cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting rid of new pre seasoned Lodge crud

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
I know others on the web, have experienced black stuff on their food, from new Lodge cast iron cookware.

I have read some people believe it is food that has not been properly cleaned off. I know my cookware was cleaned appropriately.

I finally decided to call Lodge and find out what the problem is, with their pre seasoned cookware. I was told it is the cooking grade oil, they spray the cast iron with. It is perfectly normal. With regular use it could take up to two or more years, before the coating stops leaching off the cook ware into your food.

I do not find a fried egg that looks like it has been cooked in motor oil, acceptable, so I decided to see if I could remedy the situation without completely stripping the cookware.

I put about a cup of white vinegar into one of the skillets, I was trying to fix. Then I filled it completely with water and boiled it about 10 minutes. Let it cool a bit, dipped out the water, until I could easily dump it. Rubbed it several times with coarse salt, until salt was becoming less black. Wiped salt out, put on stove and heated it until completely dry and warm. Got some oil and paper towels, and start wiping it. Wiped out as much oil as I possibly could. Rag or paper towel will be black. Just keep oiling and wiping warm pan, reheating as neccessary, until towels or rag are no longer black with Lodge crud.

Then I coated very warm inside, with an almost invisible amount of oil. I heated it until there was barely a sign of smoke for a few minutes. I let it cool and repeated 3 times.

Looks great, fries the perfect egg, as good as any nonstick. Best of all, no black slime or flecks on my egg whites.

I have never had a problem with any antique cast iron or new un seasoned cookware, just new Lodge pre seasoned stuff.

Of course you could just strip it and re season anew. I did nothing to the outside and will care for it now, as I do my other pieces. Terry
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra
7 REPLIES 7

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
That's great info. I wasn't aware of an issue with Lodge as I haven't purchase myself a new skillet for some time now
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

rosspulliam
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
I got a cast iron pan from my step daughter. She knew I liked them and thought more was better. I already have a few favorites, one from my grandfather. Anyway I hit it with a sanding disc on a die grinder then a buffing pad. Washed it with soap and water, wiped it with Crisco and left it in the oven on low for 3 hrs.
It came out better then I expected and eggs slide around in it now.
I don't know where the pan came from but not only did they put stuff on it, it was as ruff as a gravel road.

At least I'm not the only one that takes sanding discs on a die grinder to new cast iron. New castings are terribly rough.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I bought some preseasoned cast iron cookware in the early 80's . Food tasted terrible. After about a year or two I finally put it in the oven at about 450degrees for a few hours. That helped a lot. I like Little Kopits idea. I still have most of it today. That bad flavor finally went away.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Next time you have a campfire, throw it in the coals... that heat isn't going to hurt the iron but it should burn off any kind of coating that's on there.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I got a cast iron pan from my step daughter. She knew I liked them and thought more was better. I already have a few favorites, one from my grandfather. Anyway I hit it with a sanding disc on a die grinder then a buffing pad. Washed it with soap and water, wiped it with Crisco and left it in the oven on low for 3 hrs.
It came out better then I expected and eggs slide around in it now.
I don't know where the pan came from but not only did they put stuff on it, it was as ruff as a gravel road.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lodge is making big mistake. Most would give up.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Find someone with a self-cleaning cycle on their oven.

Put this pan in that oven turn it to the self cleaning cycle and follow instructions for that. Make sure to put your pan in the oven cool. & make sure to leave it in that oven after the self cleaning cycle until it is completely at room temperature.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006