cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot pot vs. crock pot?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
A hot pot is a deep nonstick pot with a heating coil built into the bottom. Like an electric frying pan, but for soups and deep-frying and stuff. It can be turned down low like a slow cooker, or turned up high.

Has anybody used one of these in the RV?

I picked one up at a garage sale, and have used it a couple times at my S&B. I am thinking about bringing it instead of the slow cooker... maybe even instead of the hot plate. It weighs less than either of them.

I'm wondering if there is some drawback that I am unaware of, since a search says y'all never talk about them here :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
12 REPLIES 12

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. That's a FRY DADDY!
These were very common about 15 years ago. We have one and use it for deep frying only, although I suppose a person could make soup or other things in it.

We never bring this with us camping, but we always bring the crock pot. I would be very uncomfortable leaving a Fry Daddy powered up while out of the camper for a few hours. No such worry with a crock pot or the Instant Pot mentioned by jmarkf.

jmarkf
Explorer
Explorer
The one we use all the time on our RV is the Instant Pot - http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Programmable-Generation/dp/B00FLYWNYQ

It does like six or seven things in one pot from slow cooking, rice cooker, pressure cooker and others. It has become our "go-to" pot for one-pot meals. Does a good job and with the removable insert, easy to clean. Usually we set it up before we leave in the morning and dinner is waiting for us when we return in the evening. And when we dont, having the pressure cooker can turn out a great meal in under an hour usually.

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
We have one and it was called a Fry Daddy. Never tried to use it as a hot pot.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
I have one and use it every camping trip, but the old crock pot still gets to go along. I consider the Kitchen Kettle to work more like a sauce pan, fryer, steamer. It cleans up easily which is very nice while camping.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

Sportsman2505qs
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Kitchen Kettle and cook in it alot but I also like my crock pot. Depends what your cooking. Going to leave all day I would use the crock pot.
2002 KZ Sportsmen 2505qss bought in 2001 Sold 1999F-150
Itasca Spirit 2014
Manatee Hammock

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I have used it outside for soups on hot days to avoid heating up the house!

I HAVE burned things in a crockpot. Turns out you can't leave broth stewing overnight in mine. It burns on the TOP! I guess because heat rises?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's the one we have. Not a good crockpot. More like an electric fry pan.
If you set it for 200 it will cool down to 195 and when it turns on will quickly heat up to low 200s.

A Crockpot is a 300 device. Heats evenly, no hot spots.

Great fryer, rice cooker though. For frying, I take it outside and use it.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Have 3 or 4 crock pot cookbooks, all caution about cookers that heat from the bottom rather than the sides, as BK stated. Have seen a couple that can be used as a deep fryer, but include a removable ceramic insert, but the warning still applies.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
We have a few. We mostly use it for deep frying. Ours don't go down low enough to use as a crock pot. It also heats from the bottom so you have to stir often.

Thanks Katuna; I was wondering how that would go.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a few. We mostly use it for deep frying. Ours don't go down low enough to use as a crock pot. It also heats from the bottom so you have to stir often.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the pot I am referring to. It was harder to google than I thought, so I didn't want you all to have to do it!

It is 1500 watts, according to amazon purchasers. That's way more than my 900w hot plate O_o.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the wattage?

Crock pots typically have removable inserts that make for cleaning easier....especially in an RV sink
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31