cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please help...my burgers are tasteless

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
Not the buns or condiments...but the beef itself. It is quality beef, fresh ground, 20% fat. I use a charcoal grill or sometimes pan fry in a cast iron pan on high heat.

Do you folks out there add anything to your beef?

Or do you leave it alone, pretty much, maybe S &P only?

My burgers do not taste like they do at a GOOD burger joint.

Thanks
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L
57 REPLIES 57

BackerBunch
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
A good burger begins with good meat. Donot buy from Wall Mart. Go to a local mom and pop grocery store that still dresses their own meat from local farmers. The quality is world's apart from big chain stores. Then cook with only saltand pepper. We Americans have forgotten what real local grown beef taste like. Go local. How will not be disappointed.

X10 more. We found a farm down the road from us we buy our beef and pork from. The cattle graze in open paddocks and fed hay when the weather dictates. They are antibiotic free (when itโ€™s needed they separate the ones that get it from the ones who donโ€™t and sell them to the grocery stores), hormone free with no added nitrates or nitrites. The meat tastes amazing and every piece weโ€™ve ever bought has been tender.
Brenda

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
1 package of lipton onion soup mixed per pound of hamburger. Sometimes we add and egg, bacon, and A1 steak sauce. Excellent.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Just because you use 80/20 beef means nothing. Different cuts of beef have different flavors. The problem is not the seasoning, it's the beef!

Absolutely! You first have to ignore the fact that Walmart other big chains use pink slime, they don't. They along with other chains use meat ground from meat destined to be hamburger. The only real questionable meat is from the big chubs, you won't ever get a decent burger from meat jammed into a tube.
If you buy from a market that has a loose ground burger, preferably with a little pork in it, and it is 80/20 you're 75% of the way there.
Never pack a patty, shape it. Don't make it too thin. Make a small indention with your thumb in the center. Flip it once and don't overcook. It must be a little loose and be packed to just hold together.
As far as flavor goes,good burger doesn't have to have anything else. The flavor is in the fat and if its its there. Softened onions and or peppers are good as are a lot spice mixes from lemon pepper on. I'm partial to Webers Deluxe hamburger spice.
We buy what is know as Boston Burger here which is 80/20 beef and pork. we have to buy it from one location that grinds its own, others have introduced a pre-packaged that sucks.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
A good burger begins with good meat. Do not buy from Wall Mart. Go to a local mom and pop grocery store that still dresses their own meat from local farmers. The quality is world's apart from big chain stores. Then cook with only saltand pepper. We Americans have forgotten what real local grown beef taste like. Go local. How will not be disappointed.

X10

Remember the expose of pink slime in all of Walmarts hamburger and other stores?

Well...it's due soon to be back in your meat again!

The maker of the beef product dubbed "pink slime" by critics is reopening a plant that it shut in the face of bad publicity two years ago.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/13/news/companies/pink-slime/index.html

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
A good burger begins with good meat. Donot buy from Wall Mart. Go to a local mom and pop grocery store that still dresses their own meat from local farmers. The quality is world's apart from big chain stores. Then cook with only saltand pepper. We Americans have forgotten what real local grown beef taste like. Go local. How will not be disappointed.

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
I crush up some "DARE" vegatable flavored crackers, chop up a yellow onion and add Worchester Sauce. Once I form the pattys I spinkle Lawrlys seasoned salt when they are on the gas grill. Tastes great if I say so myself. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
Mix some Santa Maria rub in the meat before you form the patties and you won't be disappointed.
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
2009 Weekend Warrior Superlite
B&W Companion
2006 Arctic Cat 650 H1 (x2 His and Hers)
An Awesome Family!

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
My secret is in the processing of the beef ...

Stun, bleed, gut, skin and hang for two weeks at 40ยฐF.

Then grind with mix of 73% lean and 27% fat.

Do not cook past "medium rare".

Your mouth will love you forever.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

msredneck84
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
I like to sprinkle some Lawyers season salt on the hamburgers, chicken or whatever I am frying. Sometimes I use garlic salt.
Fred.

I think you mean Lawry's seasoned salt? We use that quite often too.

X3 on the Lawry's. My Mother used this and so I continue the tradition. Lawry's is great for steaks also, sprinkle some on green salad, yum, yum!
Drinking out of my saucer!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
I like to sprinkle some Lawyers season salt on the hamburgers, chicken or whatever I am frying. Sometimes I use garlic salt.
Fred.

I think you mean Lawry's seasoned salt? We use that quite often too.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Just because you use 80/20 beef means nothing. Different cuts of beef have different flavors. The problem is not the seasoning, it's the beef!

X-2

It's all about how the 'beef' is processed.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
20%fat is a pretty fatty burger. Fat makes it taste good, but I don't want my burger to kill me. We use 93% lean beef

Since elk burger has no fat in it we have a little beef fat mixed in so that it will cook and form burgers. Last batch had about 7% beef fat mixed in, and after some fat sticks to the grinder its 94-95% lean.

I think the lower fat burgers, beef or elk, cook and taste better. Fat is good, but like salt too much happens very quickly.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Worcestershire Sauce worked into the beef before shaping the patties does make a nice difference. I also sometimes use Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, again, worked into the meat.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Cavender's greek seasoning. Great stuff. I use it on nearly every type of meat and have for years. Oh, and cook the burgers on the grill with the lid open if you like grilled burgers. Close the lid and you are baking them and might as well use the oven. I like Kingsford charcoal with the hickory wood already in it.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."