want them, but hard boiled could be done over a fire and refrigerated for use in the next few days.

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I have bought them and also the DAK brand canned ham. Not that good right out of the can. I put it in a crockpot for several hours and it easily pulls apart with a fork. You can also add things like pineapple or brown sugar or cloves to it while it cooks. yum I also second the vote for SPAM.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, don't know that brand. I tend to buy DAK or PlumRose. While canned hams are not gourmet food, they do have their use in things like omelets, Ham salad, anything calling for a smaller dice or grind.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people say you should never eat anything with a face, but I don't subscribe to that. I like Spam. But if it looked like this when it came out of the can, I might think twice, or at least cut off the facial parts before eating it! ๐Ÿ™‚

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vintage465 wrote:
These are my people! I always have a couple cans of Spam, Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash in the trailers pantry. I have not kept a canned ham in the pantry cause we have the cans of spam to cover that base. But if I saw a small canned ham on sale, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and give it a run for the money.

X2!
when we had our sail boat (20') we would buy canned Danish bacon.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have tried and like canned beef & gravy. Walmart has it's own brand and different brands can be found at places like Dollar General and Family Dollar. We use it along with a dry packet of beef/brown gravy to make beef & noodles. Usually makes about 4 servings and we then have leftovers for lunch the next day. Sometimes I simmer baby carrots and add in with it. Could also make a stew with it or a soup. The canned white meat/breast of chicken is good also and can be used for other things. Chicken enchiladas, soups, stew, noodles etc. And, there is always tuna.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
In the off season try your hand at your own canning, turkey, chicken, beef, ham and fish, lasts for years and a whole lot better than that processed junk.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
No WMs near me for about 100 miles so I never food shop there or know that brand. Not surprising because NYC is infamous for the size of most of our supermarkets (other parts of the country would prolly call them superettes, LOL) and their are less choice of brands as a consequence.

When I want a small ham this is what I buy:

D'Artagnan petite apple smoked boneless ham

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

Edit:
Oops ... posted a bit too late!

If you add a pinch of honey over it ... oh yum!

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I've tried Spam and won't eat it. Just wondering about the hams and brand preferences.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping without Spam? NO way.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
These are my people! I always have a couple cans of Spam, Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash in the trailers pantry. I have not kept a canned ham in the pantry cause we have the cans of spam to cover that base. But if I saw a small canned ham on sale, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and give it a run for the money.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!