cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mississippi Roast

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
This picture looks real intimidating and strange but it is SO simple to make AND tastes incredible! I should take a picture of it when it's done!:W
You will never eat pot roast any other way once you have tasted this.

Mississippi Roast

Put chuck roast in crock pot,
Sprinkle with dry Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix,
Add packet of dry McCormick Au Jus mix,
A stick of butter,
5 pepperoncini peppers.
DO NOT ADD WATER.
Cook on low for 7-8 hrs

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

20 REPLIES 20

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
A whole stick of butter? Are you related to the Deens?
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
Tried it tonight and it was great. I don't normally like roast in the crock pot but the whole family enjoyed tonight's dinner.

thanks for sharing.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
This recipe might play better to some cuts of meat. Cheaper, tough pieces of meat that are lean need some fat to help break down the muscle tissue. I think that this would work well with something like a London Broil that is tough and has very little of its own fat.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
Not as simple as putting meat in with just sliced onion and 1 cup of low sodium beef broth and a whole lot healthier. With all the fat in most roasts then add that much butter and all the salt in the other ingredients...you bet I wouldn't eat it nor cook it. Thanks for sharing...reminds us to watch our salt and fat like we are supposed to!
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
I made this recipe tonight and while it was good, I don't think it was better than an older recipe that I've used which calls for one dry packet each of brown gravy mix, Ranch dressing mix, and Italian dressing mix. And, it doesn't need any butter at all.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a great idea. The butter idea is a good one too IMO. Gotta try it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Made it last night. Added 1/4c of vegetable oil instead of butter, tossed in 1/2 medium onion, and used Anaheim peppers, three medium size. After serving with egg noodles, I shredded the rest and added one can of beef broth. It made an excellent sandwich, served on kaiser roll with horseradish as condiment. Still had enough left over to put in the freezer for a future, ready made meal. There are many permutations of this recipe. Enjoy, and thanks for sharing.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer

Leo_Benson
Explorer
Explorer
i cook plenty of things with no added water. I don't like "boiled" type pot roasts anyway.
I would probably cut the butter out or way down, chuck roast is a fairly fatty cut anyway.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
The new CP's are higher. Mine runs close to 200 on high and about 175 on low. This is for 2 different pots. The key though is that crocks are kept on for long periods of time and food is normally heated completely through. The meat put in a crock already has bacteria growing in it, although it might not be a seriously harmful one.
Once the contents of a crock hit 170, or a true 165, all bacteria dies and doesn't just slow down. It doesn't matter if it's E coli or something that can't make it through stomach acid.
So the bottom line is, IMO, don't pay that much attention to the timing in a CP recipe, but instead cook it a long time. One indication for meat is when it's starting to fall apart, it doesn't do that until it is approaching 190 degrees.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I read somewhere that the new "crock pots" or slow cookers, heat to a higher temp than the old crock pots which were about 180 deg on low. The slow cookers min temp is about 250 deg on low. This is why a lot of the recipes for crock pots don't cook as slow as the slow cookers. JMO based on what I read.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I've been cooking frozen meat in my crockpot for decades. I do cook it a long time and while there may be a period of bacteria growth during the cooking, dead bacteria is harmless. I'm not going to get excited about the CP as long as people are eating sushi and rare steak.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
That looks good, but an entire stick of butter?

Looks like a Wisconsin thing. :B
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
mdamerell wrote:
I understand you get moisture from the butter and the meat but for a crock pot to work properly it requires it to be 1/2 to 2/3 full of liquid to transfer the heat. I would be concerned about the amount of time it would take it to get up to temperature and how long it would be in the "danger zone" for bacteria. Everything needs to get above 140 in 2 hours or you risk getting sick. Crock pot normally around 170 so you won't get there in time.Recipe looks interesting and worth a try, but I'd do this one in the oven.Thanks for the recipe.

They must have proven otherwise over the years. I too used to think that same way but there are many meat recipes that do not put any water in the crock pot. That is pretty much left over from when they first came out that you had to 'fill' the darn thing up with water to cover what ever meat you put in it. THE reason everything always tasted the same and why I NEVER cook in one. Until now!!

Check out Cooks Country on TV.
They actually try to find and test recipes that do NOT use all that water which IS what makes almost everything taste the same in a crock pot.

They had a great recipe for BBQ Brisket in a crock pot.
1- brisket
1- foil pan turned upside down
That's it!

They put an inverted foil pan in the bottom to capture and suck in any juice from the meat so it tasted like it had been BBQ's not drowned in a crock pot and it looked great. When it was done they showed how all the juices were sucked 'under' the foil pan, so the brisket stayed dry. Real interesting.

Here's a snipit off their website:

BBQ Brisket-Slow Cooker
Why this recipe works:
A simple rubโ€”salt, pepper, brown sugar, cumin, chipotle chiles, and paprikaโ€”imparted smoky, spicy flavor to our Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Brisket. To allow the flavors to permeate, we lightly scored the fat on the brisket before rubbing. To minimize the moisture absorbed by the brisket (which traditionally isnโ€™t cooked directly in liquid), we came up with an unorthodox solution: elevating the meat off the bottom of the slow cooker with an inverted loaf pan. The liquid exuded from the meat during cooking was drawn under the loaf pan by a vacuum effect, which meant that the slow cooker more closely mimicked how a real barbecue cooks. To bump up the flavor of this liquid, we sautรฉed onion, garlic, tomato paste, and chipotle chiles and added this to the slow cooker, under the loaf pan, to cook along with the brisket.

http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/Slow-Cooker-BBQ-Beef-Brisket-Recipe-Cook-s-Country/18521/