cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corn on the cob in microwave!

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
My Nephew came to visit this summer, brought corn on the cob and showed me how to microwave it.
I put 2 ears with husk on in the microwave (did tonight!) and cook it on high for 7 minutes.
With a sharp knife cut the stem end off at the first row of corn.
Then grab the small end and shake the ear out of the husk.
It might take some shaking (and it's hot) but it comes out clean without the silk!
I have had corn 5-6 times since he showed me and it works every time.
12 REPLIES 12

Stevebx
Explorer
Explorer
i've been microwaving corn for years. They sell covered cookers for corn at Walmart and other places. Add a little water in the bottom for steam. I cook for 6 minutes, in my 700 watt microwave. The cooker holds 2 ears. Easy and better tasting than boiling.
Steven Brewer

David_and_Deb
Explorer
Explorer
This is unbelievably easy! The corn goes straight from the grocer to the micro without any messy prep. I cook two ears for 4 minutes then hold with a kitchen towel while cutting off the stem end (opposite silk end) with my larger, sharp chef's knife. Easy! THEN slather with ranch dressing and roll in crushed ranch Doritos. Addicting!
David and Deb, plus our border collie, Sadie.

moonstone
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Better, well at least for us. Husk the corn, wrap in plastic wrap. Microwave 5 minutes. Unwrap, butter, salt to taste and eat.

As long as you are using plastic wrap that is safe to touch food while microwaving. Many aren't due to the plastic emitting dangerous chemicals when heated. Check the box for precautions.
It is probably better to place cobs in a deep casserole dish or bowl (so cobs are 3-4 inches below rim) with a bit of water then seal dish with plastic wrap

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on the mw wattage too. I like my cobs roasted on the grill and slathered with butter, mayo and cotija.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
You are microwaving it too long. Reduce the time to 3 minutes, and do only 1 ear at a time. I cut the ends off first before cooking. Then after it cooks you have less "hot" to deal with. The 3 minute cook will make it more crispy and not so mushy.

I do the same, cut and cook for 3 min, but do 2 ears at a time... works good for us.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Great leaving them in the husk and then tossing them in a slow cooker on low to keep them warm.

I just heap the corn into the slow cooker and cover with a towel. No need to use the lid.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Stim wrote:
My Nephew came to visit this summer, brought corn on the cob and showed me how to microwave it.
I put 2 ears with husk on in the microwave (did tonight!) and cook it on high for 7 minutes.
It might take some shaking (and it's hot) but it comes out clean without the silk!

We've been doing this now for a couple years. Sure takes the work out of corn on the cob! I have experimented with the time. . . if it's a little hard to get the cob out, it usually requires just a another minute or two. Lately we've been doing 4 minutes one at a time. But it all works!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You are microwaving it too long. Reduce the time to 3 minutes, and do only 1 ear at a time. I cut the ends off first before cooking. Then after it cooks you have less "hot" to deal with. The 3 minute cook will make it more crispy and not so mushy.

Another technique is to husk the cob completely, then wrap in a soaking wet paper towel for 3 minutes. I prefer to leave the husks on while cooking though.

I've been doing the microwave corn on the cob with husks on for years and years now. I even take ears of corn with me to work and fix it in the microwave there. (my company has a cafeteria), so when I pull out the steaming hot corn on the cob, everyone around me always asks, "Were they serving THAT today? I didn't see that! Looks wonderful!"

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Stim wrote:

We do this as well. Works great!

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stim wrote:
============================================================

We do 8 minutes for 2 ears and then let them steam in the microwave for 1 minute before cutting the stem and then sliding them out. No silk and they are very tender!!! Easy and cooked to perfection!
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Different strokes......

We shuck it, clean it, place 2 ears in a glass bowl....cover with plastic wrap and then cook on high 3 1/2 minutes
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Better, well at least for us. Husk the corn, wrap in plastic wrap. Microwave 5 minutes. Unwrap, butter, salt to taste and eat.